Best tyres for touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
robing

Best tyres for touring

Post by robing »

Need new tyres for my dawes sg .

Are marathon plus still the best choice?

Or any better options. Puncture proof more important than weight .
MrsHJ

Re: Best tyres for touring

Post by MrsHJ »

I have continental contact plus. No punctures so far over a few years and many miles of touring (all though most of my mileage is touring so it’s going to be a few thousand miles) on varied surfaces from the USA to Italy including a lot of unsealed surfaces. My longest time ever puncture free (only puncture was on my other bike which has different tyres!).
So they have been astonishingly good and confidence inspiring. Am going to replace like for like this year. Are you tempted to go tubeless? I’m not atm- I’m not looking for the speed gains and as my current tyres have all the no puncture characteristics I want I’m happy with my current approach.
Last edited by MrsHJ on 24 Mar 2024, 9:47am, edited 1 time in total.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Marathon Plus have never been the best choice.
Punctures are not really an issue touring, you're unlucky if you get one in 1000 miles
Marathon Supreme have been my touring tyres of choice over the past decade or so.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

MrsHJ wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 9:19am I have continental contact plus. No punctures so far over a few years and many miles of touring (all though most of my mileage is touring so it’s going to be a few thousand miles) on varied surfaces from the USA to Italy including a lot of unsealed surfaces. My longest time ever puncture free (only puncture was on my other bike which has different tyres!).
So they have been astonishingly good and confidence inspiring. Am going to replace like for like this year. Are you tempted to go tubeless? I’m not atm- I’m not looking for the speed gains and as my current tyres have all the no puncture characteristics I want I’m happy with my current approach.
I'm also reluctant to go tubeless, but looking for every advantage...
I've just ordered some TPU inner tubes, which in theory knock a chunk off both weight and rolling resistance. Also pack a lot smaller as a spare.
I'm running Pirelli Cinturato velo (sp), and these have been pleasingly puncture resistant. I'll report back on my findings!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

We use Marathon Plus on all of our tourers, most of which are used for multiple purposes. The advantages and disadvantages are well rehearsed in previous discussions.

But the range, or at least the naming, has changed:
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tires/bike- ... ity-tires/

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

What sort of touring and other use? Schwalbe's Marathon range are all touring tyres*, that there's a dozen variations from the toughest Plus to the fastest Efficiency is an indication of how varied touring cyclists needs are. I think you need to narrow your criteria, otherwise you may get loads of inappropriate recommendations. If avoiding punctures really is your number one priority, then the Plus (Or similar from other manufacturers) deserves to be top of the list, for any other criteria, there are better tyres.

*Though not all Schwalbe tyres that look suitable for touring carry the Marathon name.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Continental Contact Plus. To me, they seemed as puncture resistant as Marathon Plus, but less wooden, and quicker on the road.

Now gone tubeless, but only because most of my riding is now off-road, where the better comfort and grip are decisive; for paved surfaces and “NCN type off-road”, I’d go back to the above.
robing

Post by robing »

MrsHJ wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 9:19am I have continental contact plus. No punctures so far over a few years and many miles of touring (all though most of my mileage is touring so it’s going to be a few thousand miles) on varied surfaces from the USA to Italy including a lot of unsealed surfaces. My longest time ever puncture free (only puncture was on my other bike which has different tyres!).
Thanks, I'll check them out. I had the plain marathons on it before but used to get quite a lot of punctures. I've got one marathon plus on my hybrid bike and no punctures so far .

I like continental gator skins on my road bikes . No plans for tubeless .
Last edited by robing on 24 Mar 2024, 12:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
robing

Post by robing »

rualexander wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 9:27am Marathon Plus have never been the best choice.
Punctures are not really an issue touring, you're unlucky if you get one in 1000 miles
Marathon Supreme have been my touring tyres of choice over the past decade or so.
They seem to be quite a popular choice. I got a lot of punctures with plain marathons so would be keen to try something better.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I presume you are using 700s. What width do you fancy. What type of touring, any other help for us.

I used Marathon Supremes (26x1.6) for a number of years. I was very happy with them apart from the thin sidewall (folding). I wrote off a couple of good tyres with sidewall damage - something as simple as sliding down a pothole and 40 quid down the drain.

Anyway, they stopped making Supremes a few years ago. If you can get them now they are about 60 quid for a few years on the shelf tyre.

I decided to go Marathon Greenguard. Their basic Marathon with a puncture proof belt. Only aout £20 each. Very mixed reactions from users from love to hate. I think correct pressure is a big part of it.

Before I got the chance, I ended up with a reasonable quality Chinese alike. Currently running these and happy with them ( Chaoyang Kestrel). Will see if I can buy another pair before I come home tomorrow.

Personally I do value puncture resistance.
robing

Post by robing »

700c prev 32mm but tempted to go 35. Fully loaded touring 4 panniers and tent. But travel fairly light usually carry less than 20kg altogether . Road and good cycle tracks so not off road.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

robing wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 8:24am Need new tyres for my dawes sg .

No such thing as "best" without a heavy dose of context...

I use "normal" Marathons and punctures are sufficiently rare that I've never felt the need to go to the plus, which are not only heavier but have higher rolling resistance.

For, say, winter commuting on wet, glass strewn streets I can see a niche for the Plus but the standard model remains a popular touring workhorse that doesn't need fixed as it ain't broke.

Pete
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
robing

Post by robing »

pjclinch wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 2:16pm

I use "normal" Marathons and punctures are sufficiently rare that I've never felt the need to go to the plus, which are not only heavier but have higher rolling resistance.

For, say, winter commuting on wet, glass strewn streets I can see a niche for the Plus but the standard model remains a popular touring workhorse that doesn't need fixed as it ain't broke.

Pete
Well I used to get a lot of punctures on the standard marathons.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

robing wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 2:17pm

When? They have changed a few times over the 20+ years I've been using them.

My experience with the older ones was once you got to a certain level of wear they'd puncture relatively easily, so that's time to change the tyre. But current ones ("Greenguard" IIRC) either don't do that or Mine aren't worn enough yet.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
robing

Post by robing »

pjclinch wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 2:21pm
robing wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 2:17pm

When? They have changed a few times over the 20+ years I've been using them.

My experience with the older ones was once you got to a certain level of wear they'd puncture relatively easily, so that's time to change the tyre. But current ones ("Greenguard" IIRC) either don't do that or Mine aren't worn enough yet.

Pete.
I toured extensively from 2012-19 in the UK, Ireland and Europe. I used both the Kevlar guard Marathons and the Greenguard that superceded them, and changed them regularly.