Avenue Verte (French section)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Dupont

Avenue Verte (French section)

Post by Dupont »

The Avenue Verte looks decent enough. Has anyone done this from Dieppe to Paris?

Is so, how did you find it?
Jdsk

Re: Avenue Verte (French section)

Post by Jdsk »

Previous discussions of Avenue Verte:
search.php?keywords=avenue+verte

Jonathan
Dupont

Post by Dupont »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 11:26am Previous discussions of Avenue Verte:
search.php?keywords=avenue+verte

Jonathan
I did that, but a lot of the info was about doing it on a Brompton and the UK section.

I will ask Google. 😁
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I’ve ridden it a few times. Dieppe to Forge-les-Eaux is a very pleasant converted railway line; after that, as I recall, it’s quiet French back roads and then suburban Paris.

“a lot of the info was about doing it on a Brompton and the UK section.” – that’s true at the start of those search results, but have a look at e.g. page 15.
Dupont

Post by Dupont »

nirakaro wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 1:34pm I’ve ridden it a few times. Dieppe to Forge-les-Eaux is a very pleasant converted railway line; after that, as I recall, it’s quiet French back roads and then suburban Paris.

“a lot of the info was about doing it on a Brompton and the UK section.” – that’s true at the start of those search results, but have a look at e.g. page 15.
Thanks. Very helpful, but some of the info is 15 years old. I imagine things have changed a bit re signage, accommodation etc.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I did it in August 2022. Short ride the first day to a nice campsite next to the route at Neufchatel-en-Bray, Then a long day to the outskirts of Paris where I stayed in a cheap hotel.
I used a Rohloff touring bike with added e-motor.
Very easy ride, good surfaces, reasonable scenery.
Chris F, Cornwall
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

You could join it to the Velo scenic and head to Saint malo to make it a longer ride. The Saint malo ferry goes to Portsmouth.

Or avoid Paris (which isn’t cheap accommodation wise) and join the veloscenic to the Velo Francette at domfront and use the Caen Portsmouth ferry one way and the Saint malo Portsmouth ferry the other. https://cycle.travel/map/journey/544813
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I have cycled bits from Dieppe when riding the Dieppe Raid which is a great weekend.
Cycled down to Swiss Normandie on the Francette in a heatwave using Caen and spent a few days cycling the area.
The surface was really good but stock up on water and bites as you will need to turn off into villages.
I like the idea of the above route then swinging across to St Malo.
Roll on summer.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I did there and back in 2019, so the whole French route except the bit right into central Paris. Routefinding was mostly fine, though there was a bit of off-road which I would have been happy to miss out another time. Campsites near Paris were a bit tricky, and one ex-municipal had been taken over by a membership group and cost an arm & a leg. Was a bit hillier than I expected.
Really enjoyed it! Would do the area again for sure.
I'd be happy to share more details if needed.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Dupont

Post by Dupont »

ChrisF wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 9:06pm I did it in August 2022. Short ride the first day to a nice campsite next to the route at Neufchatel-en-Bray, Then a long day to the outskirts of Paris where I stayed in a cheap hotel.
Very easy ride, good surfaces, reasonable scenery.
How did you charge the engine on the continent?
Dupont

Post by Dupont »

Slowroad wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 8:15pm I did there and back in 2019, so the whole French route except the bit right into central Paris. Routefinding was mostly fine, though there was a bit of off-road which I would have been happy to miss out another time. Campsites near Paris were a bit tricky, and one ex-municipal had been taken over by a membership group and cost an arm & a leg. Was a bit hillier than I expected.
Really enjoyed it! Would do the area again for sure.
I'd be happy to share more details if needed.
How far outside Paris did you stop? Which parts were hilly and how long did it take you? Thanks.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Dupont wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 9:03pm
ChrisF wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 9:06pm ....
How did you charge the engine on the continent?
I just took the charger with an adaptor for the campsite power points (ones used by caravans etc). I don't think any sites charged me to use the power points if I told them it was just for the bike charging. Sometiimes though I didn't ask :shock: . Sometimes I used a normal powerpoint in a washroom etc.
Chris F, Cornwall