Crossing the River Trent near Bingham

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
wightmagic

Crossing the River Trent near Bingham

Post by wightmagic »

I am planning a cycle tour in Nottinghamshire, and hope to stay overnight in Bingham. It looks like heading north I may have to spend some time on the A6097 in order to cross the Trent. Is that a reasonable route for cycling, or is there an alternative cycle crossing of the river, not shown on roadmaps, anywhere between Nottingham and Newark?
TrevA

Re: Crossing the River Trent near Bingham

Post by TrevA »

I live in Bingham and regularly ride this route. There’s a cycle path alongside part of the A6097 from Gunthorpe to Lowdham. There are a couple of ways to get to Gunthorpe Bridge (over the Rivet Trent) without having to ride on the main A6097 road, which does get very busy, as it’s the only Trent crossing for 10 miles each way.

1) Either leave Bingham via Chapel Lane, then turn right at Margidunum Island. Go past the Garden Centre, then take the next left, over the bridge over the A46 and into East Bridgford. At the crossroads by the Church, go straight on down Trent Lane, this will bring you to Gunthorpe Bridge.
2) Leave Bingham on Nottingham Road, cross over the Old Fosse Road and follow the cyclepath over the bridge over the A46. After the bridge, turn right and follow the bridle path to Newton. On the Newton Road continue NE, then turn left into Newton village. Continue on, then take the right turn to East Bridgford. Cross over the A6097 at the traffic lights and continue into East Bridgford. At the crossroads by the church, turn left down Trent Lane which will take you to Gunthorpe bridge.

You can ride on the footpath over the bridge to avoid having ride on the road. Not strictly legal, but everyone does it. Or you could walk over as it’s only about 50 yards.

Once you are over Gunthorpe bridge, turn immediately right into Gunthorpe village, then left and carry on through the village. As you come back to the main road, you’ll see the cycle path (converted and shared pavement) on your right. Join the cyclepath and follow it to Lowdham, where you can then access minor roads on your onward journey.

If you need any further route advice, let me know, as I’m local to the area and know the roads well.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com