Cycling for the disabled in/around Edinburgh

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mr D Wilkie

Cycling for the disabled in/around Edinburgh

Post by Mr D Wilkie »

I am a health care professional working with people with Neurological disability. Many of my patients are keen to get back on a bike but need advice and support with both equipment (e.g. tricycle for poor balance) and confidence (e.g. safe places and people to cycle with).
Has anyone any information about hire of tricycles or modified cycles for disabled?
Does anyone know of any groups in or around Edinburgh who may be able to provide help or support?
Thanks
Hugo

Trike

Post by Hugo »

I am more knowledgeable than any about disabled trikes Mr. Wilkie.

The hand cranked trike is a great blessing; I have got one.

The hand cranked disabled wheel chair has ben in existence for 70 years or
so but the concept of handals was never developed and was the main cause for lack of development.

People whom I have met using a really old Hand cranked wheel chair have called them pedals, and in can become subliminally veryt confusing, which is why I have submitted the word "handal" to the OED as a new word.

If you look at http://www.garethhowell.net/cleancycle.jpg
you should find a .jpg of my current trike/chair on which I do about 5 miles a day and in the summer up to 30miles/day

Look at that first and then post me back, with questions.

please also post privately., if you will, as the subject is only of marginal interest to members here, but of great interest to myself and yourself too evidently!

As far as I know there is only one other member of CTCmb who uses a hand crank. There is a national club called the UKHCA
UK Hand Cycling Association) which is run by Doc.Abrutat, and he has about a hundred members or so.
Doc Abrutat is also disabled from road injury.

Regards
cpedw

Post by cpedw »

Spokes offer accompanied cycling for people wanting to get some advice/ develop confidence on the road. Not targetted at disabled but they might be able to help.
http://www.spokes.org.uk/

Derek