Cheap Tents

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
vernon

Cheap Tents

Post by vernon »

Those of us who bought the Pro Action Tiger Paws one man tent from Argos four or so years ago for £30 or, if you waited, half price at £15 might like to contemplate upgrading with the later model that Argos re-introduced this season - it's currently being sold at £24.99 - half price. The original got rave reviews in the usenet walkers forum. Mine's served me well, most recently on my Lon Las Cymru ride.

Heres a picture of the latest offering:

I've seen the original Tiger Paws sell for more than this on Ebay.

Oh I gorgot to add they make a great first purchase too!
cycle_tourer

Post by cycle_tourer »

Wow! I have been thinking about getting a one man tent, but don't really have the money to splash out, and mostly cycle with my partner so use our very good 3kilo tent. Tempted to get one of these on my lunchbreak though!
james01

Post by james01 »

I bought the original about 4 years ago. Very light & compact, totally waterproof with 3000mm head flysheet. Amazing quality aluminium poles & pegs.
Downsides: a bit cramped for a 6 footer. Storage area between inner & door a bit small for panniers etc.
For the price, who's complaining?
bailout

Post by bailout »

I have one of the original ones I got for £15. Used it for the first time on Lundy a couple of months ago and it stood up to 3 days of strong winds and rain without a problem. I am tempted to buy another just for spares but not sure about the colour :shock: Why did they change from the nice green to orange :roll: not exactly suitable for low impact camping where you shouldn't.
vernon

Post by vernon »

bailout wrote:I have one of the original ones I got for £15. Used it for the first time on Lundy a couple of months ago and it stood up to 3 days of strong winds and rain without a problem. I am tempted to buy another just for spares but not sure about the colour :shock: Why did they change from the nice green to orange :roll: not exactly suitable for low impact camping where you shouldn't.

I'm not sure if the bits are interchangeable. I have my suspicions that they are clones of a much more expensive tent. Mine too stood up to very strong winds and heavy rain on the North Wales coast.
cyclepete

Post by cyclepete »

i bought one of these tents 4 month ago for 50 pound am
bit gutted now
:oops:
i have not used it but set it up in my mams garden it seems a great bit of kit :wink: am looking for a vango venom 300 to go with it the best price i have found is 72 pounds :idea: that would be some set of kit for 100 quid
bailout

Post by bailout »

vernon wrote:I'm not sure if the bits are interchangeable.

AFAIK the current version is just the same but in different colour.

vernon wrote: I have my suspicions that they are clones of a much more expensive tent.

Does this look familiar ;)

http://sierradesigns.com/tents.display.php?id=45
peter236uk

re

Post by peter236uk »

Vernon
They are asking £49.99 you must of started a sale !!!!!!
cycle_tourer

Post by cycle_tourer »

Damn! I was too slow, back up in price.
vernon

Re: re

Post by vernon »

peter236uk wrote:Vernon
They are asking £49.99 you must of started a sale !!!!!!

They were £24.98 on Sunday - I wish I'd committed myself to a purchase......I wonder if there was a rush and a reversal of the price cut
peter236uk

re

Post by peter236uk »

I will pop in on way home just to double check
Pete
cyclepete

Post by cyclepete »

bugger have just checked argos and they are back up in price :cry:
peter236uk

re

Post by peter236uk »

Vernon see what you have done driven the prices back up !!!!!
haha
Ambermile

Post by Ambermile »

Seems they are past tents now...

Arthur :roll:
I make stuff, that's all.
cranky

Post by cranky »

Ambermile wrote:Seems they are past tents now...

Arthur :roll:

Boom Boom :)
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker