Exustar touring shoe? or Stelvio? or Stelvio v2?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fenderbender

Exustar touring shoe? or Stelvio? or Stelvio v2?

Post by fenderbender »

I'm quite pleased with my old Specialized Sonoma's but as they've started to show some wear I'm looking for a replacement.
Not so fond of the new all velcro model and had my mind set on the Exustar Stelvio. But then I found this new and classy looking Exustar touring shoe!

But they look a bit narrow so I'd like to check if anyone tried them and what you think?
I have their winter shoes and they don't fit my wide and low feet too well. So I'm a bit put of the idea of buying yet another pair without trying.

Btw, the older version is not on the new Exustar site so maybe it's being faced out.
A furore normannorum libera nos domine!
CJ

Post by CJ »

What you've seen on the Exustar site is an altogether new and different shoe. The only common feature with the Stelvio is the use of leather in the upper, which in this model has perforations that undermine the water resistant properties of this material. The sole is indeed narrower and less stable for walking, plus it will wear out sooner. The heel in particular is very small.

Good news is that RSI have ordered another batch of Stelvio shoes. So you'll just have to wait a while for them to come in.

They have nevertheless made a few changes, but all to the good. At my suggestion the tongue is now also leather - so no more sweaty patch on an otherwise dry sock. This shoe also gets a new sole, but not that thin pinched affair of the so-called touring shoe! The new Stelvio sole contrives to look less chunky than the original whilst actually remaining just as wide and thick, i.e. good and stable for walking and just as long-lasting. It'll look more in keeping with street shoes (good for those who want to leave them on at work) and function better with toeclips (for the few who still use such things) since it won't any more have those deep slots that randomly snag the edges of a rat-trap pedal. The only thing the new Stelvio won't be as good for as the old is scrambling about in slippy mud. Well you can't have it all!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

CJ wrote:Good news is that RSI have ordered another batch of Stelvio shoes. So you'll just have to wait a while for them to come in.
Chris, who are RSI and how do we order? Thanks, Kevin
fenderbender

Post by fenderbender »

Thanks for your reply Chris!
Like Kevin I'd like to know how to lay my mitts on a pair.
:D
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

fenderbender wrote:Thanks for your reply Chris!
Like Kevin I'd like to know how to lay my mitts on a pair.
:D

You may still be able to get the original versions, I used to work at www.bikeplus.co.uk, I bought nearly all the stock that the distributors had still instock while I was still there as I knew they were going to be in short supply, they may still have some, alternatively a google shopping search listed many others

As for the new model and the original version with updates that Chris mentioned you could try contacting the UK distributor:

Riva Sports Industries
69 Manor Park Road
London
NW10 4JX
Tel: 44 (0) 208 965 2510
Fax: 44 (0) 208 963 0662
Email: rsi@ariane-int.com

Paul_Smith
Touring Tips
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
fenderbender

Post by fenderbender »

Thank's Paul and a Wheely Happy New Year to you all!

(not me but Australian musician Linsey Pollak)
CJ

Post by CJ »

kwkirby02 wrote:Chris, who are RSI and how do we order? Thanks, Kevin

Paul has pretty much answered that. I was advised to expect the new batch in February or March. So unless you can find some old stock in your size, it's worth waiting a while yet.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Graham

Re: Exustar touring shoe?

Post by Graham »

Has anyone come across the Stelvio v2, as mentioned by CJ above ??

I can still find the original model through various retailers.
I'm also aware of the E-SRT707 Touring Shoes model, which is a bit different.
No sign of the Stelvio v2 though (yet).
drossall

Re: Exustar touring shoe? or Stelvio? or Stelvio v2?

Post by drossall »

I found this old thread. I've been using SPDs for years, but I've now acquired a Holdsworth Mistral (through this forum), in as-new condition. I want to go back to clips and straps on that bike, just because it's authentic.

I actually have some Stelvios, but they have deep threads that would catch on the pedals.

What are good, modestly-priced touring shoes, with heels and reasonably smooth soles, and not velcro fasteners (which would catch on the toe straps)? I've seen some Vittoria ones at over £100, but that's above my budget for the purpose.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Update - looks as though the Stelvio 705 is what I want, and the shoes I have already are the Stelvio 600. The 705s have much more suitable soles for "rat-trap" pedals. Is this right?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

drossall wrote:Update - looks as though the Stelvio 705 is what I want, and the shoes I have already are the Stelvio 600. The 705s have much more suitable soles for "rat-trap" pedals. Is this right?

well if u want some u best get them quick as they are discontinued. some sizes not available or in short supply it seems. you should also realise they are ( and the previous) whats called action leather - leather with a plastic coat on top. probably the best soln for such type of foot ware but over time the plastic covering can come off. I have a pair of motor cycle boots that have gone that way, very old now and worn out and about to be dumped. I have a pair of the 705s, just got mine and the soles are good and thick but no lumps, with a very fine & thin tread. I dont intend to use mine with spds and I think the sole should last a long time, I hope the tops do also. They are also easy to walk with once worn a bit, but the back can slop a bit as the sole is so stiff. Could also be useful for walking on tracks where u have to punch into the ground. I use ordinary pedals and dont have any problem, but had to raise the seat a bit due to the thickness of the sole. I dont know how the thickness of the sole affects straps as dont use them. I get the impression that proper road shoes have much thinner soles.

705s.jpg

sole.jpg

Another thread mentioned these shoes -

http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/categories/arturo-cycle-shoes.html

which also seem good & dont use plastic covered leather( I think). The soles look thinner & are at a good price. I think these are the only cheap options, after these its £120+?
drossall

Post by drossall »

Thanks, that's all very helpful.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

drossall wrote:Thanks, that's all very helpful.

if u decide to get the Arturo maybe post your comments on them?
I must say the leather of them looks rather rough, dont know what to make of that.

arturo.JPG

I did contact them and ask for some pics of the soles. the ones they sent me not good.
maybe be nice shoes but they dont know how to sell them well?

"The soles used on the cycle shoes we produce here in our factory are 4mm thick and can be repaired / replaced."

IMG-20140206-00521a.jpg
IMG-20140206-00521a.jpg (2.08 KiB) Viewed 13517 times

IMG-20140206-00522a.jpg
IMG-20140206-00522a.jpg (2.17 KiB) Viewed 13517 times

IMG-20140206-00523a.jpg
IMG-20140206-00523a.jpg (2.09 KiB) Viewed 13517 times
drossall

Post by drossall »

Again, that's helpful. My question was about the company's cycling pedigree. The thing with cycling shoes is to have stiffened soles. Modern touring/MTB shoes have soles that flex upwards (so that you can walk) but not downwards (so that you can pedal efficiently).

It's not clear whether the Arturo shoes are designed in this way or not, as it's not mentioned on the site. I'll email to ask.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well the 705's dont "flex" much if at all, if u mean bend - but they are curved in the way u describe.
the stiff ness of the 705 comes from the fibreglass? insole rather than the sole its self I think. presumably the same as for the previous model.

Willam Lennon - I dont think they are mainly cycle shoe makers, seems like they'll make any type of shoe - even WW1 trench boots lol. But u are right the sole needs to be rigid but does seems to be curved from the poor pictures.