Power meters

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jon in Sweden

Re: Power meters

Post by Jon in Sweden »

It was a good ride, and not so much difference between normalised and actual power (for a change). Must have been fairly consistent on power delivery.

124.5km
33.0kph average
290w and 304w normalised
145bpm
Kinda grotty weather at the start, soaking my right foot with 95km to go. Not ideal

Pretty tired now! :lol:

Has anyone found a LH crank arm power meter for FSA cranks?
toontra

Post by toontra »

Those are pretty impressive stats (as are your others previously posted). It probably puts you in the top 5% of amateur cyclists and a cat 3 racer. Endurance not bad either!
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

toontra wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 4:46pm Those are pretty impressive stats (as are your others previously posted). It probably puts you in the top 5% of amateur cyclists and a cat 3 racer. Endurance not bad either!
Haha! You're kind.

I'm only 22 months back in the saddle after 17 years off, so I'm just trying to reach a decent peak before the decline really sets in (I'm 40 this year).

The main issue is being so tall, I have the aerodynamic properties of a portaloo.

Either way, it's a lot of fun to analyse the numbers and see them on the way around too. One of the biggest eye openers for me was the disparity between my uphill and downhill power numbers. I'll routinely do 400w on fairly lengthy inclines, and then 100w on the way back down. Not ideal for training and not ideal for group riding (which I don't often do).
toontra

Post by toontra »

Jon in Sweden wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 7:50pmOne of the biggest eye openers for me was the disparity between my uphill and downhill power numbers. I'll routinely do 400w on fairly lengthy inclines, and then 100w on the way back down. Not ideal for training and not ideal for group riding (which I don't often do).
I think that's just the nature of variable terrain. I spin out at anything downhill over about 10%, so I can have put in decent power for a 2-hour HC climb (as I did this afternoon) only to see the average power figure for the ride trashed by a steep downhill section at the end :roll: :D
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

toontra wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 8:59pm
I think that's just the nature of variable terrain. I spin out at anything downhill over about 10%, so I can have put in decent power for a 2-hour HC climb (as I did this afternoon) only to see the average power figure for the ride trashed by a steep downhill section at the end :roll: :D
Sounds like a cracking climb.

Our terrain is very undulating, but 170m is about the largest climb we have in our immediate area. On asphalt, it's rare to find steeper than 8% for anything more than a very short distance (they build the roads to be driven in winter conditions, so 10% plus is rare) so you can at least pedal them.

It'll be interesting to get the power meter out on the gravel when I start to do more of that next month. It's incredibly undulating in places - like a rollercoaster.
toontra

Post by toontra »

DC Rainmaker has reviewed the new Assioma MTB power meter pedals. He's very impressed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KkG-02UlIQ&t=395s
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

toontra wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 5:44pm DC Rainmaker has reviewed the new Assioma MTB power meter pedals. He's very impressed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KkG-02UlIQ&t=395s
The pedals just seem a bit pricey to me. They've been doing 105 power meter cranks on occasional flash sales at Bikester.se, and you can get them for as little as £125 if you're lucky.

Couple of training rides today. Well commutes really, but structured them as training.

This morning was threshold, steady (ish) power. 294w actual, 323w. I'm never that powerful first thing in the morning.

This afternoon was generally zone 2, but with 10x10 second sprints rolled in. Twenty minutes warmup, then a 10 second spring on every third minute. Average sprint power was about 1100w (needs work) and up to 1248w. Actual power 251w, normalised 305w.

So inconsistent power results a fair chunk more normalised power. I find it all very interesting, in a nerdy sort of way.
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

A few months into power meter usage and it's largely transformed my riding.

I now generally ride more slowly, more frequently and instead focus on specific training sessions with zone 2 infill inbetween.

The upshot is that I seem to be getting quite a bit stronger, and faster too. I did an impromptu and unplanned FTP test yesterday and did 351w for the hour. But there was quite a bit more in there and the last two 8km laps were over 370w.

But the old adage of riding slow to ride fast holds true. I just needed a power meter to tell me that! :lol: