First ride in four months

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cugel

Re: First ride in four months

Post by Cugel »

pjclinch wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 10:16am
jimlews wrote: 9 Jan 2024, 3:24pm Yegods ! Preserve us from e-bike missionaries !!
There's quite the difference between evangelists telling us we should all be on e-bikes and pragmatists saying that it's actually okay to have some assistance if it's appropriate.

My wife likes to move under her own steam, but has a couple of e-assist options available for pragmatic reasons. The cargo trike may be moving loads of 100+ Kg about and Dundee is Not Flat, so it's the e-trike or the van. The e-trike still involves exercise, costs less to run, takes up less road space and is cleaner, so deciding not to use it is an own-goal on several levels. Her e-folder is used to commute between campsites and ceramics shows, potentially 10+ miles over hills and in to headwinds, and when she arrives there's nowhere to shower/change and she needs to be able to present a professional front to customers. And the alternative is driving the van there, again that's less exercise, more pollution, more cost and more road danger. I don't see how that's a good thing, but it's where "I'm not using an e-bike!" can get you.

When I get to the point I can't have an enjoyable ride out on an acoustic bike I'll be getting some powered help. I'll regret not being able to do all the work myself, but I won't regret moving through the landscape in the open air having a nice day because being self-powered is only part of the gig.

Pete.
Heresy is soon to be once more a crime, so you'd better hide that e-bike and acquire a stinker-ICE capable of mowing down cyclists - those on e-bikes especially. Mind, those found harbouring an e-bike are likely to be sentenced to death via continuous hill climbs on a 1953 Pashley with bad bearings and a saddle bag with three bricks in it.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Sent: 10 Jan 2024, 4:34pm
Recipient: slowster

Thank you for your explanation of 'trolling', "slowster".

I appreciate that "cugel" considers himself something of a "humourist",
so I guess I'll have to take his (lets call it) ribbing in good part.
I shall hold my tongue, in future.

FWIW. I'm with "colin54", below

Post by colin54 » 5 Jan 2024, 11:57am

"I don't get how this thread about Mick going for a ride has become full of unasked for advice about electric bikes, which he's stated he's not interested in. I'm sure he knows where the sub-section of the forum is regarding electric bikes should he become interested in the future".
Nu-Fogey

And, indeed "Mick F", the OP

Post by Mick F » 14 Dec 2023, 9:17am

"Good morning guys.

eBikes:
I've made my views know many times on here.
I do not want one and I do not need one.
My whole ethos about riding a bike, is one of exercise and doing under my own steam.
If I can't, I won't.
I'd rather go on a good walk ................. after all you don't buy eShoes do you?"

...Which seemed to elicit a plethora of unasked for e-bike "advice" and comments not far short of taunting.
While I dislike e-bikes, I personally am not bothered what other people ride and have said so on this forum.
I just wish the e-bike evangelists would extend the the same courtesy.
After all, there is a dedicated sub-section of the forum for the e-bike enthusiast.
Regards,
Jim
colin54

Post by colin54 »

jimlews wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 4:57pm After all, there is a dedicated sub-section of the forum for the e-bike enthusiast.
Indeed Jim, just that.
I've just started a new thread in the appropriate section for E-bike riders to unleash their battery of praise.
Colin, sat cross legged in resistance, intoning ohm-ohm-ohm.
viewtopic.php?t=159449
Nu-Fogey
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

jimlews wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 4:57pm ...Which seemed to elicit a plethora of unasked for e-bike "advice" and comments not far short of taunting.
While I dislike e-bikes, I personally am not bothered what other people ride and have said so on this forum.
After all, there is a dedicated sub-section of the forum for the e-bike enthusiast.
I don't think anyone was taunting or evangelising but when someone posts a thread about how it's their first ride in 4 months, they'll be finding it tough, they're not getting any younger (all of which MickF said in various posts in the first few pages), it's not an unreasonable response to suggest that an e-bike could be one possible solution.

Yes there's a sub-forum for it but it's fairly obvious that he won't be looking there. This is an active conversation, same as you might have down the pub and "you should consider trying an e-bike" is a legitimate answer. The OP subsequently came back and said he had no intention of doing so (although he gave no actual reason for that other than a vague notion of not wanting any assistance).

I'd find it genuinely interesting to understand why MickF has said that - I don't know if he's got some preconceptions about e-bikes being a motorbike/moped (they aren't) or if it goes against some sort of perceived "purity" of cycling using human power alone or what but it's surely up to him to state on here "I want no more mention of e-bikes, I will never ride one, stop trying to convince me" (or, rather less likely, "OK, you've convinced me, I'll pop along to my LBS and try one out") rather than for anyone else to decide what is and isn't a valid answer.

