BT Openreach cyclists stay back

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Airsporter1st

Re: BT Openreach cyclists stay back

Post by Airsporter1st »

thirdcrank wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 3:29pm Bearing in mind that that image seems to date from 2014 and the link doesn't seem to include any contemporaneous comment about the circumstances, I'm at a bit of a loss to see what it contributes now, especially in the context of "stay back". . I could well imagine that the driver of the police car had gone down the dedicated left-turn lane and then continued straight ahead. Perhaps the toast was burning, or more likely IME, the driver was trying to get to some pressing incident. I note that in spite of the green traffic light, the peloton before the junction all seem to have their toes/feet down. Perhaps something has happened in front of them. IMO, the main point is that without explanation from somebody who was there, a single image isn't necessarily a good guide to an event.

There's no more law-abiding driver than me, but there are times when a bit of improvisation is necessary. It's not me in that image but in other circumstances it might have been.
Shouldn't he have been using his blue lights if that were the case?
thirdcrank

Re: BT Openreach cyclists stay back

Post by thirdcrank »

Airsporter1st wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 4:07pm

Shouldn't he have been using his blue lights if that were the case?
Bearing in mind that blue lights flash, I'm not convinced that one still photograph would be conclusive that blue lights were not in use.

My relevant blue light anecdote dates back to the time when they were rotating beacons. Answering some now long-forgotten emergency, I once dashed out of the Old Upper Wortley Police Station in Leeds, wondering why I seemed to be getting less even less clearance from other drivers than usual.. I remember arriving at whatever needed my attention on Wellington Road and when I got out, I found the single blue light on illuminated, but not rotating. The car had been defected several times but returned by our in-house garage as they were waiting for whatever bits make beacons rotate.

I still can't see the point of recycling an old image like this. (I do have an endless store of true anecdotes to illustrate my waffling.)