Price of anti angle grinder locks are really falling now there is competition

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Pinhead

Re: Price of anti angle grinder locks are really falling now there is competition

Post by Pinhead »

Psamathe wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 12:47pm
Pinhead wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 12:38pm
Psamathe wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 10:58am I'm no expert but I thought thieves against D-locks often don't use angle grinders but levers, car jacks, hydraulics, etc.

My personal summary from various internet and personal sources is that best to use two different forms of lock (eg D-lock and cable lock) as the tools needed to break are different and many thieves only carry one type e.g. they'll be carrying the tool(s) to break open a D-lock or they'll be carrying the tool(s) to cut a cable/chain.

Ian

100% that is why I use two different D locks on my bikes and an alarm

Many different views as to whether an alarm is any sort of deterrent. Personally I use an alarm more to notify my somebody is messing with my cycle (e.g. when asleep in a tent). I would not be regarding an alarm as an anti-theft measure along the lines of locks.

Ian
Did I say it was an alternative to D locks or others

Also 2 locks even the same, but different makes are better than one
AUTISTIC and proud
Psamathe

Re: Price of anti angle grinder locks are really falling now there is competition

Post by Psamathe »

Pinhead wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 12:53pm
Psamathe wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 12:47pm
Pinhead wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 12:38pm

100% that is why I use two different D locks on my bikes and an alarm

Many different views as to whether an alarm is any sort of deterrent. Personally I use an alarm more to notify my somebody is messing with my cycle (e.g. when asleep in a tent). I would not be regarding an alarm as an anti-theft measure along the lines of locks.

Ian
Did I say it was an alternative to D locks or others

Also 2 locks even the same, but different makes are better than one
I said two DIFFERENT types of lock - to which you said "100% that is why I use two different D locks..." - ie tow of the SAME tyopes of lock!

Ian
PH

Post by PH »

Pinhead wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 12:52pm Sold Secure Diamond locks offer the highest level of theft resistance. They are designed to prevent the most destructive attacks, even against angle grinders.
In case it wasn't clear from my previous posts - It's the testing which has changed, not necessarily the locks. Hardened steel, which is what the shackle on the lock in the OP link is made from, has been used on some locks for decades. Specific angle grinder resistant locks, like the Litelok, are something new. Two SS Diamond locks might have considerably different resistance to angle grinders, we don't know, we're not told, we only know they've passed the SS test. Likewise a Silver or Gold lock might also have been able to pass the Diamond angle grinder test, but not obtained that rating on another criteria. Get the lock/s you're happy with, none of them will stop a competent thief, with the right tools, the best you can hope for is that they have easier options.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

pwa wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 10:08am As someone who has cut a lot of scaffolding pipe and other steel objects in the past, I'd be surprised of someone made a lock that really prevented theft.
...thinking about it, you almost want to invent something like a u-lock jacket. Some sort of tube which fits around the u of your u-lock and is full of those anti-ballistic fibres (like my old chainsaw trousers) that way, if the spinning blade of the angle grinder is placed in contact with the fibres - the fibres are picked up by the blade then completely gum up the angle grinder - stopping it from working.... at which point the thieves would need two or maybe three grinders to complete the task..
PH

Post by PH »

cycle tramp wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 1:41pmthe fibres are picked up by the blade then completely gum up the angle grinder - stopping it from working.... at which point the thieves would need two or maybe three grinders to complete the task..
I think that's similar to the way the Liteloc and other grinder resistant locks work. It might not be fibres, there's a fair bit of mumbo-jumbo about materials, but the intention is to blunt the disc, it doesn't necessarily make them harder to cut in other ways. Considering the thieves are going to be using battery tools and probably cheap ones, it's not just the wearing down of discs that matters.
The best option is to have more than one lock, it wouldn't matter that they were both D locks, as long as different methods were needed to defeat them.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Pinhead wrote: 22 Dec 2023, 3:05pm Price of anti angle grinder locks are really falling now there is competition

£119

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-a ... scQAvD_BwE
And..... the offer is over, back up to 140 pounds.. consumer demand increasing prices?
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Deleted
Last edited by cycle tramp on 3 Mar 2024, 12:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Pinhead wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 12:52pm Sold Secure Diamond locks offer the highest level of theft resistance. They are designed to prevent the most destructive attacks, even against angle grinders.

https://www.litelok.com/collections/sol ... d%20option.
Plenty of old beefy d locks (usually those with 16mm+ decently hardened shackles) have been subsequently regraded as diamond since the new tier was introduced but aren't particularly angle grinder resistant. A 4.5" portable angle grinder with a standard cutoff disc will still get through the now diamond rated onguard brute/abus 540/kryptonite NYs in under 2 minutes and going on the spec I can't see this squire being much different - indeed for a 16mm shackle it seems really quite expensive (the brute can be found for £40 usually)

Ironically litelok is pretty much the reason that diamond tier became necessary as their first product, the belt style litelok gold got a gold rating it really didn't deserve because sold secure's toolbox apparently didn't have a set of steel rated wire cutters in it. And then they got embarrassed by this:

https://youtu.be/D-On0DGcDlc?si=UKubZ_jwkrfmfVlz

until that point gold had largely been a good proxy for 'realistically needs power tools, jacks etc' something that diamond has replaced it as, but there's no separate sold secure tier for the specific angle grinder resistant locks as yet.

