Sleeping bags ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Pinhead

Sleeping bags ?

Post by Pinhead »

You never appear to hear advice on sleeping bags, everything but

My son (Lagre) wants to go basic camping, backpack, small tent but what bag to get to carry, many thanks. NO winter sleeping
AUTISTIC and proud
Jdsk

Re: Sleeping bags ?

Post by Jdsk »

Pinhead wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 11:12am You never appear to hear advice on sleeping bags, everything but

My son (Lagre) wants to go basic camping, backpack, small tent but what bag to get to carry, many thanks. NO winter sleeping
There's vast amounts of advice and experiences in the forum archives:
search.php?keywords=sleeping+bag&terms= ... mit=Search

How about this from Aldi?
viewtopic.php?p=1503523&hilit=sleeping+bag#p1503523

Jonathan
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

Thanks

I will read but are there any people he with USE and first hand experience of ones suitable for cycling
AUTISTIC and proud
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

TOO big, standard shop size
Attachments
zzz.jpg
AUTISTIC and proud
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Pinhead wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 11:12am You never appear to hear advice on sleeping bags, everything but
While camping from a bike certainly is a Thing, it's a much bigger Thing in backpacking/hillwalking circles and the same general principles apply, so that's a good place to look. For example, https://www.thegreatoutdoorsmag.com/gea ... eping-bag/.
Pinhead wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 11:12am My son (Lagre) wants to go basic camping, backpack, small tent but what bag to get to carry, many thanks. NO winter sleeping
Usual answer of... it depends, particularly on budget, whether he's allergic to down and/or a vegan, how long term a purchase it is.

Down bags are lighter and pack down smaller for the same warmth, but cost substantially more than synthetics. Well looked after down bags tend to last a lot longer at something like original spec which tends to even out the price, but only if you keep using it. There's loads more, but that's a Starter For 10.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
gom

Post by gom »

I had long discussions with some experienced (cycle) campers early last year, and several recommended Alpkit, as good quality and not too expensive. As a result I bought a Pipedream 400 which served me well last year (late spring, summer, autumn). Not warm enough last December really, but with several layers I was OK.
I note that they are currently on offer for what seems to me a good price.

For "research" I find ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk a good source of information - weight, pack size, etc.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 11:19am

There's vast amounts of advice and experiences in the forum archives:
search.php?keywords=sleeping+bag&terms= ... mit=Search
Only 76 matches :(
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

gom wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 12:19pm I had long discussions with some experienced (cycle) campers early last year, and several recommended Alpkit, as good quality and not too expensive. As a result I bought a Pipedream 400 which served me well last year (late spring, summer, autumn). Not warm enough last December really, but with several layers I was OK.
I note that they are currently on offer for what seems to me a good price.

For "research" I find ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk a good source of information - weight, pack size, etc.
Seconded, the Pipedream 400 is a very good three-season bag at a good price, particularly if you can get it in a sale. The OP says "no winter sleeping" so it should be warm enough.

Ultralightoutdoorgear is a good site for seeing what's available and well rated but can be a bit pricey; though occasionally it is cheaper than elsewhere. Worth checking prices against various other sites, for sure.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

A couple of things about this, although some has been discussed on the forum before...

What sleeping bag also depends on what mat, and some personal things, like preference for sleeping with warmer clothes or just a base layer, etc.

I tend to 'run warm' so pretty much any halfway decent insulating mat + 3 season bag is ok for me down to freezing, or even a bit colder.

Mini V & my other half, however get cold at night and need a bit more than me. Their solution has generally been an extra foam pad, but we have hauled a trailer, cycle camping as a family, so taking up extra space with something like that wasn't a big deal.

Anyway, if you spend a bit more on a mat, you might be able to buy a cheaper bag & vice versa, but it somewhat depends on personal tolerance for temperatures and what you/he prefer to wear at night.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Is there some reason this forum doesn't like to mention money.

The OP has given no idea of budget. A few people recommend the Pipedream 400, even that there is a good price, but don't mention what it is.

Alpkit have the Pipedream 400 for £189. Is that within your budget?

https://alpkit.com/products/pipedream-400
Pinhead

Post by Pinhead »

simonhill wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 2:14pm Is there some reason this forum doesn't like to mention money.

The OP has given no idea of budget. A few people recommend the Pipedream 400, even that there is a good price, but don't mention what it is.

Alpkit have the Pipedream 400 for £189. Is that within your budget?

https://alpkit.com/products/pipedream-400
You are right my fault

Under £50 please
AUTISTIC and proud
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Pinhead wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 3:47pm Under £50 please
At that sort of price you're honestly just best off going into a high street "outdoors" store like Millets, Blacks etc and selecting one you like the look of. It won't pack down small but it'll be warm enough. You can extend the warmth rating by getting a silk liner for it as well, that's well worth the extra.

Millets have a sale on at the moment.

https://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/sle ... ping-bags/

I've got a similar sort of bag, it's not for bikepacking or hiking because it just doesn't pack small enough but it was cheap and it's warm and it's been excellent.
To get something properly bikepacking / hiking at smaller size you need to be spending considerably more.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Or look on for sale boards of hiking and camping forums.

A silk sleeping bag liner is going to cost at least £25, could easily be double that, and while it's a good thing to have in terms of keeping the bag clean and extending its life, for warmth you're probably better off putting that money towards a better sleeping bag.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

[/quote]

You are right my fault

Under £50 please
[/quote]

try GoArmy, eg

https://goarmy.co.uk/collections/sleepi ... eeping-bag

https://goarmy.co.uk/collections/sleepi ... eeping-bag

cheers,

Keith
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

rareposter wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 4:47pm
You can extend the warmth rating by getting a silk liner for it as well, that's well worth the extra.
I have, use and like silk liners, but they won't add any much more warmth than pyjamas of the same overall thickness. The main point is keeping a bag clean, because a down bag performs less well when dirty, is a major pain to clean and a total pain to dry. PJs keep a bag clean too, but you need socks, gloves and a hat too for the same effect and just the socks alone will probably weigh and bulk more.

With a synthetic bag under £50 I absolutely wouldn't bother with a silk liner. For a more useful warmth (and comfort) upgrade for your money spend more on a better mat IMHO.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...