Shimano MT90L Boots

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
dr nosh

Shimano MT90L Boots

Post by dr nosh »

Does anybody have experience of Shimano MT90L SPD boots.

I suffer from insensitive and 'cold' feet, and just recently on my new regular commute 5 miles each way I have stopped wearing my Spesh 'trainer' type SPD's in favour of a cheap lace up leather boot. My feet are warmer - but because I am used to SPD's I'm now struggling in my pedalling efficiency.
Tried wearing the BBB overshoes that I wear over my road shoes on the other bike, but its becoming too much faff in the morning to get kitted up - make sandwiches, jacket, hi-viz vest, gloves, hat, etc etc - I cannot face putting on more in the way of overshoes.

The MT90L seems the way to go - upsides - SPD, Leather boot for warmth & comfort, walkable, waterproof as well.

Any downsides??

mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

i've just got a pair of altura night vision over boot and they're very easy and quick to put on, the underside is a velcro fastening so that you don't have to stretch it over the toe.......
Biscuit

Post by Biscuit »

I use nowt else other than the Shimano MT 90 boot. Good general foot protection, good sole, Good specific ankle protection, spd, waterproof (unless youre in knee deep water), breathable, warm................................ erh.. and they dont dont look like cyclist s footwear :) Now if they only made Doctor Martens with an SPD sole!
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

I've used these for about 3 years (winters). Main use is to ride the bike to go and watch rugby games (i.e. stand around in a cold muddy field). They work - waterproof, warm and robust. Downside is that they're a bit 'clumpy' to pedal in. Not a bad problem they just are more clumsy and heavier than shoes. Only this morning I was checking out prices for the MT60 shoe version - might treat myself for Christmas as I feel I've had my money's worth out of the MT90's.
Phatman

MT90s

Post by Phatman »

Seeing the reviews of these, I decided to get a pair. I already have a pair of SH-W 101s for offroad but wanted something different for the daily commute. For me the trouble with all Shimano shoes is that they are on the narrow side. I have wide feet and bought one size up which fits a treat.

I wore the MT90s for the first time tonight and the weather was obliging enough to rain so I could test them properly! I stayed warm and dry and was pleased with them.