Shipping a bike box (no bike) from England to France

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
raybo

Shipping a bike box (no bike) from England to France

Post by raybo »

I will be doing a bike tour across France in May, 2008. I will be starting in Beaconsfield (west of London), riding to Portsmouth, ferry to Normandy and then ride to Avignon.

I will be flying in from the US with my bike in a box (S&S coupled bike broken down into a suitcase). I need to get the box, without the bike in it, from Beaconsfield to Avignon. I've looked at UPS rate (65 pounds) and was wondering if there is any other option that might be cheaper? Is this something I would be able to do via the Royal Mail?

The bike box is the same dimensions of the largest piece of luggage you can take on an airplane without oversize charges.

Thanks,

Ray
rexlerego

Bike Box Beconsfield to Avignon..

Post by rexlerego »

Hi. Like the sound of your ride.

Try interparcel.com I have used this service and the prices U.K. to France are very reasonable. The last time cost £24-50. for a package weighing 25 Kilos. Your dimensions will be o.k. They collect from your door and deliver within 48 hours to most European destinations...

If you don't have an Avignon address most bike shops will oblige.

Good luck with the tour.

a.k.a. Globalcyclist
Ben Lovejoy

Post by Ben Lovejoy »

I second the recommendation - I've used them several times, and they are reliable and very inexpensive.
TRICE Q with Streamer fairing for the fun stuff
Brompton M3L for the commutery stuff
LEJOG blog: http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/tripreports/lejog/