Psamathe wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 10:58am I'm no expert but I thought thieves against D-locks often don't use angle grinders but levers, car jacks, hydraulics, etc.
Given how capable portable angle grinders are they just tend to use those for anything these days as they're very versatile, even for things you could reasonably use manual hand tools for.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
fixer

Post by fixer »

SoldSecure Diamond D locks:

https://www.soldsecure.com/approved-pro ... _types=166

I don't think any of them claim to be grinder resistant except for the Litelok X1 and X3, and the Hiplok D1000.

"Standard" D locks like the Kryptonite NY Fahgettaboudit can be cut with an angle grinder in a few minutes.

https://www.squirelocks.co.uk/shop/stro ... 6-230.html
has nothing on being grinder resistant.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

cycle tramp wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 1:41pm

...thinking about it, you almost want to invent something like a u-lock jacket. Some sort of tube which fits around the u of your u-lock and is full of those anti-ballistic fibres (like my old chainsaw trousers) that way, if the spinning blade of the angle grinder is placed in contact with the fibres - the fibres are picked up by the blade then completely gum up the angle grinder - stopping it from working.... at which point the thieves would need two or maybe three grinders to complete the task..
would those fibres really stop an angle grinder, can see how they would foul a chain, but an angle grinder disc?

and why do they call them anti-Ballistic materials (they don't fall back to earth)? it always seems such a misused word - even going ballistic (as in a bad temper) what does that mean, they fall over ?
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Decathlon do some D locks with a very think coating of what I'd call soft ruberised plastic (or similar), which I assume(d) was to protect the paint on your bike.
One of the maintenance people at work (who get called on from time to time to angle grind D locks) muttered about such locks, saying they gunged up his angle grinder making the locks really difficult to cut though. So there may well be something in the gunging up cutting tools comment.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Deleted
Last edited by cycle tramp on 3 Mar 2024, 8:58am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

cycle tramp wrote: 24 Dec 2023, 4:27pm ...
..the other thing that crosses my mind (if only because I am a black hearted scoundrel) is a hollow u lock filled with a deeply unpleasant chemical... grinder cuts through the u lock and the chemical gets sprayed everywhere by the blade.....
SkunkLock:
https://www.skunklock.com

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Dec 2023, 4:29pm
cycle tramp wrote: 24 Dec 2023, 4:27pm ...
..the other thing that crosses my mind (if only because I am a black hearted scoundrel) is a hollow u lock filled with a deeply unpleasant chemical... grinder cuts through the u lock and the chemical gets sprayed everywhere by the blade.....
SkunkLock:
https://www.skunklock.com

Jonathan
Legal in UK?

Ian
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

cycle tramp wrote: 24 Dec 2023, 4:27pm As I understood it, the anti-ballistic fibres were designed to stop or slow bullets... the reasoning goes something like this, bullets fired from a modern fire arm (except shot guns or automatic derived versions thereof) spin through the air and apparently the bullets aren't smooth either.. on a much smaller level bullets are covered on nicks and burrs... so the ideal was that when the bullet encounters these anti-ballistic fibres in a bullet proof vest, the fibres in the vest attach themselves to the nicks and burrs of the bullet, slowing its rotation and slowing the bullet...
No, when it comes to bullets they are woven into a tight mesh and it's just using their very high tensile strength to catch the bullet, spreading the force out. Most soft vests will still stop solid shotgun slugs regardless of being fired from a smooth barrel (definitely going to feel that one though/crack a rib!)

'Anti-ballistic' just tends to be one of those phrases abused for marketing purposes for aramid fiber (Kevlar being one mostly genericised brand name for it) but the construction, weave and other materials involved make a huge difference to the function.

Chainsaw trousers are designed to operate by clogging the blade but they'd be fairly poor at stopping bullets and bullet resistant vests don't necessarily do great with chainsaws or being stabbed.

I guess anti grinder use would be more similar to the chainsaw method. Typical metal cutting discs are basically rough sandpaper in texture (they are actually made of the same carbide compounds used in some sandpapers, just formed into a rigid thin disc rather than glued onto thick paper)

I know aluminium is a pain to cut through with carbide discs as it similarly tends to gum up the cutting surface and another anti grinder lock the altor SAF (possibly discontinued?) used it.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop