In ride entertainment

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: In ride entertainment

Post by mjr »

I sometimes put a music-playing speaker in the basket, but cycling snobs seem hate people listening to music while riding.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Dunno if I sing because I ride solo or ride solo because I sing. I usually sing solo too, although on one hell-for-leather group ride years ago I got the whole peloton bellowing À Poil, Tout le Monde à Poil as we belted at 36 kph (IKYN) down a cycle path (official limit 20). Didn't last long, we were puffed in a klick and some prig observed "you know, we shouldn't really ride so fast here", for which he was roundly hooted at.

I find, too, that I usually associate particular bits of road with particular tunes: the climb up the western side of La-Petite-Pierre always brings forth Queen's Year of '39 while climbing to the Champs-du-Feu via the Struthof invokes the La Chanson de Craonne* and one lovely long descent from the Col d'Urbeis calls up Pancho and Lefty, which is actually the only one of the three to which I know all the words.

Needless to say, unless I'm alone or with like-minded folk I keep silent. There's nothing so ungracious as inflicting your own taste in music on others.

* the intro to which figures in Oh, What a Lovely War.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

mjr wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 6:40pm I sometimes put a music-playing speaker in the basket, but cycling snobs seem hate people listening to music while riding.
Yes, temptation there so next is to list your play list. Spotify is a boon!
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Although I listen to music or the radio at home or in the car I never feel the need to listen when out walking or cycling.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

mjr wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 6:40pm I sometimes put a music-playing speaker in the basket, but cycling snobs seem hate people listening to music while riding.
Other peoples music is always unwanted, on a train, on a bus, out in the countryside - stick some ear phones in and keep it to yourself.
VinceLedge wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 9:43am Although I listen to music or the radio at home or in the car I never feel the need to listen when out walking or cycling.
Same here, in the van or down at the workshop I love my music and like it loud. But on the bike or walking or just out in the countryside (and I have tried this) it is so unwanted
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pebble wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 9:52am ...
Other peoples music is always unwanted, on a train, on a bus, out in the countryside - stick some ear phones in and keep it to yourself.
Sounds right to me.

Jonathan
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Yep!
Tim Holman

Post by Tim Holman »

Hello, All, My entertainment, in no particular order:
1: Making up interesting and original posts for The Forum... that I never submit
2: Making up witty responses to existing posts on The Forum...that I rarely submit
3: Scenes from The Skull Cinema (ref: John Hillaby)
4: Musical earworms from any era, any genre, anyone from Average White Band (Cut the Cake), through Pink Floyd (Breathe), including The Corries or a better version by The Brothers Gillespie (Road to Dundee) etc. At the moment I have on replay: Rab Noakes: The Downtown Lights.
5: I used to listen to a wee FM radio through earbuds but FM got patchy and digital is a poor substitute round here. I can only get the big BBC DAB stations but although I live in Scotland I can't even get Radio Scotland on digital and I can't get any other commercial digital stations for some reason. I thought DAB was beamed down from satellites so how does that exclude me here from a full range of stations? It all beats me, this technology and I don't have a fancy phone, so I stick to the earworms and the inside of my head generally.

Thanks,

Tim
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tim Holman wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 5:10pm ...

5: I used to listen to a wee FM radio through earbuds but FM got patchy and digital is a poor substitute round here. I can only get the big BBC DAB stations but although I live in Scotland I can't even get Radio Scotland on digital and I can't get any other commercial digital stations for some reason. I thought DAB was beamed down from satellites so how does that exclude me here from a full range of stations? It all beats me, this technology and I don't have a fancy phone, so I stick to the earworms and the inside of my head generally.
BBC DAB is terrestrial radio, but digital rather than analogue. No satellites involved.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_A ... oadcasting

Jonathan
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Pebble wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 9:52am
Sometimes you do catch the right thing. I quite enjoyed meeting a chap at the top of the a mountain who'd taken to piping himself the last few meters to every Munro summit he visited, but I certainly wouldn't want everyone doing that!

Whatever you like yourself the only really safe broadcasting option for other people you might come across is Cage's 3'55" on repeat loop.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I've just started this blog about what I do to entertain myself whilst cycling... https://bicyclingbotanist.wordpress.com/
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
mjr

Post by mjr »

I mute it on residential streets, but on major roads everyone's windows are shut or walkers nearly all wear earplugs, and out in the fens, there's no one in sight.

I only wear earphones to hear the sat nav in a big city. Too much impairment to hearing otherwise.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

mjr wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 9:24pm
I mute it on residential streets, but on major roads everyone's windows are shut or walkers nearly all wear earplugs, and out in the fens, there's no one in sight.
I wouldn't have a problem with that, no differant to folk playing music in their cars (which i do)

pjclinch wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 7:35pm Sometimes you do catch the right thing. I quite enjoyed meeting a chap at the top of the a mountain who'd taken to piping himself the last few meters to every Munro summit he visited, but I certainly wouldn't want everyone doing that!
I think I would approve of that too, was he really carrying a set a pipes up each one - that in itself would be quite an achievement. I was pleased just to haul myself up to the top of each on.

I always liked the idea of being 'piped' of the last one, but that never happened, bivvied on the top. and never seen a single soul on the long walk off the following morning.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Pebble wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 9:52am Other peoples music is always unwanted, on a train, on a bus, out in the countryside - stick some ear phones in and keep it to yourself.
As has been said elsewhere, my neighbours listen to really excellent music, but they've threatened legal action unless I turn it down.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Audax67 wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 10:30am
Pebble wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 9:52am Other peoples music is always unwanted, on a train, on a bus, out in the countryside - stick some ear phones in and keep it to yourself.
As has been said elsewhere, my neighbours listen to really excellent music, but they've threatened legal action unless I turn it down.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......