How do you carry big shopping?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Carlton green

Re: How do you carry big shopping?

Post by Carlton green »

jrs665 wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 3:28pm
Carlton green wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 9:44pm
jrs665 wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 5:52pm

I don't find them an issue on the recumbent trike; the smaller 20" front wheels roll through them, the rear 26" wheel soaks them up with suspension.

Are pot holes an issue for trailers? If so, is it a problem for single or 2 wheel trailers?
In my limited experience of towing a two wheeled trailer they aren’t without issues but are a great way to shift stuff - you could move something like a washing machine on one. Hitting potholes and bumps with them isn’t a great idea though and particularly so at pace - yes, you can turn a two wheel trailer on its side. Single wheel trailers have their drawbacks, but how they just track behind the bike and are stable through pot holes and over bumps has value.
Watched a test ride of a burley nomad with varied terrain including ofroad trails with ditches etc. Seemed fine, more weight making it bounce less. On a bicyle though, more weight makes handling worse.
On a bike it depends what type of bike it is and how it’s loaded. So a two wheeled cargo bike can be darn near as good as it gets, but they can also be expensive too, hence the relatively great value in trailers provided you don’t ask too much of them. Of course a loaded trailer can push a bike about too, well that’s in my limited experience but YMMV, etc.

The Nomad has a wide wheel base and 16” wheels, its rated load is 100lb and it takes about 100 ltrs under its covers, there’s lots to like about it, if you want that type of trailer. Test videos? I’d say that there’s lots of direct and indirect marketing of products and that the Burley ain’t cheap, doubtless good for many things though but …

One thing that I particularly liked about the Danny Daycare video was that at the end it showed clips of what went wrong, that gave an insight into balanced presentation and the like …

Whatever, we or I divert the thread and it should return towards the original post - there are separate threads about trailers. I use a large box on my rear rack and occasionally a two wheel flat bed trailer onto which I can secure - amongst other things - a crate and a very large bag.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Carlton green wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 8:51am
On a bike it depends what type of bike it is and how it’s loaded. So a two wheeled cargo bike can be darn near as good as it gets, but they can also be expensive too, hence the relatively great value in trailers provided you don’t ask too much of them.
One of the very big caveats with a cargo bike for many is storage. While "n+1" is fine for those who can afford it and have space for several bikes, lots of people only have space and resources for one bike. A trailer is a cheap and space-efficient way to make just about any bike a cargo bike.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Deleted
Last edited by cycle tramp on 1 Mar 2024, 6:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

An inline trike. ^ Really cool idea!
drossall

Post by drossall »

I still have a Bikehod from forty years ago - not dissimilar in concept to the OP's Burley Travoy, but doesn't fold.

For carrying big shopping though, I've still not seen anything to beat what I posted in this thread a few years ago.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 2:06pm Delivery by cycle courier from Westgate Oxford:
https://westgateoxford.co.uk/dropit
"Oxford City Council and Velocity Cycle Couriers to trial electric cargo bike deliveries for businesses":
https://www.oxford.gov.uk/news/article/ ... businesses

Same day or next day, inside the ring road, 15 retailers.

Jonathan
ThickBloke

Post by ThickBloke »

I scrounged and renovated an old bike trailer which had been rotting in a friends garden for years. Around £25 on new tyres, tubes and a lick of paint has saved me several tanks of petrol so far. It's surprising how much more respect drivers give you when you are pulling something that could damage their car (ha ha). Used it a lot more than I thought I would. Well worth the investment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 4:12pm In the context of this thread, I would say that Mick F's illustration of the different configurations possible with his trailer omits arguably the most relevant: ie how small can it be packed when not in use as a (very versatile) trailer?

The answer is some version of "tiny." And in particular "flat."

(I speak with some experience having had it in the back of our car.)
Hi TC.
Sorry, but I've not been on the forum much over the last few months.
Yes, you gave me a lift up Rosedale Chimney Bank ........... or should I say you and your wife took my trailer and orange suitcase up to the top for me. :D

I was on my Grand Tour of Scotland, England and Wales in 2008.

ca Blacksmith's 2.jpg
PICT0053.JPG

P5300024.JPG
P5300028.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

My Tern HSD has two 37 litre panniers which are more than enough to swallow a big shop, and I attach bulkier stuff to the rack with a couple of ROK straps.

For really large loads I have a Burley Flatbed trailer, and it's great. I've used it to carry all manner of stuff, such as this coffee table:

The wheels are easily removed for storage so it doesn't take up much space in the shed