Campag freehub failure

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: Campag freehub failure

Post by Brucey »

foxyrider wrote: 14 Mar 2024, 8:09pm.......Maybe with the mileage i do i should up the maintenance schedule a bit?
it isn't a bad idea, really you should service you bike at intervals determined by the 'weakest link'. As I mentioned previously, this is pretty much the only cup and cone bearing on a bike where the bearing demands some preload; all the others are happy enough without it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pneumant

Post by Pneumant »

Recently a bike with Campag 8-speed found its way into my ownership and I have slowly been servicing it. I used to run Campag 8-speed back in the 90's and I had forgotten just how weird the rear hub is! I can't think of any other hubs where you have to dismantle pawls and tiny springs just to get at the bearings. The nearside bearings are in the right place but the smaller middle ones are inboard with the drive side axle being supported by the freewheel bearing. The pre-load is applied by screwing on the 17mm hex nut secured by a 2mm grub screw. More weirdness! Shimano hubs are simples in comparison.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Pneumant wrote:...... Shimano hubs are simples in comparison.
well the hub bearings are; the inner workings of the freehub body, rather less so.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~