Between Andulucia and Algarve

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ChrisF

Between Andulucia and Algarve

Post by ChrisF »

This is a bit of a long shot, but I wonder if anyone has cycled between these two regions via a route other than at the coast, where there is a known ferry at Ayamonte? On OpenStreetMap there are ferries across the river at Alcoutin and further north at Pomarao (which is only a tiny village). RideWithGPS will route me across either of these, whereas cycle.travel only across the latter for some reason. I have searched Google and it seems the Alcoutin ferry does exist, but I can't find if it carries bicycles. (There is a zipwire across which I don't fancy with a bike ...

I'm thinking of riding this area in winter, not duing summer tourist months, which may of course affect the answer.
Chris F, Cornwall
simonhill

Re: Between Andulucia and Algarve

Post by simonhill »

Pomarao is a bridge. Although not across the main Guadiana River but a tributary. You cross the main one a bit later in Portugal. Google maps in Street view shows it as a good road bridge.

For the Alcoutin ferry, there are a few recent reviews on Google (1 month latest) but as you say, nothing about bikes.

Interesting review here from Sanlucar, the town opposite:
"It is a charming place, in the last week of March it places a floating bridge that communicates with the nearby town of Alcautin in Portugal, celebrating the smuggling fair that in ancient times existed throughout this area, mainly coffee, tobacco and basic necessities. that were scarce in this area after the civil war, "

Is that your zip wire?
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

simonhill wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 4:56pm Pomarao is a bridge. Although not across the main Guadiana River but a tributary. You cross the main one a bit later in Portugal. Google maps in Street view shows it as a good road bridge.
OSM shows both a bridge across the tributary and a ferry across the Guadiana: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/37.55463/-7.52458
For the Alcoutin ferry, there are a few recent reviews on Google (1 month latest) but as you say, nothing about bikes.

Interesting review here from Sanlucar, the town opposite:
"It is a charming place, in the last week of March it places a floating bridge that communicates with the nearby town of Alcautin in Portugal, celebrating the smuggling fair that in ancient times existed throughout this area, mainly coffee, tobacco and basic necessities. that were scarce in this area after the civil war, "

Is that your zip wire?
No - the zip wire is here https://www.limitezero.com/ and the floating bridge can be seen here https://www.algarvetips.com/cities/alco ... ontrabando
Having now found that website for the zipwire, I see that it only runs from March. Presumably they have a ferry to return people who have zipped. So there is a ferry in the summer, it seems. But what about Jan and Feb, I wonder.

Thanks for your input :)
Chris F, Cornwall
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Thanks for those links.

The zip wire website says this
"Yes, there is a ferry service that constantly crosses back and forth between Alcoutim and Sanlúcar."

Could be worth emailing them to ask.

On a general point. This is why I encourage all people to post on Google reviews about what they find. I have used them a lot post COVID to see if things (hotels, bike shops, transport, etc) have opened. If no reviews for 3 years, then it's a reasonable guess that it hasn't reopened. My review on a ferry still running near Seville has had many likes.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

simonhill wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 10:27am The zip wire website says this
"Yes, there is a ferry service that constantly crosses back and forth between Alcoutim and Sanlúcar."

On a general point. This is why I encourage all people to post on Google reviews about what they find. I have used them a lot post COVID to see if things (hotels, bike shops, transport, etc) have opened. If no reviews for 3 years, then it's a reasonable guess that it hasn't reopened. My review on a ferry still running near Seville has had many likes.
That's good advice. I have sent a message to the zipwire people.
Earlier this year I also started adding Google reviews whenever I travel. I do get a bit annoyed though when I'm asked to review every supermarket I've popped in to get a snack!

My proposed trip next month will also probably take in Seville, so I'd like to know which ferry you used!
Chris F, Cornwall
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The ferry is south of Seville on the Guadalquivir River. I was heading north and west from Cadiz towards Portugal and it saved me from going into Seville which is the lowest bridging point. I went via Seville on the way back - great city.

La Barca de Coria (Desde Aljarafe - Huelva) / TRANSFLUVIAL - EMBARCADERO OESTE
La Barca de Coria (Margen Coria del Río) / Transportes Fluviales Coria del Rio

When I crossed there hadn't been any recent updates and with COVID it was a bit of a worry as it was out of the way if not running. I now see there are hundreds of updates for the it.

I agree that some of the Google notifications are a pain. Apparently I'm in the top 100 posters in the world!!

I cycled from Porto to Villa Real de Santo Antonio (Ayamonte) late 2021 and Malaga to Gib to Ayamonte and back to Malaga in early 2022. Happy to answer any questions, although my cycling is fairly tame nowadays, as much tourism as touring.
Gearoidmuar

I'm the man!