I see from another thread that MickF has Covid at the moment (get well soon Mick!) and I also know that a (previously very fit and healthy) friend recovering from Long Covid could only ride an e-bike as he'd lost so much fitness but it was essential for his wellbeing and recovery.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good afternoon guys.
I'm getting better. Mrs Mick is not good and has caught Covid now. She's back in bed again. I'll test myself tomorrow.

The Covid thing isn't the issue here.
I didn't ride for four months because I had other things to do, not because I was ill.

I ride for pleasure and relaxation, and if I don't ride, I still get plenty exercise. All I've lost is cycle-fitness, not general fitness. I can walk for miles, but my cycling distances have been decimated due to lack of practice. Walking and cycling use different muscle groups.

Give me a week, and I'll be out on a 25mile ride.
I don't know anybody in their early 70s who would even contemplate riding 25miles ............ unassisted.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote: 11 Jan 2024, 3:32pm Good afternoon guys.
I'm getting better. Mrs Mick is not good and has caught Covid now. She's back in bed again. I'll test myself tomorrow.

The Covid thing isn't the issue here.
I didn't ride for four months because I had other things to do, not because I was ill.

I ride for pleasure and relaxation, and if I don't ride, I still get plenty exercise. All I've lost is cycle-fitness, not general fitness. I can walk for miles, but my cycling distances have been decimated due to lack of practice. Walking and cycling use different muscle groups.

Give me a week, and I'll be out on a 25mile ride.
I don't know anybody in their early 70s who would even contemplate riding 25miles ............ unassisted.
Go Mick F .. I hope I'm as fit 10 years from now.

Get well soon Mrs F
I am here. Where are you?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

rareposter wrote: 11 Jan 2024, 1:25pm
jimlews wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 4:57pm ...Which seemed to elicit a plethora of unasked for e-bike "advice" and comments not far short of taunting.
I don't think anyone was taunting or evangelising but when someone posts a thread about how it's their first ride in 4 months, they'll be finding it tough, they're not getting any younger (all of which MickF said in various posts in the first few pages), it's not an unreasonable response to suggest that an e-bike could be one possible solution.

Yes there's a sub-forum for e-bikes but it's fairly obvious that Mick won't be looking there. This is an active conversation, same as you might have down the pub and "you should consider trying an e-bike" is a legitimate answer. The OP subsequently came back and said he had no intention of doing so (although he gave no actual reason for that other than a vague notion of not wanting any assistance).

I'd find it genuinely interesting to understand why MickF has said that - I don't know if he's got some preconceptions about e-bikes being a motorbike/moped (they aren't) or if it goes against some sort of perceived "purity" of cycling using human power alone or what but it's surely up to him to state on here "I want no more mention of e-bikes, I will never ride one, stop trying to convince me" (or, rather less likely, "OK, you've convinced me, I'll pop along to my LBS and try one out") rather than for anyone else to decide what is and isn't a valid answer.

I see from another thread that MickF has Covid at the moment (get well soon Mick!) and I also know that a (previously very fit and healthy) friend recovering from Long Covid could only ride an e-bike as he'd lost so much fitness but it was essential for his wellbeing and recovery.
Just so.

I'd also like to add what I thought was obvious, intrinsic to the format of a forum and beyond any need to make explicit - a forum is a public place in which threads, although begun by an individual, don't somehow "belong" to that individual. Threads may wander about various subjects and those who post in them are speaking to anyone and everyone who cares to read them.

I suppose that if a reply is addressed to an individual (e.g. Mick, in this thread) some will assume it's some sort of private conversation, But it ain't - it's more like the sort of intercourse one comes across in a pub, where a remark is superficially addressed to an individual in response to their remarks but is in fact a public pronouncement to all within earshot, as well as an invitation to respond or take part in the conversation.

Frankly, I resent those self-appointed censors who attempt to limit the conversation so as to ban remarks they don't like. Either ignore such remarks or respond to their content. Leave it to the forum monitors to decide if a remark is beyond the pale of the forum rules.
Last edited by Cugel on 17 Jan 2024, 1:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
horizon

Post by horizon »

rareposter wrote: 11 Jan 2024, 1:25pm
Yes there's a sub-forum for it but it's fairly obvious that he won't be looking there. This is an active conversation, same as you might have down the pub and "you should consider trying an e-bike" is a legitimate answer. The OP subsequently came back and said he had no intention of doing so (although he gave no actual reason for that other than a vague notion of not wanting any assistance).
I very much agree. What makes this (lively) thread so interesting is that it's right on the zone: should one get an ebike in this circumstance? We have a real, live case and it's raising the right issues.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

20odd miles yesterday .............. under my own steam.
Main issue is that I was COLD even doing the effort entirely with muscles.

