Claiming from motorists

alanwxr

Post by alanwxr »

"Greg" think you'll find I said on narrow roads, and referred to the roads in the Dales.

If you think that's ok, I rest my case!

Hmmmm, wonder what the Highway Code says? :-)

That's the last comment I'm gonna make in this thread!
simon l6 and a bit

Post by simon l6 and a bit »

part of the reason club rides travel in pairs is that it's often safer to do so. If young Alan is miffed because overtaking manoevres are more time-consuming, then we must be content to feel his pain. If he fears meeting cyclists coming the other way then we can only wish him well in his next encounter with a tractor.....

Cyclists are an ornament to the countryside, in contrast to a substantial minority motorcyclists who tear up and down small roads and trails emitting horrible noises.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

alanwxr wrote:
That's the last comment I'm gonna make in this thread!

Good!

Mick F. Cornwall
alanwxr

Post by alanwxr »

I lied - Couldn't resist just one more comment.

Simon is obviously a good example why cyclists should take a test and be registered, at least that way you'd have have to read the Highway Code at least once!

Think the bit you should read is on page 15 where it says summat like cyclist should ride in single file on narrow and fast roads.

Anyway, I'm not bothered it's your life not mine.
Greg

Post by Greg »

The highway code states that
[cyclists] should*:

- cycle no more than two abreast.
- ride in single file on narrow or busy roads.

* "should" denoting a recommended measure, which is not compulsory. Compulsory measures are denoted by "must".

I didn't see your comments about riding two abreast being specifically related to your comments about narrow roads in the Dales. Sorry if there's been a bit of a communication breakdown.

However, on really narrow roads, I make a point of cycling in the middle of the road. A myth seems to have developed that a bike only needs about a foot of space in which to ride, and lots of vehicles almost force me off the road when they overtake at speed. In fact, I've been hit by somoeone doing that before. So if I consider the road too narrow for safe high-speed overtaking, I block it and make sure people slow down before I let them overtake. This may be the reason why you encounter people steadfastly riding in pairs on narrow roads. They realise they're slowing you down, but consider that their safety is more important than your speed of passage. All road users have different needs and different vulnerabilities.

If you don't see cyclists as annoyancies which get in your way, but as people and as road users who have just as much right to use the road as you do, you'll appreciate that everyone's rights need to be balanced, and won't mind it when cyclists hold you up for a few seconds. I've got nothing against bikers - my dad rides a fazer 6 and I'll probably get a licence when I've got the money and can be bothered. I'm fine with the 'noisiness' some people on here have talked about - it's all in the process of give and take.
Last edited by Greg on 20 Mar 2007, 3:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Post by Greg »

alanwxr wrote:I lied - Couldn't resist just one more comment.

Simon is obviously a good example why cyclists should take a test and be registered, at least that way you'd have have to read the Highway Code at least once!

Think the bit you should read is on page 15 where it says summat like cyclist should ride in single file on narrow and fast roads.

Anyway, I'm not bothered it's your life not mine.

You obviously haven't read or remembered the highway code since you quoted wrongly from it just then, and couldn't remember what it said before. From Simon's posts in general, I suspect he's read it a lot more than you have. Now take your prejudice against cylists, shove it up your exhaust pipe and read the highway code for yourself. And in future follow these three simple steps:

1) Keep repeating to yourself while you ride, "Cyclists have every bit as much right to the road as I do. Cyclists have every bit as much right to the road as I do."
2) Remember that many cyclists do what you find annoying for their own safety.
3) Remember that if you kill a cyclist, it's you who'll be in court.
alanwxr

Post by alanwxr »

Strange that "Greg" it was in front of me when I sent the last post.

No worries, I must have the Yorkshire version :-)

Can't say I've killed any cyclists, or tried too, but I have seen the odd one ride under a wagon, not a pretty sight! And it was the cyclist fault!

By the way cyclists are just like all other groups, car drivers, motorcyclists, whatever, good and bad in em all. Don't get blinded by your own prejudices!
nortones2

Post by nortones2 »

But they don't have 120hp and threaten other road users by their mass x velocity, which is your stance. Thats why the Police have umarked patrols of our local roads: the criminal element. With chopper power at hand, I look forward to a few crushings....
alanwxr

Post by alanwxr »

You've got me lost "nortones2".

If I have that attitude I wonder why I was the main witness in a hit and run with a cyclist who was knocked off his bike by a car? The car driver was caught and found guilty by the way!

Contrary to what some seem to think it isn't a battle out there on the roads, when I ride a motorcycle I do it to enjoy it. I drive a car when I have too.