Post by Gearoidmuar »

We have an apartment on the Spanish side near Ayamonte.
The Ferry goes once an hour in the winter, from Portugal on the half hour after 9.am Portuguese time and from the Spanish side on the hour after 10 Spanish time. You pay about 3.40 euro for bike and yourself.
There is a motorboat ferry from Alcoutim to Sanlucar and back. You just whistle or yell and you can get the man. It takes your bike too. It's cheap. Note, it's hilly to Alcoutim and hilly as hell after Sanlucar. I've often cycled it but not with full touring kit. I'd recommend crossing at Ayamonte.
Much higher up the river there's a bridge at Mertola.
ChrisF

Re: I'm the man!

Post by ChrisF »

Gearoidmuar wrote: 18 Dec 2023, 4:10pm We have an apartment on the Spanish side near Ayamonte.
The Ferry goes once an hour in the winter, from Portugal on the half hour after 9.am Portuguese time and from the Spanish side on the hour after 10 Spanish time. You pay about 3.40 euro for bike and yourself.
There is a motorboat ferry from Alcoutim to Sanlucar and back. You just whistle or yell and you can get the man. It takes your bike too. It's cheap. Note, it's hilly to Alcoutim and hilly as hell after Sanlucar. I've often cycled it but not with full touring kit. I'd recommend crossing at Ayamonte.
Thanks for that info! I was thinking about a round-trip (from Faro airport to Seville), so going one way and returning another. I'm pretty used to hills, living in Cornwall, but anyway I'll have help with an e-bike this time.
Any more local info gratefully received....
Chris F, Cornwall
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Are you hiring the e-bike?

I ask because most airlines don't allow them to be carried.
Gearoidmuar

Re: I'm the man!

Post by Gearoidmuar »

ChrisF wrote: 18 Dec 2023, 5:49pm
Gearoidmuar wrote: 18 Dec 2023, 4:10pm We have an apartment on the Spanish side near Ayamonte.
Thanks for that info! I was thinking about a round-trip (from Faro airport to Seville), so going one way and returning another. I'm pretty used to hills, living in Cornwall, but anyway I'll have help with an e-bike this time.
Any more local info gratefully received....
Seville is a fantastic city. See the Cathedral hopefully with the famous Retablo behind the altar illuminated. See the nearby Alcazar and the old Jewish quarter with famous old pubs etc. You can do a horse and car tour of the old city. Well worth it. Lovely city just to explore.
I know how hilly Cornwall is as I've cycled there about 6 times. Area up towards San Lucar, Alcoutim is that level of hilliness, though not as steep as some of the Cornish hills, but much longer climbs
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

simonhill wrote: 18 Dec 2023, 6:15pm Are you hiring the e-bike?

I ask because most airlines don't allow them to be carried.
I'm planning to either send one by special courier, or to buy a spare at a local shop. Maybe both. If all goes to plan I'll be returning via rail & ship.
Chris F, Cornwall
PrakashBaghela

Post by PrakashBaghela »

It's definitely worth exploring alternatives to the Ayamonte ferry, especially in winter months. Here's a quick breakdown:

Alcoutin: Ferry exists, unclear about bikes. Try contacting them directly at +351 281 540 170 or +351 926 682 605.

Pomarao: Smaller operation, RideWithGPS suggests it accepts bikes. Contact info might be harder to find, but local cycling forums or shops might have insight.

Alternatives: Consider a detour via El Granado dam or even crossing Spain further north (Merida?).

Tip: Winter may impact schedules, so contacting ferries/authorities beforehand is crucial.

Good luck navigating the river (and bureaucracy)!
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

OP Postscript.
Today I took the ferry from Alcoutim (Portugal) across the river to Spain. So it does run in March (seemingly every half-hour) and it does take bikes. 2.50 euros.
I did a one-day round trip, crossing back into Portugal via Mertola. Only a small sample, but Spanish roads have better surfaces than Portuguese ones!
Chris F, Cornwall
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

ChrisF wrote: 8 Mar 2024, 8:28pm OP Postscript.
Today I took the ferry from Alcoutim (Portugal) across the river to Spain. So it does run in March (seemingly every half-hour) and it does take bikes. 2.50 euros.
I did a one-day round trip, crossing back into Portugal via Mertola. Only a small sample, but Spanish roads have better surfaces than Portuguese ones!
I hope you are having a fabulous trip- looking forward to some photos. Sevilla will be building up to Semana Santa which is amazing but accommodation will be very busy in the week running up to Easter.
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

simonhill wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 10:27am Thanks for those links.

The zip wire website says this

Please maintain OpenStreetMap (easy to do). It is OUR map. It is used by many bike routing apps. It has places for opening times but no reviews - just facts. I never use Google Maps and do not have an account.
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.