My Completed Lighting System

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
EdinburghFixed

My Completed Lighting System

Post by EdinburghFixed »

Sometimes I feel like I mainly post quite negative things here (close shaves with motorists!) so I wanted to make a more constructive topic.

I have had my finished high-power headlight/taillight system wired up for a few weeks now and it is working like a dream - highly recommended!

First I must thank InsanityIdeas for considerable help on the rear light, and system wiring! I'd never used a soldering iron before this, so I couldn't have done it on my own :)

First up, the front lights are stock Ay-Ups, sufficient to ride at my top speed on unlit roads (bear in mind I have a fixed wheel, so no 40mph descents!):

Although very functional, I also like the fact that the cockpit is extremely clean and uncluttered. (You can also see my recently re-wired 'European style' front brake):

In my spare bar-end, I have mounted a rocker switch which controls *front and back lights* simultaneously. Fingertip brake light is a reality! :)

If you take a look at the *first* picture again, you'll see that I hand-made a custom cable which brings power, and the switching wires, forward from the pannier rack in one neat line. Although I was afraid of making anything for road use myself, it does end up being exactly the right length and application! Another view:

At the rear, I have my 'homebrew' tail light (I've posted a long topic about this before). It's sealed with hot glue and has been working without complaint for several hundred miles, through some atrocious weather.

Not pretty, but *very* functional. The lenses are elliptical (wide but short) so the side visibility is great yet it doesn't point straight back into drivers' eyes.

Still, I have a backup blinkie Superflash 'just in case'. I haven't had to use it yet, except when it rains and short-circuits to flashing mode (ironic that of the two, the 'professional' light leaks!)

I put together a junction box to hold the very simple circuitry which places the batteries and lights in parallel, and introduces the switch. It's plastic and hollow, weighs about 30g:

Both the main lights are wired up in a common circuit and can be driven by just one Ay-Up battery. However I have built a 'spare' connector into the circuit allowing a second battery to share the strain:

Notice how the sides of the rack remain clean for attaching panniers (which are needed for the commute). When it comes time to charge, I just swap the battery cables from junction box to charger and forget about it:

Sweet!

I'm very happy with it and hope this might prove useful to someone, somewhere who fancies scratch-building. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Now, about that dangerous overtaking this morning... :evil: :roll:
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

I'm sure that Mr Heath and Mr Robinson would be very proud.. :wink:
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
BrianInnes

Post by BrianInnes »

Looks a nice setup! :D The gold Ayups certainly look nice and bling! :lol: What is the run time with both front and rear lights on?
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

It draws about 1A in total, maybe a touch more. So from two batteries you can get just over 5 hours continuous burn. They weigh around 150g each.

@Alan - I'm far too cack-handed to make anything that complex... the junction box and wires are just high-school level stuff! :)

The back light is a bit more funky but I basically had a shopping list from another forum anyway!