Never had any points on my licence and never abused a cyclist :-)

But love the odd wind up of those that take themselves far too seriously.

p.s. Well done "Greg" noticed you deftly edited your post after my post, clever eh :-) Makes it look like you'd read the Highway Code sometime. Know one thing though, if I was your father I'd worry about your attitude on the road.

p.p.s This is definitely my last post on this thread. It's all worn out now..........all ride safe whether you do it with a motor or not :-)
Greg

Post by Greg »

alanwxr, What attitude?

Another question is, how much have you ridden a bike on the roads? You may never have intended to run any cyclist over, but neither did the old man who overtook me leaving all of 6 inches to spare recently. Many many drivers do things which they don't realise are bad for cyclists, but actually are. Goodwill is not a guarantee of good driving.

Also, I note here that you were the first person to introduce any stereotypes into this thread, talking about lycra louts and whatnot. Of course there are good and bad road users in every category of vehicle, and I've never suggested otherwise. You have appeared to promote a stereotype, I don't know whether you intended that or not.

Finally, sorry if I caught you out with my editing. I didn't mean to. However, the only thing I can see I edited was that I took the highway code bit out of [pre] tags, since I found they didn't actually do anything on here. The actual highway code bit was in my original post, so I assume you didn't see it.
nortones2

Post by nortones2 »

Re 'If I have that attitude I wonder why I was the main witness in a hit and run with a cyclist who was knocked off his bike by a car? The car driver was caught and found guilty by the way! ', Where did I make it personal in any way? I was referring to a portion of the m'cycling population that use the roads as a racetrack - you may or may not, but it really doesn't matter, as your riding was not the issue. As Greg said earlier, there is an apparent indifference by some m'cyclists to the effect of their riding, and the risk imposed, on other road users. One instance was a steady climb (me on cycle) from a village called Ribchester, towards Longridge fell. I could hear something hitting peak revs in several gears, fast approaching: it passed at probably over 100, followed by 3 more at a similar rate. BTW, I have been to bike race meetings, and the IoM, and enjoy speed. But a narrow single carriagway road is not the place for that sort of speed. They use these roads because they are likely to get away with it: or were!
Tony

Post by Tony »

Am I too late to use my troll-poking stick?
Perhaps our resident petrolheads could try and understand why group rides often spread out. An example: York rally, last year. Returning from Thorpe Arch on the medium ride out, approximately 30 cyclists, possibly more. We are approaching a right turn off a main road, bunched, plenty of hand signals, and the car behind us overtakes.

Now that takes a great deal of Highway Code reading. And while that was stupid enough, five seconds later another driver, who must have seen the whole thing, repeated the manoeuvre. Even more imbecilic.

And Mr Motorcycling person, can you tell us from your edition of the Highway Code what it says about speed limits?
meic

Post by meic »

This argument between motorcyclists and cyclists seems to be a bit ridiculous.
I have ridden motorcycles, my main employment has been as a despatch rider and I passed the advanced AIM test twenty years ago.
When I ride a motorbike I treat pedestrians, cyclists and horses with great consideration. In my early days I knocked up enough points to make me leave the country! One of my motorbikes is very fast and powerful the other is very noisy and smoky. I wouldnt mind meeting myself on the road any time.
However I must admit that the Advanced test and the Police class 1 riders DO NOT consider cycles in their training and play them lipservice only.
You will be penalised for riding in a style which considers the possibility of meeting a push cyclist.
However both the bycycle and the motorcycle are being controlled by me, not them controlling me.
Whilst cycling along a country road without room to overtake a cycle whilst traffic was flowing the other way, I was signalled by a Police motorcyclist to move into the gutter. I replied by gesturing to him to stop so I could have a go at him but he wasnt bothered to stop and discuss things with a mere cyclist.
We are all aware of the utter hypocrasy of the situation. He asked me to move over so cars could squeeze past me. If I was to attempt to ride my motorbike which is the same width between the two streams of traffic when I have a much greater degree of protection, stability and control. He would quite rightly nick me for dangerous driving.
I am continuing to ride my cycle in the left half of my lane as this is my interpretation of cyclists must stay to the left. If I am stopped by a Police Officer I will argue the toss and force him (probably to my cost with the attitude of magistrates) to take me to court on the issue to clarify our lack of rights with a legal precedent.
All this is written by a very high mileage motorcycle club member.
I also manage to share my road with other users when I am in the car!
Tony

Post by Tony »

...and mine is a ZZR1100.......and I agree absolutely with the last poster.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

joecyclist wrote:from your attitude alanwxr I doubt you are a cyclist but rather an ignorant 4x4 driver at war with every other road user!Please tell me I'm wrong!

google 'alanwxr' and see for yourself.