How do you carry big shopping?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
plancashire

How do you carry big shopping?

Post by plancashire »

This picture shows an empty crate of Uerige Altbier ready to go in my Burley Travoy trailer, which I towed to the shop where I was refunded my 11 Euros deposit. Standard full-size crates don't fit in this trailer. That's not a problem for me as one of my other favourite beers, Schumacher, also comes in smaller crates.

On my way back the trailer easily swallowed the shopping. Detached from the bike, it is a good shopping trolley.

How do you shift big shopping?
bike and trailer with Uerige beer crate - wide.jpeg
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
diapason

Re: How do you carry big shopping?

Post by diapason »

Carry Freedom large Y trailer behind either my ICE or F-frame Moulton. Black re-cycling box holds a week's shopping.
Advena ego sum in Terra
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

We cheat, by living about a mile from the shops, so barely ever fetch more than a panniers-worth at a time - I pop in during the day as part of “exercise and fresh air”, and/or OH pops in when passing on the way home from work, and if we run out of anything and need it urgently, son runs there and back. You can understand why I favour 15-minuteness!
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Take the Land Rover :D
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

At 60 lb (circa 25kg!) the Burley is no lightweight and I wouldn’t want to use it anywhere hilly.

For multiple uses I have a large - and light - plastic box on my rear rack and it takes two decent sized carrier bags. We - well mostly Mrs Green - use the car for most of our shopping and we get the bulk of our goods from a large store around ten miles away. If the need arose then I’d be open to other transport options - like my light trailer and I hanker after a cargo bike. Our local supermarket is both relatively small and expensive but we used it during Covid and I do buy some food from them during the week.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
PH

Post by PH »

Carlton green wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 12:32pm At 60 lb (circa 25kg!) the Burley is no lightweight and I wouldn’t want to use it anywhere hilly.
Are you mixing up the weight and capacity? The Burley Travoy is about 6kg.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It goes in the panniers first, with voluminous but light objects on the rear rack. Or it all goes in a backpack if I'm on foot.

Single items which are too large for that (eg washing machine, furniture) are bought too infrequently to justify, for me, a trailer or cargo bike, and have always been delivered by the shop or, on two occasions, I've got a friend with a car to help.
PH

Post by PH »

I have a trailer but hardly ever use it. I live in a first floor flat and getting the trailer out is a bit of a faff, I might use it more if it was a simpler hitch and go scenario. It might make some stuff simpler, though it isn't complicated anyway. I don't often do huge shops and I can get nearly all my shopping in a 10 mile radius, and the bulk of that in half the distance. I have a bike with rack sturdy enough to take the load and some big panniers. I'd be happy strapping a crate like the one in the OP onto my rear rack. When I first went car less, 23 years ago, I thought I'd need to use buses and taxis for big shopping. That's what I did for about the first three month, then it evolved to a point where most shopping became integrated into what Ii was doing anyway rather than a stand alone activity.
I live alone, when I lived in a household of four it wouldn't have been as easy, though we never looked into alternatives to the car.
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

PH wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 1:17pm I have a trailer but hardly ever use it. I live in a first floor flat and getting the trailer out is a bit of a faff, I might use it more if it was a simpler hitch and go scenario. ...
The Burley Travoy is ideal for this as it is light, folds up very small and is quick to attach to the bike. If you take the wheels off it will stow away in the carrying bag that it comes with. I just fold it up and leave the wheels on as our bike shed is big enough. You could use it just as a shopping trolley without the bike.
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
PH

Post by PH »

plancashire wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 1:33pm
PH wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 1:17pm I have a trailer but hardly ever use it. I live in a first floor flat and getting the trailer out is a bit of a faff, I might use it more if it was a simpler hitch and go scenario. ...
The Burley Travoy is ideal for this as it is light, folds up very small and is quick to attach to the bike.
Yes, had one a few years ago. Probably the best for this kind of use, I sort of regret selling it, though TBH I haven't really missed it. The sort of capacity it carries I can do on the bike and on the occasions I need double that it's usually too bulky for the Travoy.
I'd still have the issue of getting them downstairs: Bike and trailer, I'd have to take one down, leave it unsecured outside while I fetched the other, repeat when I returned.
viewtopic.php?p=1659598&hilit=Burley+Travoy#p1659598
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

I don't do large objects on a bike, but I did have 22kg split over 2 panniers coming back up the hill from sainsburys last week. :(
Mostly various liquids and root vegetables.
Like the poster a couple up from this, I'm lucky enough to live within 15 minutes of town, so regular top ups are easy enough.
At the weekend in particular, I'm home before the SUVs have managed to queue their way out of the car park.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Moulton+Trailer.jpeg
Wooden Box.JPG
Two Blocks.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In the context of this thread, I would say that Mick F's illustration of the different configurations possible with his trailer omits arguably the most relevant: ie how small can it be packed when not in use as a (very versatile) trailer?

The answer is some version of "tiny." And in particular "flat."

(I speak with some experience having had it in the back of our car.)
rjb

Post by rjb »

Here's mine built from a child's pushchair retrieved from a skip. The wheels have a quick release so can be popped off allowing the flat base to be stored against a wall taking up minimal space. I've carried 25kg bags of spuds on it regularly.
Trailer 01.JPG
Nowadays I use the village bus and free OAP travel which takes me into town.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

What's that coiled up to the left of your rear wheel? Have you a sideline clearing drains etc?