Searching for hotels with cycle parking?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mtb tourer

Re: Searching for hotels with cycle parking?

Post by Mtb tourer »

Forgot to say, Spain and Portugal have Hotels with bike stations in the garage. Bike rack and tools on long chains, think they might have an eco tourism program as each year we are see more places with them.
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

bohrsatom wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 10:05pm ...
In NL I've found secure bike parking at hotels to be less common than other countries. I figure it must have something to do with there being so many cyclists but I'm not totally sure why. Many towns/cities have free guarded bike storage provided by the municipality, where a key fob and barcode stuck to the bike prove ownership and you can't leave without getting both scanned by the guard.
You need security in the Netherlands. Bike theft is common. My wife and I lost our bikes near Roermond when the hotel owner forgot to lock the door and we stupidly had not locked our bikes tightly together. The hotel owner was quite embarrassed and helped us by driving us to the police station, assisting with the report and then dropping us at the railway station. The insurance paid up and we added lots more money to buy nice bikes and very hefty locks.
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
Mtb tourer

Post by Mtb tourer »

Another reason for touring in southern Europe , hotel has no cycle parking. Guess where bikes are tonight, in a hotel room that's vacant. Big outside carpark and a restaurant under the hotel.
RoMoNZ

Post by RoMoNZ »

In an effort to create better availability of this information, I'm currently drafting a message to send to the corporations that own the accommodation websites, (eg Booking.com or AirBNB etc), to ask them if they will include an option for property owners to indicate on their property listings whether there is safe space for parking bicycles overnight (with some detail options), eg secure, indoor, outdoor etc.

It would be great if other cyclists also approached these types of website owners to ask for this change, so they realise it's an issue that they can easily help out with; the wins for them are reaching more cyclists as potential guests, and for some I imagine it could help them reach their sustainability goals.

I always comment about bike space availability in my reviews as a hint for other cyclists, but on the flip-side it can be very time-consuming searching reviews/photos of smaller places in order to try to figure out whether bike parking is a possibility.
It can also be a bit stressful if you need to book the same day and don't have time to wait for a response, so I'm hoping a direct approach will create a needed change in the availability of this information.
Andrew-l

Post by Andrew-l »

RoMoNZ wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 7:12am In an effort to create better availability of this information, I'm currently drafting a message to send to the corporations that own the accommodation websites, (eg Booking.com or AirBNB etc), to ask them if they will include an option for property owners to indicate on their property listings whether there is safe space for parking bicycles overnight (with some detail options), eg secure, indoor, outdoor etc.

It would be great if other cyclists also approached these types of website owners to ask for this change, so they realise it's an issue that they can easily help out with; the wins for them are reaching more cyclists as potential guests, and for some I imagine it could help them reach their sustainability goals.

I always comment about bike space availability in my reviews as a hint for other cyclists, but on the flip-side it can be very time-consuming searching reviews/photos of smaller places in order to try to figure out whether bike parking is a possibility.
It can also be a bit stressful if you need to book the same day and don't have time to wait for a response, so I'm hoping a direct approach will create a needed change in the availability of this information.
Great idea!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Great idea, good luck, but......

The facilities that a hotel shows it offers are self selecting. The worst I've ever seen was when a small guest house selected them all. Everything from beach side facilities to an ATM. I tried to flag this up but there is no facility to do it. All you can do is put it in your review comments.

How a hotel, etc sees 'secure bike storage ' will vary considerably.

It would certainly help to whittle down searches a bit, but I'd still want to follow up with review and photo check. Also it would exclude places that don't specify storage, but do actually have something that is adequate.

Sorry.