Lotsa wind-chill despite the temp being +4degC.

PS: Covid negative.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 1:51pm 20odd miles yesterday .............. under my own steam.
Main issue is that I was COLD even doing the effort entirely with muscles.

Lotsa wind-chill despite the temp being +4degC.

PS: Covid negative.
I'm over my cold just in time for all that snow so not going out on bike till that clears. It's just too dangerous apart from cold freezing fog which I don't do well in.

4 degrees is my cut off point for commuting on bike -- just can't get warmed up even on the mountain bike.
I am here. Where are you?
willcee

Post by willcee »

MICK ET ALL.. good to hear that you're on the mend, and like someone else here said it takes a few weeks or more to gradually get back some bike fitness and perhaps a year to get most of the strength back without blowing a gasket as a 70 year old, ask me at 72 how i know.. the awful wet weather, my health and caring responsibilities together with refettling my 3rd Eunos Mazda i haven't cycled for more than 3 months, and an old 50's Rotrax that i was half coaxed to buy, now rebuilt and dying for a few miles on her.. anyhow to reach back into a good story about a die hard racing man a vet and hard cyclist who was totally anti E...
He had bought a high end machine from a local retailer, a boutique LBS real fancy pants operation with a heralded cafe house tied on at the side, said machine was due a service and he was asked to bring it down, it was early summer, he rode down the 30 miles from his home and landed early morning, and they said they would loan him a bike so he could have a run around the nearby seaside routes for a few hours while they did the work, but all they had was an road E bike, he was annoyed and sulked the owner cajouled him and eventaully he got it tuned to his size with his saddle and pedals and some instructions and off he went..i just don't remember what they gave him as the place worked with several marques but rest assured it would have been several thousand ... must have been 3PM before he was spotted back and came in with a huge smiling face, and leaving out the F's regaled them with his ride, and how the hell could i have been so wrong.. The guy would have been in same vein as mickf..never me never...will
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

willcee wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 7:02pm MICK ET ALL.. good to hear that you're on the mend, and like someone else here said it takes a few weeks or more to gradually get back some bike fitness and perhaps a year to get most of the strength back without blowing a gasket as a 70 year old, ask me at 72 how i know.. the awful wet weather, my health and caring responsibilities together with refettling my 3rd Eunos Mazda i haven't cycled for more than 3 months, and an old 50's Rotrax that i was half coaxed to buy, now rebuilt and dying for a few miles on her.. anyhow to reach back into a good story about a die hard racing man a vet and hard cyclist who was totally anti E...
He had bought a high end machine from a local retailer, a boutique LBS real fancy pants operation with a heralded cafe house tied on at the side, said machine was due a service and he was asked to bring it down, it was early summer, he rode down the 30 miles from his home and landed early morning, and they said they would loan him a bike so he could have a run around the nearby seaside routes for a few hours while they did the work, but all they had was an road E bike, he was annoyed and sulked the owner cajouled him and eventaully he got it tuned to his size with his saddle and pedals and some instructions and off he went..i just don't remember what they gave him as the place worked with several marques but rest assured it would have been several thousand ... must have been 3PM before he was spotted back and came in with a huge smiling face, and leaving out the F's regaled them with his ride, and how the hell could i have been so wrong.. The guy would have been in same vein as mickf..never me never...will
Seems too far-fetched for me - a cyclist who actually changed his mind?!! !, :roll:
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

This topic has really given me the kick up the backside I needed. Not ridden for months due to a variety of reasons. Well in the minus temperature at the moment so will wait for it to move up a bit but you guys have definitely helped move my butt.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My "get up and go" has got up and gone.

I won't mention the word, but it's taking me some time to get going after it.
I was fine at first, but it's difficult now.

Planning on a ride on Wednesday ......... weather should be ok then. All I need is my "get up and go" to return.

There's supposed to be a Yellow Weather Warning today and the next couple of days too, but it's only drizzling with rain and hardly a breath of wind, despite the warnings. Fingers crossed, I'm out and riding on Wednesday. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Mick F wrote: 21 Jan 2024, 4:00pm My "get up and go" has got up and gone.

I won't mention the word, but it's taking me some time to get going after it.
I was fine at first, but it's difficult now.

Planning on a ride on Wednesday ......... weather should be ok then. All I need is my "get up and go" to return.

There's supposed to be a Yellow Weather Warning today and the next couple of days too, but it's only drizzling with rain and hardly a breath of wind, despite the warnings. Fingers crossed, I'm out and riding on Wednesday. :D
The thing is...
You need to 'get up and go' out on the bike to find where your 'go' went.
A little and often is the thing.
It's out there somewhere.
It won't have gone far.