Two robberies a day in London as bike-jacking epidemic takes hold - telegraph

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pendodave

Two robberies a day in London as bike-jacking epidemic takes hold - telegraph

Post by Pendodave »

Link is here :
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/1 ... akes-hold/
Behind paywall, which can be circumvented by turning off javascript for the Telegraph site. I'll cut and paste in a separate post if that's ok.
slowster

Re: Two robberies a day in London as bike-jacking epidemic takes hold - telegraph

Post by slowster »

Pendodave wrote: 31 Dec 2023, 12:51pm I'll cut and paste in a separate post if that's ok.
It isn't for copyright reasons, and the post has been removed. If an article is paywalled, I think it is necessary either to provide a brief summary in your own words of the key points, or find another link which is not paywalled, e.g. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... O-day.html.
thirdcrank

Re: Two robberies a day in London as bike-jacking epidemic takes hold - telegraph

Post by thirdcrank »

Two robberies a day in London as bike-jacking epidemic takes hold

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/tw ... r-AA1mgnI9
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

The Met spokesperson quoted in both articles seems a bit confused about levels of cycling in London: “A spokesman for the Met said: “There are over 1.2 million bike journeys a year in London, the majority happen without incident.”.

I think that’s the daily journeys rather than an annual figure, according to TfL
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

backnotes wrote: 1 Jan 2024, 9:27am The Met spokesperson quoted in both articles seems a bit confused about levels of cycling in London: “A spokesman for the Met said: “There are over 1.2 million bike journeys a year in London, the majority happen without incident.”.

I think that’s the daily journeys rather than an annual figure, according to TfL
Well spotted.

Yes, 1M per day. 2023 figures:
https://content.tfl.gov.uk/travel-in-lo ... ew-acc.pdf

Happy New Year

Jonathan
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Pendodave wrote: 31 Dec 2023, 12:51pm Link is here :
Behind paywall, which can be circumvented by turning off javascript for the Telegraph site. I'll cut and paste in a separate post if that's ok.
To my mind if a comment is in the Daily Telegraph then it is now suspect, IMHO they’ve drifted to what one might expect of the Mail and the Express.

Is seizing some else’s bike a new thing? To my mind such things have been going on for decades - as has theft in general - and in a place so large as London I’d anticipate a lot of theft. My bigger concern for London is road safety, and in particular the safety of cyclists.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Carlton green wrote: 1 Jan 2024, 5:45pm
Is seizing some else’s bike a new thing? To my mind such things have been going on for decades - as has theft in general - and in a place so large as London I’d anticipate a lot of theft. My bigger concern for London is road safety, and in particular the safety of cyclists.
Stealing bikes by breaking locks or burgling sheds is not new. But robberies in which cyclists are knocked off their bikes by motorcyclists and threatened with knives while thier bikes are taken is a serious increase in violence.
SwiftyDoesIt

Post by SwiftyDoesIt »

An escalating problem in line with increases in fear, hopelessness and poverty, Created by the ruling classes to enable more resource grab and control of the slaves by squeezing them to attack themselves.
This is just one example that reflects that
Another is the anger (read fear and trauma) from motorists that translates into shocking driving standards which seems to be on the increase as does violent crime.

2022 saw a 29% increase in car related thefts, Eng & Wales there were 368k car related crime reports over the year (15% increase from 2021).
'The most dangerous cities for vehicle crime are Haringey, Enfield, and Westminster, with crime rates of 16, 16, and 16 per 1,000 residents respectively' W.Midlands the worst region with 13 motor vehicle crimes/1000.'
Safest for car crim is Plymouth, Norwich then belfast City.
[Source: Crimerate.co.uk]
Bike thefts/crimes are hugely under reported due to police not giving a stuff and lack of confidence in same to do something. For far too many it's just a waste of time.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Item on Radio 4 Womens Hour this morning.
Bice

Post by Bice »

I've written on 26 Nov 2023 about my friend losing her £3,500 e-bike in Balham to two thieves with an portable angle grinder while she was having her hair done here:

viewtopic.php?p=1811048#p1811048

They prey on the parking behind Sainsbury's. But has it spread to Waitrose, too?

Last week I was at Balham Waitrose and saw this neatly cut Albus lock. Quite a serious lock, so I assume a fancy bike. I doubt it was nicked when the shop was open as the parking is right in front of the tills, but who knows? Theft of all sorts is far more brazen than in the recent past in London, and I assume elsewhere.
Daily: Carlton Courette 1982 mixte 42, 32, 22 x7
Van Nicholas Yukon titanium 50/34 10sp
Lazzaretti steel 1996 10sp 48/34
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Marin Bolinas Ridge MTB c1995, 7x42, 34, 24
Scott Scale carbon MTB 27.5 inch
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I don't recall anyone worrying about bike theft in the 1950s and all (as far as I know) bikes were left at school unlocked. Nowadays it seems thieves will target bikes left at schools as well as many other places.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Pendodave wrote: 31 Dec 2023, 12:51pm Link is here :
To my mind if a comment is in the Daily Telegraph then it is now suspect, IMHO they’ve drifted to what one might expect of the Mail and the Express.
Funny enough, I think that about the Guardian. Probably not find a word of this story in the Guardian.
Carlton green wrote: 1 Jan 2024, 5:45pm Is seizing some else’s bike a new thing? To my mind such things have been going on for decades - as has theft in general - and in a place so large as London I’d anticipate a lot of theft. My bigger concern for London is road safety, and in particular the safety of cyclists.
Seizing someone's bike as they are riding along is, I reckon, a new thing in as much as previous cases of this type of crime have been few and far between, or you might say 'isolated'.

Won't be long before someone gets killed by bike-jackers, if it hasn't happened already. The mainstream media doesn't like reporting on street robberies for reasons only the most naive of people are not aware of.
I should coco.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

I can see yet another advantage to wearing a Hiplok-style chain around your waste when cycling!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Makes me glad that I live in a small French country village.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Audax67 wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 10:15am Makes me glad that I live in a small French country village.
Part of me is envious, very envious, but from chance conversations with expats I learn that the grass isn’t always greener elsewhere - loose one issue and others seem to replace it. I wouldn’t want to live in London but life in rural England has its issues too including homelessness, violence, domestic violence, theft, drunkenness and drug dependency …
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.