Tram at Hook of Holland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Thehairs1970

Tram at Hook of Holland

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Anyone know if the tram at the Hook of Holland port takes bikes? And does it go to Rotterdam?
millimole

Re: Tram at Hook of Holland

Post by millimole »

Thehairs1970 wrote:Anyone know if the tram at the Hook of Holland port takes bikes? And does it go to Rotterdam?
I've regularly seen bikes on the trams at Hoek. They are unstaffed (apart from the driver) and no one will care.
The tram goes to Scheidam Centraal which I think is the last above ground stop before going into the tunnel. There is a stop at Rotterdam Boers (? Spelling) which is the closest stop in the direct line to Rotterdam Centraal station.
If you are looking online - it's Rotterdam metro line B. Contactless card payment - no need to buy tickets.
Last edited by millimole on 13 Feb 2024, 6:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
scragend

Post by scragend »

It's the metro, not the tram.

Yes it does take bikes, but only after 9 am (and not between 4 and 6.30 pm).

It does go to Rotterdam, but depending on where you want to go in Rotterdam you might need to change. The line from Hoek doesn't go to Centraal station, you have to change at Beurs for that - although it's only just over a kilometre away so if you have a bike you might as well ride rather than wait for a second metro!
Will

Post by Will »

Every other tram starts at Steendijkpolder (the next stop after Hoek van Holland Haven), so if you have to wait until 9am, then you can cycle down to Steendijkpolder and get a more frequent tram from there.

I have travelled on the tram with my bike from Hoek van Holland Haven to Eendrachtsplein (the stop before Beurs) and cycled from there up to Rotterdam Centraal. There is an elevator up to street level at Eendrachtsplein, but it was quite small and I could barely get my bike inside. I certainly would not have been able to get it in with luggage attached (and my bike isn't that big).

The spaces for bikes on the trams are not very big, and you wouldn't be able to get many loaded bikes on at the same time.

Will
mjr

Post by mjr »

Will wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 7:12pm I have travelled on the tram with my bike from Hoek van Holland Haven to Eendrachtsplein (the stop before Beurs) and cycled from there up to Rotterdam Centraal. There is an elevator up to street level at Eendrachtsplein, but it was quite small and I could barely get my bike inside. I certainly would not have been able to get it in with luggage attached (and my bike isn't that big).
There is also an escalator, if you prefer.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'm as impressed as always by the knowledge and helpfulness.

The Rotterdam public transport planner:
https://www.ret.nl/en/

And the official statement of those restrictions on bikes:
https://www.ret.nl/en/vraag-antwoord/de ... ferry.html

Jonathan
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Will wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 7:12pm Every other tram starts at Steendijkpolder (the next stop after Hoek van Holland Haven), so if you have to wait until 9am, then you can cycle down to Steendijkpolder and get a more frequent tram from there.
Alternatively if time isn't an issue then go the other way to Hoek van Holland strand. The cafe's generally don't open until 10 so if you want breakfast you'll be a bit later, otherwise go for a stroll on the beach and get the first metro after 9. You might easily be the only person getting on which makes it easy to get the bike settled before it gets busy
Diatom

Post by Diatom »

Have you thought of cycling from the Hook of Holland to Rotterdam? There is a pleasant and well-surfaced cycleway which goes along the banks of one of the branches of the Rhine. Only 30 km to the centre of Rotterdam, flat and easy! Shouldn't take much longer than an hour and a half, you'd probably get to the city centre quicker that way.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Diatom wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 11:43am Have you thought of cycling from the Hook of Holland to Rotterdam? There is a pleasant and well-surfaced cycleway which goes along the banks of one of the branches of the Rhine. Only 30 km to the centre of Rotterdam, flat and easy!
Yes, we finished the trip down the Rhine with this.

Jonathan
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Diatom wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 11:43am Shouldn't take much longer than an hour and a half, you'd probably get to the city centre quicker that way.
And there's a good chance of having a tailwind if cycling away from the Hook. :)
Usually riding a Spa Cycles Aubisque or a Rohloff-equipped Spa Cycles Elan Ti
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Diatom wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 11:43am Have you thought of cycling from the Hook of Holland to Rotterdam? There is a pleasant and well-surfaced cycleway which goes along the banks of one of the branches of the Rhine. Only 30 km to the centre of Rotterdam, flat and easy! Shouldn't take much longer than an hour and a half, you'd probably get to the city centre quicker that way.
Yep. Done that before. We are heading to Groningen to tour up there so want to take a train. Therefore looking for quick ways to get to station.

Thanks