shimano A520/ A530 pedals

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Neil F

shimano A520/ A530 pedals

Post by Neil F »

Has any body experience of these pedals good or bad. Do they hang SPD side up or down ?
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

I have not used Shimano A520 or A530 pedals, but I do have two bikes with M324 pedals. These are similar in that they have SPD fittings one side and a flat surface on the other. They tend to align themselves vertically with the SPD fitting on the surface pointing forward. To get my cleats to engage, I put my foot on the pedal and pull it back slightly to rotate the pedal so the binding is pointing upward, then push down/forward to engage the cleat.

On the rare occasions that I am not using cleats, I usually struggle to get the flat side first time, but that is through lack of practice more than anything else.

The A530/A530 look very sleek!
Paul Smith SRCC

Re: shimano A520/ A530 pedals

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

Neil F wrote:Has any body experience of these pedals good or bad. Do they hang SPD side up or down ?

I had a customer ask that very thing this morning, I checked the following straight out of the box and all remained in the same postion that I put them in, note I mentioned straight out of the box so being brand new and not 'run in' that was to be expected:

Image Shimano A520

Image Shimano A530

Image Shimano M324

7_lives_left wrote:...but I do have two bikes with M324 pedals. These are similar in that they have SPD fittings one side and a flat surface on the other. They tend to align themselves vertically with the SPD fitting on the surface pointing forward....

Here is a picture I took about a year ago of my hybrid-town and around-tow path-pub bike that I took to do a post about rear lights, so in effect was nothing to do with the pedal position, they spin easier when they have been used for a while although I note both were in the opposite position than 7 lives mentioned with SPD section facing towards the back of the bike (maybe lost in translation, he may well be saying stating the same as me), a quick visit to my garage confirms that they spin freely and are both in the same position as below, I did spin them a few times to confirm.

Image Shimano M324

I dare say that in time the A520/530 pedals would do the same as the platform sections are lighter than the M324 pedals.

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Like 7 lives, I have the M324 and they do as he says. I only use them now on my winter bike. Depending on which side you want it's either just put your foot down and locate the cleat or flip it over, a bit like using toeclips for anybody with a memory of that. This type of pedal has often been recommended on here as a way of trying them out for first time users - they certainly have never given me any problems.
Paul Smith SRCC

thirdcrank wrote:Like 7 lives, I have the M324 and they do as he says. I only use them now on my winter bike. Depending on which side you want it's either just put your foot down and locate the cleat or flip it over, a bit like using toeclips for anybody with a memory of that. This type of pedal has often been recommended on here as a way of trying them out for first time users - they certainly have never given me any problems.

Odd how you both have found the pedal come to rest in a different position to mine, as I checked them last night, they spin very easily, I have some more pictures with the cranks at different points of the revolution that illustrate how mine differ.

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk
Member of the Pedal Club
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

I find that my M324s usually are cleats up unless I've knocked them. They tend not to spin so if I need the other side they'll get there after a pedal rotation. It's certainly a lot easier than toe-clip pedals.

As an aside why would you chose the A520 style of pedal over a double sided one?
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Paul Smith SRCC

fatboy wrote:...As an aside why would you chose the A520 style of pedal over a double sided one?

The main advantage is ground clearance, some use SPD on a race bike, when high speed cornering it is possible to clip the ground with the pedal.

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk
Member of the Pedal Club
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In relation to the 324s i.e. double-sided, but with SPD on only one side, mine settle just as in the above full-bike pic., and I thought that was what I was agreeing with: i.e. for spd side, hit it with the sole, for other side, it needs flipping over. (All the other model numbers meant nothing to me before the pics were posted)

As far as one-sided full-stop goes, I have some Ultegra SPD (i.e. standard SPD not any of the SPD-R versions etc) and they settle SPD side down. Just a smooth flick over with the toe. This took a bit more getting used to - my first serious goe with SPD and once or twice at lights I ended up with the cleat on the back of the pedal.

(If CJ is reading this thread, I know he does not approve of single-sided SPD of that type. I was growing old, trying to stay youngish :oops: when I bought them - and they are good pedals.)
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

Paul Smith SRCC wrote:Odd how you both have found the pedal come to rest in a different position to mine, as I checked them last night, they spin very easily, I have some more pictures with the cranks at different points of the revolution that illustrate how mine differ.

:oops: Paul Smith is right, I have it backwards, my binding do point as his picture indicated and not as I originally claimed. Sorry for the confusion. I even went and checked the bike in the garage before my original post, I am not sure how I got it wrong. :oops:
Cyclenut

Post by Cyclenut »

thirdcrank wrote:If CJ is reading this thread, I know he does not approve of single-sided SPD of that type.

In that case it will surprise you to know that I'm the first person contributing to this thread, who does actually have a well-used pair of the actual A520 one-sided pedals in question, in his posession! To prove it here's a picture showing exactly how they align at rest, when the seals and bearings are run in.
In a moment of weakness I was beguiled by their sleek good looks, blinded to the facts that nobody, least of all me, would be able to see them in use, and that they're going to wear out twice as fast! Actually it wasn't the cornering issue (I've never found it any hardship to freewheel around sharp corners) but I thought the more extensive platform of the A520 might ease a slight discomfort my daughter was experiencing in one foot. I don't think they made any difference in her case, it was probably the shoe, but people with bigger feet might appreciate the extra support.
Chris Juden (at home and not asleep)
Neil F

Post by Neil F »

The reason this question came about was some years ago I bought a bike with double sided spd's. I found that starting on hills with heavy loads dangerous and ,living on the Devon Cornwall border I get a lot of pratice at hills. Also on tracks with a loose surface at slow speed with a loaded bike I need to get my foot down quickly. SJS cycle had a cheap pair of single sided pedals on offer so I invested them and they were very good. When left alone they go SPD up so are easy to engage without looking. Now the pedal's are nearly worn out I started to look at what was about to replace them. I had aquired a pair of single sided wellgo pedals , but they went SPD down and need fliping every time and are very difficult to use . Looking at the A520/30's I wondered if the were Shimano's triumph of form over function , they look good but are they any use. 99% of the time is on the SPD side but the flat side can be a life saver. What sounds like a trivial aside could save an accident.
Alastair K

Post by Alastair K »

I've got a pair of the A530s and find them to be very 'postion neutral' - I still find myself glancing down to see which side is facing up. I find the flat side (non SPD) is really useful in stop-start traffic.
I've landed on them a couple of times and they seem to soak up the abuse very well. Good pedals.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I have the 324s and they've just done about 5000 miles. I find they stay in the orientation I have last used them which 99% of the time is spd. However, I do like the ability to wear other shoes as I only run one bike for everything. Neil f makes a good point about the flat being useful off road. I'm sure its my lack of skill/nerve but on rocky decents I like the security of being able to get my foot down pdq.

The cleats they use are multi-release (release in both horizontal directions), I'm not sure if all the pedals mentioned above take the same cleat?
BrianInnes

Post by BrianInnes »

My A520s are quite worn now, they tend to end up cleat side down :cry: So the bottom surface of my left pedal is now quit badly chewed up from my shoe cleat trying to clip in and finding the pedal upside down! These a530s look interesting.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

I have one sided pedals on three bikes - the ubiquitous M324s on the hybrid and SPD-Rs on the Colnago and the Kirk. They always settle in the same location, and fitting in is so routine a matter I don't even think about it.