Aventura gps devices

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ludo

Aventura gps devices

Post by ludo »

Does anyone have informed knowledge of Aventura gps devices? They are advertised on the Ordnance Survey website. I am looking for a gps device for use with OS mapping. I have used garmin devices for some years but had not come across Aventura devices. If anyone can tell me about them I would be grateful. There are favourable reviews on the OS website but I tend not to trust such reviews.
Psamathe

Re: Aventura gps devices

Post by Psamathe »

I suspect a lot would depend on exactly what you are looking to do with the device.

eg. Turn by turn directions for cycling?
Use for other activities eg hiking?
Navigate by following line on a map?
Where getting routes from (if being used to follow a route)?
Want to use to record where you've been (your track)?
If you record your track what to do with the track?
Use also as a cycle computer (eg show speed, distance, ascent or whatever).
etc.
etc.

Ian
ludo

Post by ludo »

I am going to do an off-road route to Cape Wrath from Fort Augustus. That is why I want an OS map on the device. The device will keep track of my movements. I will be using paper maps mainly, and the gps will be used for confirmation of my position only.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ludo wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 1:02pm I am going to do an off-road route to Cape Wrath from Fort Augustus. That is why I want an OS map on the device. The device will keep track of my movements. I will be using paper maps mainly, and the gps will be used for confirmation of my position only.
For confirmation of position how about a smart 'phone?

In the UK for that I use Grid Ref and GPS OS on an iPhone.

Jonathan
ludo

Post by ludo »

Good suggestion. I have the OS map app on my phone but when using the app it gobbles up power. The thing is, there will be few places where I can re-charge devices during the 5 days I will be cycling. I will be away from civilisation much of the trip. I have decided I’m going to get another Garmin - possibly a Montana. I can use AA batteries. Thank you for all your contributions. Much appreciated.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Have you got all of the tricks for saving battery life on the 'phone? Those minimal GPS apps don't need any network access.

There's a lot of recent discussion of power management when touring. Unfortunately it's spread across multiple threads.

One consistent theme is the rôle of USB battery packs. Would one help in your approach?

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ludo wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 9:36am Good suggestion. I have the OS map app on my phone but when using the app it gobbles up power. The thing is, there will be few places where I can re-charge devices during the 5 days I will be cycling. I will be away from civilisation much of the trip. I have decided I’m going to get another Garmin - possibly a Montana. I can use AA batteries. Thank you for all your contributions. Much appreciated.
Double check it is the app using all the power as there is no reason for mapping apps/GPS use to eat power these days. On my well used 4 year old iPhone will use mapping, recording a track (GPS on) for 2h30 and use little over 10% of battery.

Of course baddly written apps will eat battery but also often people tend to use activity mapping apps in rural areas where GSM/4G/5G signal coverage is low to none and poor signal will eat battery life. If it's mobile coverage eating your battery then switch to airplane mode will extend battery life a lot.

Or, if it really is the app, find an app that is properly written as no reason for it to eat batteries.

Ian
Mtb tourer

Post by Mtb tourer »

Have you looked at the Garmin handheld units , topomaps of Europe. Have a GPSMAP 66 with built in battery, if that's an issue carry a power bank . Lighter than carrying a pile of AA batteries If the built-in mapping is no good you could load OS mapping.
Robust units and long battery life.
North West Scotland is pretty dire for some mobile signals, a phone is a no no for navigation.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mtb tourer wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 10:31pm ...
North West Scotland is pretty dire for some mobile signals, a phone is a no no for navigation.
Please could you expand on that.

A modern smart 'phone will give you location by GPS without any need for a data network.

Jonathan
Mtb tourer

Post by Mtb tourer »

That's just my opinion, are smartphones as accurate as a dedicated GPS unit .
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 10:39pm
Mtb tourer wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 10:31pm ...
Please could you expand on that.

A modern smart 'phone will give you location by GPS without any need for a data network.
Mtb tourer wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 6:58pm That's just my opinion, are smartphones as accurate as a dedicated GPS unit .
I typically get an accuracy of better than 5 m on a 3 year old iPhone.

Jonathan
Mtb tourer

Post by Mtb tourer »

I get 200 hours on stamina mode , useful if stuck in a bothy .
The phone can be a reserve if the GPS takes a fit or if I loose it. How good is the phone in the forests?
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Are you by any chance trying to use the OS maps “live”? That needs data download (although it seems very economical), so network access.

If you download the map areas you want first, at home, you further economise on battery life.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mtb tourer wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 6:58pm That's just my opinion, are smartphones as accurate as a dedicated GPS unit .
This confirms what @ jdsk says
iPhone 11pro
IMG_2322.png
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mtb tourer

Post by Mtb tourer »

I see that the speed is zero, has the phone been sitting for a while and obtained an accurate position . Phone looses out when its asked to route find all day long. Phone is ok if it's only for 1/2 a day , more than that you will need a power pack.