In ride entertainment

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
AndyK

Re: In ride entertainment

Post by AndyK »

Audax67 wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 10:25am
plancashire wrote: 21 Jan 2024, 11:07pm I just remembered another entertainment: looking at the crops. It's a professional interest for me. Where I live on the edge of the city we have both arable and horticultural crops. Last year the nearest fields were planted with maize, rapeseed, potatoes, brassicas, salads and some flowers for PYO. A bit further away are wheat, barley, rye, sheep on the dykes and free-range chickens. On my way to work I see maize and sugarbeet on very light sandy soil so good indicators of drought.
Here's one you won't see too often:

(sorry of the blur, it was taken off to the side)

Opium poppies in the Loire area, grown for pharmaceuticals.
A fairly common sight around Hampshire and Dorset.
IMG_20210704_140633 (Small).jpg
(Sparsholt, 2021)
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

AndyK wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 11:50am

We have them in Oxfordshire too (although a limited number of sites, I think).

What we don't have is huge fields of the bright red ones, like what I (finally) saw SE of Dieppe recently. Gorgeous!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mattheus wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 8:51am
AndyK wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 11:50am Here's one you won't see too often:

What we don't have is huge fields of the bright red ones, like what I (finally) saw SE of Dieppe recently. Gorgeous!
I'm expecting a lot more. Demand is massive and supply has been dramatically reduced by the Taliban in Afghanistan, possibly by 95% in the last year.

Jonathan
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

mattheus wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 8:51am
AndyK wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 11:50am

Poppies are also grown for the seeds, which are used in baking - more commonly here in Germany than in Britain. I don't know if the poppies would be grown in NW Europe but I suspect not.

The bright red common poppy Papaver rhoeas is an agricultural weed with remarkably long-lived seeds, at least 40 years. If they are ploughed up to the surface and the conditions are right you can see these stunning red swathes. They are nice to look at but you'll harvest less of the crop we eat.
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
mjr

Post by mjr »

It's interesting that the people who grumbled about me listening to music on a speaker are silent about you lot using opium for ride entertainment!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

mjr wrote: 23 Jan 2024, 10:47pm It's interesting that the people who grumbled about me listening to music on a speaker are silent about you lot using opium for ride entertainment!
Fear and loathing in Loire?
'We had stuffed our panniers full of poppies..... perhaps for some it was too much.... and then we cycled the hell out of there... for suddenly the air was full of giant bats and manta rays, shrieking and swooping in the sun.... 'Holy Sh@% , what are these God damn creatures?' Someone shouted. And then I realised it was me... Then I cycled into a ditch, the world went black and when I woke up, it was next Tuesday, and I was naked in a police cell....
As Hunter S. Thompson never wrote