R & M Birdy wheels question

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PT1029

Re: R & M Birdy wheels question

Post by PT1029 »

Yes, that is the bike, thanks.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

My IT skills have not helped commnication here but I hope that the image clearly shows the importance of the seatpost. It's fundamental to the bike. I think the Birdy Red had a single 56T chainwheel and a seven speed cassette. I also think it was one step down in level of equipment from the Elox like mine.

I only remember seeing one in use once, when I overtook a rider on one fully loaded with luggage.
harrowagenda21

Post by harrowagenda21 »

cycle tramp wrote: 3 Mar 2024, 1:48pm
PT1029 wrote: 2 Mar 2024, 12:33pm Way back when the mk1 birdys came out 'The folder' magazine, which went on to become a to b, ran an article in which a birdy had its 18 inch wheel rims swapped for brompton 26 inch wheel rims - the writer of the article advised that the ride quality had not been affected and that they now had more tyre choices.
That person was me. I am still rising that 1996 bike [today, in Lancaster in fact]. so the 349 Brompton rims are OK and generally will work with the standard v brakes [just]. Your gearing goes a little lower and you a tiny bit lower to the ground. 349s are easy to find on Aliexpress at affordable prices, with sealed bearings.
harrowagenda21

Post by harrowagenda21 »

PT1029 wrote: 2 Mar 2024, 12:33pm I have been asked to move on/dispose of some bike parts....
The biggest problem as of April 2024 is that Litepro have stopped doing affordable 355 18 inch built replacement/upgrade wheels. I have bought several in the past, all by mail order. They are of decent quality and run true. I am lacking a front wheel [current worn 355 one has 24 spokes] and contacted the company, and a couple of others, and they said they no longer support Birdy wheelsets. No reason given. You can however buy 24 hole or any whole 355 RIMS on their own, but then the problem is estimating and sourcing the right spokes because all the aftermarkets are more dished than stock ones in my experience.. This is expensive I think and freaks me out. The only semi-affordable wheelset I can find as of today is this one, made by Silverock, but about as expensive as a decrepit Birdy. Only other options are 349 Brompton rims, which do fit [see my other reply] or 20" with low profile tyres. [url]https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10 ... Redirect=y[/url]
harrowagenda21

Post by harrowagenda21 »

Seatposts are easy and cheap. I use the Chinese aluminium ones. About 20 quid. Never broken one. The clamp is good, too. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001336 ... y_from%3A
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if main thing stopping you from re-rimming wheels is a concern over spoke length then I have two comments;

1) only the first new rim of a given type is a complete mystery. Thereafter, you should know what the ERD is likely to be.

2) If you have a spoke thread roller, you can make PG spokes any (shorter) length you like, which greatly eases any concerns you might have over getting the right spoke length. The scope for shortening DB spokes is much less and varies with brand of spoke.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~