Train Glasgow to Pitlochry Return

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
island girl

Train Glasgow to Pitlochry Return

Post by island girl »

Six of us with bikes are hoping to travel to Pitlochry from Glasgow by train in June 2024, also return by train. Whenever I check train times it states no spaces left on train, it states this for all trains. Frankly I don't believe this. I have contacted Scotrail and am awaiting a reply. I wondered if anyone else had encountered this and could advise ? Or do you know of any other means of getting to Pitlochry ?
Paulatic

Re: Train Glasgow to Pitlochry Return

Post by Paulatic »

Your date in June won’t be up yet.
I’ve just tried an April date £10.40 and two bike spaces available.

There’s also Citylink coach but they only take one bike in one of their socks.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
island girl

Post by island girl »

I can book for the dates I mentioned but it is an advance ticket with no bike places. I'll take your advice and wait another month and hopefully get bikes on although it probably will be over 3 trains to accommodate all 6 bikes !
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

ScotRail say
Buying through the ScotRail website
Search on a Thursday - Advance fares are released every Thursday. The current booking window is open for bookings 8 weeks in advance.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I wouldn't worry, scotsrail seem to be quite relaxed about bikes, I often travel with bike and never book. I was on a train last week (not as a cyclist) from Livingston back to Edinburgh. There was loads of bikes on the train, I doubt any were booked. Seriously its not like it was 20 years ago when they could get all arsie like they do down in Engerland. The scot rail staff just seem to go on like normal human beings and the trains are pretty reliable.

Of course I do not know what type of train you're on, they have some 'inter-city' ones and they could well be a bit precious about those - but the standard Scotrail DMU (which seems to be 95%+) I'm sure you would be fine. Take some noise blocking headphones to combat the rattlieness of the carriages.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Pebble wrote: 8 Mar 2024, 11:32pm I wouldn't worry, scotsrail seem to be quite relaxed about bikes, I often travel with bike and never book. I
Yes, but...
Particularly at weekends that line tends to be very crowded (I had 2 Saturday morning trips from Perth to Blair Atholl last summer for walking trips and both were completely rammed), and if it's a case of no room and no booking something may break, though having said that IME most Scotrail staff have a can-do attitude to getting bikes on.

If it's early to mid June chances are better as the schools will still be on, though note they break up a month earlier than down south so at the end of the month the trains tend to get more crowded.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
ludo

Post by ludo »

I have not travelled Glasgow to Pitlochry by train but my experience of Scotrail generally has been mixed. If you wish to go by train book a free ticket for your bike in advance but don’t rely on a place actually being reserved. I booked a ticket for myself and a ticket for my bike to travel Edinburgh to Inverness last year. When I came to get on the train, I was told I could get on but not my bike. Both cycle spaces were taken. That I had booked my bike on in advance counted for nothing! My experience may only apply on that particular service.
My experience of bikes on Scotrail services elsewhere has been good.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'd want them all booked on, and a fallback position.

island girl wrote: 8 Mar 2024, 9:45pm Or do you know of any other means of getting to Pitlochry ?
Hire a van? About £40 a day for one that will take the bikes and three people.

Jonathan
irc

Post by irc »

Pebble wrote: 8 Mar 2024, 11:32pm I wouldn't worry, scotsrail seem to be quite relaxed about bikes, I often travel with bike and never book. I was on a train last week (not as a cyclist) from Livingston back to Edinburgh. There was loads of bikes on the train, I doubt any were booked. Seriously its not like it was 20 years ago when they could get all arsie like they do down in Engerland. The scot rail staff just seem to go on like normal human beings and the trains are pretty reliable.
Scotrail do get arsey about bikes. I saw a local in Oban turfed off even though he was only going one stop.

The Glasgow - Livingston - Edinburgh line though does not require reservations. I guess the trains are big enough and frequent enough it is not an issue.

So I would not turn up to a Glasgow Pitlochry train without a booking and expect to get on. Last time I was trying to book a bike for Glasgow - Inverness the only way was by going via Aberdeen. So as stated above - book -, and book early.
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

How are you contacting ScotRail?

I have found they respond better on FB MESSENGER.

Note, better goes not mean well.
djb

Post by djb »

I'm a Canadian and last summer took trains with my touring bicycle a number of times, from Glasgow up north and a few times in north west.
My take on things pretty much is in line with the views here, that while there can be a more relaxed attitude from some ScotRail employees on the trains, I also saw them being fairly strict about it as well.
So to avoid the hit and miss, and hassle, book them early and make sure the bike spaces are available.
Heck, when I was on my first train going north from Glasgow, it was just before the world's and there were cyclists competitors on board going to Perth or something to register, and one was asked to leave because he didn't have his bike booked.
Staff were friendly, but he still had to get off.
raymondchristopher

Post by raymondchristopher »

When I was travelling from Inverness to Glasgow a couple of years ago you could only book a maximum of two bikes regardless of how many were travelling. I had to book a separate ticket for the third member of our party to get around it. It may be a software quirk and so you could try ordering separate tickets? It may be helpful to ask for advice from staff at the train station in Glasgow.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Cutting a tour short I hopped on at Lairg through to Inverness and then another train same day to Aberdeen.
No booking and no-one came around to collect my fare.
Jackpot.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
L+1

Post by L+1 »

matt2matt2002 wrote: 15 Apr 2024, 9:26pm Cutting a tour short I hopped on at Lairg through to Inverness and then another train same day to Aberdeen.
No booking and no-one came around to collect my fare.
Jackpot.
That’s slightly amazing, from my experience. Did you not have to go through any barriers at Inverness or Aberdeen ( I’m happy to agree none at Lairg!).
I don’t think I’ve been on a long distance Scotrail train without at least one ticket check.
Do you think it’s a trick you could pull off again?
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Yes indeed there are barriers at Inverness. It was a tight connection so the staff waved me through the barrier as I ran for my train and said pay on the train.

I fully intended to pay and had my wallet out in my paw waiting for the guard to come along. But no-one showed up. In fact I got off just before Aberdeen, at Inverurie. No barrier there either.

As for pulling off a trick - well, I must admit I felt chuffed getting away with it - but I wouldn't endorse intending to con the rail company, despite me doing it! Other times I've used Scotrail, staff are walking up and down.

Come to think of it, it happened a few years before that incident.
I had flown back from Ethiopia with my bike into Edinburgh and the same thing happened; a freebie.

Maybe I'm lucky?

Maybe my tales confirm other folks comments about not having to book; if you want to chance your luck. I usually have Plan B to take account of uneventualities ! Each ti there own.

Cheers

Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.