Brittany May 2024

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Lazybird

Re: Brittany May 2024

Post by Lazybird »

I know Benodet. Stayed there for a week in a hired bungalow. On the first night it rained and the drain backed up and filled the kitchen with water! That is a an alternative plan I've considered - to go west towards Vannes etc
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

I’ve emailed several campsites but had no reply,
I'm doing a short trip from Ouistreham to Cherbourg but not until July. (Not Brittany I know but camping in Northern France)

I would look at the website for the sites you are considering as most of them give their opening times. Whether they reply is a different matter although I tend to use Google translate to enquire. I have earmarked Arromanche and St Mere Eglise as possibles and they both open in April I think. As I recall they were/are municipal sites.
Lazybird

Post by Lazybird »

Have changed my plan for this trip. I’ve decided to go more lightweight and book accommodation rather than camp. The cycle.travel app has been good for working out route alternatives and for suggesting accommodation options. I can follow the cycle routes East of Roscoff on the coast or if too hilly, can cut inland to take more direct routes to my next overnight. Longest leg is about 65k but can shorten that to 50k so plenty of time for looking around, croissant stops etc.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Lazybird wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 7:09am ...
Longest leg is about 65k but can shorten that to 50k so plenty of time for looking around, croissant stops etc.
Crêpes are also available!
https://www.france.fr/en/brittany/list/ ... -5-minutes

But for me it's mostly the seafood.

Have fun.

Jonathan
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

But for me it's mostly the seafood.
Me too Jonathan!!
Lazybird

Post by Lazybird »

Just over a week until I set off on this trip. I’ve been going out regularly seeking hills to climb and have definitely got fitter. I keep editing the kit list in the light of quite likely cold & wet weather. I’ve also done a few trips by train with the bike so feeling more positive about the journey down to Plymouth to catch the ferry. Glad I took the decision to ditch the idea of camping and book rooms instead. The whole trip is pretty much planned out and I’m looking forward to it.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Lazybird wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 7:25am I keep editing the kit list in the light of quite likely cold & wet weather... The whole trip is pretty much planned out and I’m looking forward to it.
I'm so excited for you - hope you have a Great Time! I was chatting to a chum y'day who's off to the Pyrenees in a couple of months - she says they're anticipating temps that need a 4 season sleeping bag at night & shorts / T shirt midday - imagine!
I'm always amused by the cycle tourists's motto: before you leave, spread all the kit out and first, remove half the items and then, double the money! :lol:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Lazybird wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 7:25am Just over a week until I set off on this trip. I’ve been going out regularly seeking hills to climb and have definitely got fitter. I keep editing the kit list in the light of quite likely cold & wet weather. I’ve also done a few trips by train with the bike so feeling more positive about the journey down to Plymouth to catch the ferry. Glad I took the decision to ditch the idea of camping and book rooms instead. The whole trip is pretty much planned out and I’m looking forward to it.
Sounds good. Have fun.

Any experiences to share about the bikes on the trains?
viewtopic.php?p=1840963#p1840963

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 7:43am ...
I'm always amused by the cycle tourists's motto: before you leave, spread all the kit out and first, remove half the items and then, double the money!
And on return spread out all of the kit and see what you didn't use!

: - )

Jonathan