Foreign Countries

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F

Foreign Countries

Post by Mick F »

HI,

I spent 27 years in the Royal Navy, and many times I took one bike or another on my trips away in Her Majesty’s Ships. So I’ve cycled in quite a few foreign countries:

(In no particular order)
Gibraltar, including to the Top of the Rock, and into Spain.
Naples, including up Vesuvius to the Seismic Observatory.
Corfu
Haifa, Israel
Bahrain
Mombassa, Kenya
Karachi, Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Malaysia
Thailand
Bermuda
Singapore
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Jakarta, Indonesia
Nassau, Bahamas
Bunbury, Western Australia
Adelaide
Sydney, including into the Blue Mountains
Hobart to Port Arthur, Tasmania
Caen, and the Normandy Coast
Bremen, Germany
Bremerhaven, Germany
Antwerp
Amsterdam
Copenhagen
USA:
500 miles from Niagara Falls, Canada to Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Taking in New York State, Vermont and Massachusetts.
Florida, Cape Canaveral and Jacksonville.
Wilmington, North Carolina
Manhattan

Can anyone beat that?

Mick F. Cornwall
gar

Re:Foreign Countries

Post by gar »

So you re a sea salt as well as a land lubber!
What a wonderful list. you make me feel quite envious ..... but you have not mentionned the foul smells of the engine room......!
Nurgles

Post by Nurgles »

Well not so many countries as that but can include Iraq....before the recent troubles of course !!

so there !!
Mick F

Post by Mick F »

Should I be contacting The Guinness Book of Records?

Mick F. Cornwall
andysdad

Post by andysdad »

Why not? Even if it doesn’t turn out to be a record its still a pretty impressive list.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I've got a similar list, Mick. Again courtesy of the Grey Funnel Line.

However my experiences of the countries visited were in true Royal Navy tradition and I found the hospitality of the local bars an immensely enjoyable experience....hic..!! :-)

Unfortunately there wasn't any space for a deckape's push bike on the deployments I went on. I can imagine you had a great time getting away from it all on yer bike.

Nice one shippers.
Mick F

Post by Mick F »

Hi Dave,

My first couple of ships were just a blur of bars, girls and hangovers .............. (sigh)

Many years ago, my 3speed Raleigh was kept in the hangar. Later bikes were kept in a fan chamber.

Years later, I had a road bike with QR wheels. I stowed the wheels behind my bunk, removed the pedals and seat and stuffed them into my locker. The frame etc, I fixed to the deck-head (that's the ceiling to you landlubbers!) in the cabin with tie-wraps and foam rubber!

Mick F. Cornwall
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fantastic Mick.

Where there's a will, there's a way...!! Should have done the same myself. :-)
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

Can you comment on cycling in these different countries? Which was the best for cycling and which was the worst. Where does UK sit in your 'ranking'?!
Myself I worked in Tokyo and Chiba (the next prefecture) and rode a bike to get around for six months. Bemusing for me, at first, was the fact that cyclists and pedestrians share the walkway. However, I never saw any conflict between a pedestrian and a cyclist, and was impressed by how these groups co-exist. A small number of cyclists, include me and my UK colleagues, used the roads around our house in Chiba with no trouble. For me seeing this acceptance of cycling as a means of transport, I realised how much Britich culture could learn.
I visited Copenhagen last year. Bikes are more common than cars (double decker cycle racks!), cycle locks are small and often absent; cycle lanes are wide and widespread but because of this I guess want can't easily cycle on the main cycleway (the road).
On reflection, what I now value about riding in Loughborough, London and Manchester, is the fact that cyclists can ride on the road, on any road (except M'ways). It would be good to hear more of others experiences of riding abroad and what they appreciate about cycling in the UK.
dai

Post by dai »

I was in the army so I did all the exoctic places like Salisbury Plain (tanks for the memory), Aldershot, London and NI.
I see Wales is missing off your list - Camarthen Bay to tricky for you was it!
Mick F

Post by Mick F »

Wales - and Scotland - I have cycled in lots! They aren't 'Foreign' - are they?

As for questions about the countries and my preferences .... I'll think about it, and get back to you. Mind you, my experience in Naples stands out.

The ship arrived on a Saturday, I prepared my bike, everyone said that there would be no way I could cycle in Naples with all those Italian car and scooter drivers!

I tried. I left the ship-yard gate straight into a wall of stationary traffic all sounding their horns and trying to drive on the pavements. I coudn't ride, so I walked down the road, found the next gate, then cycled back to the ship!

The following morning, Sunday, was a different story! Empty roads! Quiet! Peace! So I set off south to wind my way up Vesuvius. (You can only cycle up to the Observatory - but still quite high)

I must have more stories, I'll think, and get back to you.

Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F

Post by Mick F »

In '88 I was away for 6 months on a trip via the Med to Middle and Far East, and also Oz.

Funny, but all the places we visited drove on the Left, except Gibraltar!

Then it occured to me, there are far more countries driving on the Left, like us, than drive on the Right. I think it's only The Americas and Continental Europe. The rest of us drive properly!?

Talking of Gib, cycling to the top took some doing, but coming down was awful. My arms and hands ached so much with all the braking effort. I had to keep stopping! Imagine that, having to stop coming down!

Mick F. Cornwall