Garmin Edge 200

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
rollinbone

Garmin Edge 200

Post by rollinbone »

5 years ago I had a torn retina in my left eye and surgery to correct it and the cateract Result is that the eye has a fixed focus on infinity.
So I rely on my short sighted right eye to gather info from computers/gps on my handlebars, and it has to be clearly presented

When I saw this Garmin Edge 200 on page 20 of the CTC magazine (oct-nov 2011) I thought that the display looked very easy to read
So after looking at reviews including the excellent DCrainmaker's:-
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/08/garm ... eview.html
and others, I decided to take the plunge, increase the nation debt, and ordered one on line for £129.99

It arrived noon Saturday 22 oct 2011 and within an hour I was out the door with it (came charged @ 93%) eager to test it out
It gained signal before I was out the door but lost it when I entered Tesco.
However it got the signal back within 2 seconds of my leaving the store and continued my 'ride'. Yes I was on foot but you have to start somewhere.

On return home I got onto the Garmin Connect site, registered and more by luck than judgement managed to upload my 'ride' to the database.
Here I re-cateragized my 'ride' to 'hiking' and interested myself for about 2 minutes on resulting stats of my 2 mile walk, map and all.

Sunday 23 oct '11 I managed to do another test this time on a bike for about 24 miles
I mounted the devise along with a Cateye computer to get an impression of the display differences, if any.
Note that I had the Garmin's brightness turned fully up to level 5 and the backlight switched on at all times.
#2_2.jpg

You are not able to do that sort of thing with my Cateye computers, but then the batteries do last about a year while the specs for the Garmin say its battery will last for 14 hours.

see video:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMwxQ-9iaLc

I find the Cateye's background is a medium greenish grey while the Garmin's is a more nutral and lighter grey
Both screens vary depending on the type/direction of the sunlight falling on them but I found the Garmins was more readable at all levels
Also the font on the Garmin is more Bold than the slightly 'skinny' Cateye type face and so is more readable.
I find some of the Cateye's data fields unreadable at a glace so to me are useless.
Note: I have 2 Cateye computers an Adventure and a Strada. Of the two the Strada is the more readable

For me this seems just what I need a simple to use, easy to read computer for my bike(s)
You do have to remember to start a 'ride' before each time you set off though, then it starts recording and presents the
Speed etc display.
Has added bonus that you dont have to attach magnets or transmitters to your bike(s), or adjust the wheel size
you just move from bike to bike. And if you are into stats you can get into garmin connect and download courses etc
Must admit not gone into the full possiblities of that yet as this is my 1st Garmin device.

I have been using a SatMap Active 10 since 2008 when touring so have a eWerk on my touring bike to charge it.
I connected the Garmin up to the eWerk briefly during my test ride using same micro usb lead, and it seemed to work OK
Did not get a display that it was charging but did get one when I stopped - that it had 'lost external power'

Cannot see me taking this and the Satmap on a tour,, but it will be used a lot I'm sure on both my bikes on day trips
#1_2.jpg