Police fail to arrest driver of rolled car

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: Police fail to arrest driver of rolled car

Post by thirdcrank »

UpWrong wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 5:26pm
thirdcrank wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 5:17pm @ UpWrong

I don't expect "act and section" from a layman but to put it bluntly, I do not think you have paid much heed to what I was saying.. To put it another way, what's incorrect in my post?
There's nothing incorrect in your post. The Law appears to be operating in a blinkered box and it wouldn't be the first time.
If I've not made it clear, I don't think that in this context that the law is in any way blinkered. On the contrary, it has eventually got this better than it has been before. ie This wide power is constrained so it's only properly used when genuinely necessary. I'd hesitate to say "Got this right" because there may be more to come (You have edited your OP so I don't know what you were alleging originally)
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

thirdcrank wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 5:39pm
UpWrong wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 5:26pm
thirdcrank wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 5:17pm @ UpWrong

I don't expect "act and section" from a layman but to put it bluntly, I do not think you have paid much heed to what I was saying.. To put it another way, what's incorrect in my post?
There's nothing incorrect in your post. The Law appears to be operating in a blinkered box and it wouldn't be the first time.
If I've not made it clear, I don't think that in this context that the law is in any way blinkered. On the contrary, it has eventually got this better than it has been before. ie This wide power is constrained so it's only properly used when genuinely necessary. I'd hesitate to say "Got this right" because there may be more to come (You have edited your OP so I don't know what you were alleging originally)
I corrected a spelling mistake in the title of my first post.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Bonefishblues wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 5:15pm What information would you like, given your concern about bad police management of PR?
For a start,

Is it clear that the driver wasn't under the influence of drink or drugs?
Is the driver's eyesight satisfactory?
Is the driver insured and the vehicle licenced to be on the road?
Is there an on-going investigation?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

UpWrong wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 5:50pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 5:15pm What information would you like, given your concern about bad police management of PR?
For a start,

My emboldening.

Yes, there is an investigation, according to the newspaper article which you cited in the OP.

Jonathan
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Jdsk wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 5:57pm
For a start,

My emboldening.

Yes, there is an investigation, according to the newspaper article which you cited in the OP.

Jonathan
Yes, that was belatedly established. To be fair, the media could well be at fault, they have a tendency to get things wrong.

My point is the police need to give the message these things are important and are checked.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

UpWrong wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 5:45pm
Sorry for being suspicious.

My point remains that - based only on my research today - that arresting the driver in this case would have been an inappropriate use of the power created under the 2005 Act (linked above)

I would also say - based on my wide experience under the old rules - and to the extent I assume the details outlined in the original report to be true, I cannot see that any useful contribution would be be made to this investigation by arresting the driver.

FWIW, I feel this cycling "Tzar" might usefully have been more circumspect in their comments on social media
============================================
My point is the police need to give the message these things are important and are checked.
I do not accept that the police should misuse powers to give a message
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

thirdcrank wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 6:10pm
UpWrong wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 5:45pm
Sorry for being suspicious.

My point remains that - based only on my research today - that arresting the driver in this case would have been an inappropriate use of the power created under the 2005 Act (linked above)

I would also say - based on my wide experience under the old rules - and to the extent I assume the details outlined in the original report to be true, I cannot see that any useful contribution would be be made to this investigation by arresting the driver.

FWIW, I feel this cycling "Tzar" might usefully have been more circumspect in their comments on social media
============================================
I do not accept that the police should misuse powers to give a message
Nor do I, and I understand your objection to the thread title which was constructed in haste.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

thirdcrank wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 6:10pm I do not accept that the police should misuse powers to give a message
The judiciary though are often told to send messages in their sentencing.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If we consider what happened - as opposed to what might have happened - there was a crash. Probably a spectacular crash. The media are always hoping for a good quote which imo is a reason for tzars and their like to be circumspect about their comments
And there's a system governing that
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

UpWrong wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 6:07pm
For a start,

My emboldening.

Jonathan
Yes, that was belatedly established. To be fair, the media could well be at fault, they have a tendency to get things wrong.

Won't those and many other things be the subject of the ongoing investigation?
It may be actively unhelpful to enquiries to start giving active updates. I'm mindful of events in the river wyre on the recent past.
Doubtless the facts will come out in due course. 3 days after the event, less so, and I'm sure with good reason.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Bonefishblues wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 6:24pm
My emboldening.

Jonathan

It may be actively unhelpful to enquiries to start giving active updates. I'm mindful of events in the river wyre on the recent past.
Doubtless the facts will come out in due course. 3 days after the event, less so, and I'm sure with good reason.
They may come out in due course, but will they be reported? I think all the above should be clarified up front in the first communication within 24 hrs.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

UpWrong wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 6:35pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 6:24pm

They may come out in due course, but will they be reported? I think all the above should be clarified up front in the first communication within 24 hrs.
It just featured on the BBC 6 o'clock news. Any good?
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Mike Sales wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 6:14pm
thirdcrank wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 6:10pm I do not accept that the police should misuse powers to give a message
The great thing about being a judge is that you are rarely obliged to do as you are told.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

DaveReading wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 6:56pm
Mike Sales wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 6:14pm
The great thing about being a judge is that you are rarely obliged to do as you are told.
There are formal Guidelines and Judges have to justify why they have sentenced as they did.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

May be the police had not seen that video when they attended. If they had they would probably of arrested the driver for driving like a plank. As it was they may have assumed it had just fallen over, unusually parked. Police have funny ideas sometimes.

They often seem to arrest then release under investigation, HGV drivers when they are involved in accidents - why do they do that?