First ride in four months

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

First ride in four months

Post by Mick F »

Weather permitting, I'm going to turn a pedal for the first time since August on Monday. My mileages have steadily dropped over the last few years.

I've cycled almost all my life. Even after joining the RN aged 16 and right through until my mid 40's. A bike was with me all over the world, and I rode it when I could. Even did JOGLE in 1994 when my ship was in Scotland when I had some time off.

I Left the RN and we bought a crappy old bungalow and I spent some years sorting it out and my bike was relegated into the loft.
Six years later, I felt guilty for not cycling. October 2004 was a watershed and I was eventually doing 100miles a week, as well as LEJOG and Back, and JOGLE on the infernal Raleigh Chopper.

Now?
Nothing.

Monday will be a telling moment.
We live in a steep valley, and there is nowhere to ride unless you climb out. Wish me luck, but I'm no spring chicken any more.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Re: First ride in four months

Post by rjb »

I'm gunning for you. Have a good ride. Could you use your bus pass to help you up the hill until you are a bit fitter.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Midwinter and steep hills - going for the jugular...

Enjoy!
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Mick, have you really low gears?

I've been off the bike for 15 days due to patellar tendonitis, after a really hard unwise spin 17 days ago. My physio, which is working after two days back is effortless cycling, including climbing slowly in my lowest gear. The best way by far to get fit, is really easy cycling done in smallish doses every day.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I've been off for just two weeks and it's making me climb the walls. Four months? Crikey.

Have a good one, Mick.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I have only ridden 15 miles (one ride) since August 8th when my Daughter bought a house and I was granted building/decorating/gardening duties - It's 100 miles away, so not really feasible to ride there. I was going to ride last weekend but ice was around.... maybe tomorrow like Mick?
Have a good ride Mick
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi guys, and thanks for the good wishes.
I'm nervous already!

Hard part is getting out of the valley.
Head west and it's steep, though sort of ok afterwards.
Head east, it's not so steep, but it's hilly afterwards.
Mick F. Cornwall
gaz

Post by gaz »

Good to hear your plan to get back in the saddle. Take is as easy as the hills will allow, the goal is to enjoy the ride.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Having climbed Gunnislake hill on our JOGLE ( and met Mick at the top!) I don’t know how you have managed to cycle regularly whilst living there. I’d be putting the bike in the car and driving to somewhere flatter.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

You'll be fine, Mick. Your head and body never forget how it's done even if you do. Good luck anyway!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Mick F wrote: 9 Dec 2023, 2:17pm
Don't be embarrassed to walk the steep part ! Have a few straight up the glacially steepened hill sides, on my local, regular rides. Typical 485' ascent at the end of the past two years 28.5 mile, late afternoon / evening spin, always felt near "vertical"

Have never walked those sections, but had a need to walk those "vertical" sections this year. And? On a 20, 30 or 40 mile ride, walking up those impossible ascents, may take a total of a 4-7 minute brisk walk. And turns a daunting ride, into an enjoyable spin :)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Good luck Mick! Nothing like it is there...

Al :wink:
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Mick F wrote: 9 Dec 2023, 2:17pm Hi guys, and thanks for the good wishes.
I'm nervous already!

Head west and it's steep, though sort of ok afterwards.
Head east, it's not so steep, but it's hilly afterwards.
It may be time for that e-bike! I know that you're wary of such a thing but allow me to recommend one nevertheless, based on a few thousand kilometres now riding two different albeit similar e-bikes around the extremely hilly West Welsh countryside (as well as the unassisted bikes).

You'll still perform as much hard pedalling work as you like. But the helpful motor with its various levels (also changeable-by-you) of assistance will offer you the following primary cycling service: you'll suffer no psychological barrier to attempting any route you like, even the extremely hilly routes, as you'll be fully confident of getting up and over even if your personal flesh & blud motor tells you that a stall is otherwise imminent.

Just press a button - green, blue or red - for an appropriate boost. My buttons add 75 watts (green) or 140 watts (blue) or 210 watts (red). I never use the red but it'd be handy should I ever bonk 10 miles from home. The other two are only ever used up long steep hills, usually from around half way up when that leg-stall is coming on. Press the white button to turn the motor off again when the slope abates.

E-bikes are a bit heavier although much less than you might imagine. Their weight makes no difference on the flat; and is rather good on the downhills, as it lowers the centre of gravity of the whole bike & rider. Many motors have no drag on your transmission when they're turned off.

Try it, you'll like it. :-)
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
IanH

Post by IanH »

Plus 1 for the e-bike!
I can't stop myself smiling whenever the motor kicks in. I was concerned about battery capacity but for short rides of up to two hours it's never been a problem. My gravel bike is staying in the garage for the winter and in this winter weather I can wear warm clothes and solid footwear on my ebike, without ending up in a sweaty heap. I could go on, but the advice won't change. Try an ebike!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good morning guys.

Off out on Moulton in and hour or so. Moulton has a triple 10sp combined with a 3sp SA. Loadsa gears to choose from! :D

I could take a different route to avoid Sand Hill (AKA Gunnislake Hill) via Calstock Rd and then up through the village of Albaston, rather than tacking it head-on. You still have to get to the same elevation though, but the route has its hills in stages.

Trouble is, there's a flood on Calstock Rd, so I'll be climbing the main hill.

Here's the alternative route, followed by the main route.
Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 08.54.42.png
Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 08.55.06.png
Mick F. Cornwall