Which mag?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Si

Which mag?

Post by Si »

If you'd a choice between Velovision and AtoB magazines which one would you subscribe to and why?
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

Cycling Plus! :lol:
May the wind always be at your rear!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Also cycleplus :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
fossil

Post by fossil »

just got my second copy of cycle plus

verry good :D
leftpoole

Re: Which mag?

Post by leftpoole »

Si wrote:If you'd a choice between Velovision and AtoB magazines which one would you subscribe to and why?

I take both. I will only be taking one when this Years subscription to the Henshaw adulation Society ends (A to B).as its only electric bikes and pompous attitude from the Editor these days. I take C plus too but probably not much longer as this is now just a glorified advertising magazine with very little solid content.
John.
Last edited by leftpoole on 16 Sep 2008, 8:55am, edited 1 time in total.
2Tubs

Re: Which mag?

Post by 2Tubs »

Si wrote:If you'd a choice between Velovision and AtoB magazines which one would you subscribe to and why?

Not that familier with either of those.

From looking breifly in the past one seems to mainly feature alternative bikes (recumbants etc) and the other is a commuter based periodical.

Why do you have to make a choice?

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

On the occasions that I've read Velovision(usually get a pile of back issues when at York rally)I've liked it,it tends to be more about the "dark" side not read AtoB so can't help really.

PS Cycle plus is OK for a few issues then its all the same thing,but then I suppose most mags are after a while.
Alport

Post by Alport »

FWIW

I have only seen Velovision occasionally - and I've never seen AtoB.

I buy CPlus regularly, but find many of the articles are aimed too much at the wealthy poseur brigade. :wink:

The strange thing is that as I've steadily become a grumpy old whatever I've found the CTC magazine to be the one I read more and more - couldn't be anything to do with my age could it? :?
mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

neve rheard of either of these megs Si; CW is my mag of choice
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Well, Im getting a years subscription to Cycle Plus for Crimbo this year. (can I mention that time of year yet??)

Ive bought horsie mags in the past, and I usually find its the same or similar stuff each year in a cycle (no pun intended), so I reckon a years worth of bikie info will be a good prezzie.

Mary
glueman

Post by glueman »

Bike mags are worth getting for about two years then they go on a loop. Unless you're obsessed with how many grams has gone missing from the latest Ultegra brake handle it's just more anonymous blokes in shades on Taiwanese tour clones, training by leaving pepper out of your diet, swimming to build upper body strength, the merits of sultanas and singlespeed changed my life. Grim stuff.
Si

Post by Si »

Cycling Plus

I had it from issue 2 until a couple of years ago...got fed up of the same articles appearing each year and its move to the high end and race oriented stuff.

Why do you have to make a choice?

Trying to think of things to tell people to buy me for a buffday present.

-

Can't really find a cycling mag that suits anymore, the early days of C+ were great but either it ot I have changed over the years. Cycling Today/ New cyclist I thought was great but is no longer with us. CYCLE and Arrivee I already get. MTB Pro is long gone, STW is good but I don't MTB as much these days and CityCycling is good but free!

Sounds like Velovision is the way to go.

Ideally I'd like a roadie/touring/commuting version of STW but such a beast is dificult to find.

Thanks for the opinions.
glueman

Post by glueman »

Singletrack looks okay but can't say I've bought one. There's room for an inspirational cycling glossy with well written articles and lush photographs. £5+ on subscription bi-monthly and international in outlook. Bet it would sell.
Alport

Post by Alport »

Si

It seems to me you've spotted a gap there...wasn't there a magazine about a year ago which tried to attract that audience? What happened to it?
I really liked Cycling Today - but I would have to agree with others, after a couple of years the magazines start retreading old features - I still buy them though!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

"Cycling Weekly" (traditionally referred to as The Comic) and Cycle are enough for me - but I buy Cycling World when I see it.