Knee protection please

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
plancashire

Re: Knee protection please

Post by plancashire »

Psamathe wrote: 9 Mar 2024, 7:40pm Or maybe try and solve the underlying problem?

eg if somebody asked me about better seat belts for their car because they kept hitting things then I'd respond that better seat belts won't solve the problem and easier and cheaper to sort out why they keep hitting things.

If you are falling off so often it wont be just your knees that will suffer but other body parts as well as bike damage. In my personal opinion the paths shown are not so challenging as to cause so many falls. Getting distracted? Bike handling sub-optimal?, etc.

ie you can protect your knees for £0 by not falling off.

Ian
I agree. Have you fixed your "squirrelly" bike yet? See: viewtopic.php?t=159118
EDIT: Ah, I posted before I saw the contribution above. The memorable description of your bike handling lodged in both our brains.
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

In defence of the original poster - I don't believe it's the bike. Those who have been diagnosed or self identity with the neuro-diverse condition of autism are generally noted to be more clumsy, with reduced co-ordination.
(This reduced co-ordination, is due to the way information is handled by the brain and as such many who are autistic have a delay in their reactions)

Without asking the original poster themselves, I also suspect the majority of the time that they fall, is during low speed manoeuvres. If I am right then, it's not the issue of bike geometry or handling, but possibly an insufficient lack of momentum - in which case the solution is to develop the confidence to carry out these manoeuvres at a speed where balance is maintained.

.in which case, the horse motto applies 'keep climbing back on until you learn not to fall off'
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Jdsk wrote: 10 Mar 2024, 9:17am
Pinhead wrote: 9 Mar 2024, 2:42pm ...
Knee protection, I see many professionals use knee protection, I also ride on places such as the video, any advice please on reasonable knee protection, eg what about these, (or similar) can I have advice from "users" please.
Efficient pedalling requires flexion at the knee.

Are there protectors that have multiple separate horizontal bars which allow easy flexion while still providing protection from external impact?

Jonathan
There are knee protectors for BMX. They are either built into trousers, or they tend to be sheath type, lycra tubes with knee pads built in. They work best in conjunction with other BMX clothes. They are also dear, and require a good fit to be comfortable, and not bunch up.

here is an example; I am not familiar with the shop

https://www.skatepro.uk/498-40446.htm

and a slightly cheaper example; again, I am not familiar with the shop

https://crucialbmxshop.com/g-form-pro-x-knee-pads
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Maybe if pads aren't comfortable to wear on long rides, get whatever pads will offer most protection against the falls that are occurring, then wear the pads and intensively practice whatever it is causing the falls, then hopefully the pads can be removed or comfier pads that offer less protection can be worn on long rides but hopefully the number of falls has been reduced.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

This guy has it cracked - nice low CofG and fully protected.
IMG_1456.jpeg
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

cycle tramp wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 7:53am
Without asking the original poster themselves, I also suspect the majority of the time that they fall, is during low speed manoeuvres. If I am right then, it's not the issue of bike geometry or handling, but possibly an insufficient lack of momentum - in which case the solution is to develop the confidence to carry out these manoeuvres at a speed where balance is maintained.
This certainly fits in with my observations of the falls I see with my beginner mountain bikers. The most frequent offs are from lack of speed caused by lack of confidence resulting in a premature stop (whether from the terrain or the brakes doing the actual stopping) and that's when feet come off the pedals to stop a fall, but the rider tends to stay in the seat so the ground's a bit too far away resulting in sideways staggers and sometimes falls. We had a lad stop on a fairly benign path a couple of weeks ago and he staggered off the bike and fell in a ditch. As it was we could all laugh about it, but what if something like that happened before a right turn in traffic with cars passing either side?

I also see that confidence develops rather quicker where starting and stopping aren't a frequent embarrassing and potentially injurious fiasco, so ability to stop solid and stable at any time is a really good foundation.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Airsporter1st wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 11:04am This guy has it cracked - nice low CofG and fully protected.IMG_1456.jpeg
:lol:
I am here. Where are you?
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Airsporter1st wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 11:04am This guy has it cracked - nice low CofG and fully protected.IMG_1456.jpeg
With the weather recently- he'd be rusted solid in a week. :lol:
re_cycler

Post by re_cycler »

CliveyT wrote: 11 Mar 2024, 1:50pm
With the weather recently- he'd be rusted solid in a week. :lol:
Maybe they bought the more expensive titanium option.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have fallen a few times, but never injured my knees. I've had badly bruised hips, banged elbows, and superficial scraping of hands, but never knee damage.