How do you carry big shopping?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
rjb

Re: How do you carry big shopping?

Post by rjb »

thirdcrank wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 4:44pm What's that coiled up to the left of your rear wheel? Have you a sideline clearing drains etc?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The flexible drain coil was the ideal job for a hitch connection. A short length attached to the boom and the chainstay. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

PH wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 12:58pm
Carlton green wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 12:32pm At 60 lb (circa 25kg!) the Burley is no lightweight and I wouldn’t want to use it anywhere hilly.
Are you mixing up the weight and capacity? The Burley Travoy is about 6kg.
Possibly, thank you. I read the Burley site and that figure is what registered with me.

In general trailers and cargo bikes seem to add a lot of weight - over just a rear rack and bag on a normal bike - before you can carry any load.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
gaz

Post by gaz »

For many years, a pre-loved Raleigh Mule and a pair of ancient Carradice panniers.
Mule.png
Last year I treated myself to a Black Friday deal on a Burley Nomad.
Nomad.png
I still have the Mule, using it for dirty jobs (and occasions when it will be locked up unattended for hours rather than minutes) but the wheel bearings are shot and I doubt that they are serviceable. Keeping an eye out for a suitable pre-loved replacement.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
willp01908

Post by willp01908 »

I use a Topeak Journey trailer - I think one is much more likely to use a convenient option and this ticks all the boxes for me. It hangs up on it`s wheel from the roof of my bike shed and I can lift it off it`s hook with one hand due to it`s light weight. Very easy to fit to the bike too. I put a plastic box in it for supermarket shopping which I load at the till, slot into the trailer and lift out into the house. A lot less hassle than packing panniers IMHO
I like the single wheel format - on the cycle tracks in MK, there are bollards all over the place and I have had issues with hitting them if misjudging the gap slightly while using a wider, two wheel trailer.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

A lot less hassle than packing panniers IMHO
I take the panniers into the shop, hang them on the sides of a trolley, pack from trolley to panniers at the self-service checkout, then lift them straight from trolley to bike, then take them off the bike into the kitchen. Quite a streamlined operation.

PS: you’re in MK too? How about that!
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

How big is big? Perhaps mine doesn't qualify.
I've since attached a small rack to the top of the box.

Despite being a recumbent, it's more of a utility trike than a speedster, though it has its moments.
Attachments
P1020475.JPG
P1020478.JPG
P1020477.JPG
P1020476.JPG
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

plancashire wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 11:14am
How do you shift big shopping?
8-Freight cargo bike takes a crate comfortably in the load area. I tend to "do little and often" with just panniers on a more conventionally sized bike, but when it's something big or quite a lot it's the 8.
Burrows 8-Freight cargo bike
Burrows 8-Freight cargo bike
Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
james01

Post by james01 »

Pendodave wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 2:10pm
Like the poster a couple up from this, I'm lucky enough to live within 15 minutes of town, so regular top ups are easy enough.
At the weekend in particular, I'm home before the SUVs have managed to queue their way out of the car park.
Agree about the SUVs. It's very satisfying to cycle through the gridlock right up to the supermarket door!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

pjclinch wrote: 11 Feb 2024, 8:08am
8-Freight cargo bike takes a crate comfortably in the load area. I tend to "do little and often" with just panniers on a more conventionally sized bike, but when it's something big or quite a lot it's the 8.

IMG_20210424_090149825.jpg

Pete.
Have you a fleet of machines to suit every occasion and somewhere to store them?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

thirdcrank wrote: 11 Feb 2024, 4:10pm
pjclinch wrote: 11 Feb 2024, 8:08am
Have you a fleet of machines to suit every occasion and somewhere to store them?
We have a garage and we don't have a car.
But n+1 leaves potential occasions we both dream up for extras. The Shand Tam Rohloff for my off-road touring plans awaits the winning lottery ticket, for example, so for now I just use the old MTB. And neither funds nor space leave room for a Pedersen on the basis of just really liking the look of them. And so on.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Deleted
Last edited by cycle tramp on 2 Mar 2024, 10:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

When I was a lad I carried a lot of big shopping all over the place using one of these, fortunately without the advert hoarding stuck between the frame tubes. The International Stores in our town still had bikes of similar vintage in the late sixties. If I needed to carry a lot of shopping now, I think I'd get one like it.

When I started time trialling, I was turning in remarkably quick times for boy, thanks to pedalling that thing all day Saturday and 3 hours on 2 week nights.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
SwiftyDoesIt

Post by SwiftyDoesIt »

Don't need to do massive shops but if I had to then it'd be 2 large Bike Hut panniers (44Litres) and a 65L rucksack. I could also fit front panniers if I had to and strap a bulk item on the rack.

The only reason I could think to use a trailer of any sort would be if I wanted to carry some of the tree wood I cut down, but tbh that's just not worth the hassle for me given the distances I'd need to take it, a friend uses her large car and we take 400-500lb loads at a time and I often shoulder carry the wood to the nearest road or carry between us.
I did once made a makeshift skid plate and rope system to drag a big chunk of tree across the rec some 300 yds, it was about 10ft x 15", that wasn't going on any bike trailer :lol:
rjb

Post by rjb »

This chap will deliver your chilled items if you live near Stevenage.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy7wq4y9w5jo
Last edited by rjb on 12 Feb 2024, 4:03pm, edited 2 times in total.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Delivery by cycle courier from Westgate Oxford:
https://westgateoxford.co.uk/dropit

Jonathan