First ride in four months

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: First ride in four months

Post by Mick F »

Hi guys.

Still feeling rubbish. I went to bed yesterday at 18:30, got up at midnight for a cuppa and was back asleep by 01:30. Up and about at 05:45.

I've done a few things this morning, including a gentle dog walk ......... it was the walk that was gentle!
Bike rides are out of the question at the moment. Fingers crossed I could be ok and active enough for a bike ride on Friday or the weekend.

If I'm not, I'll be making an appointment to see the doc.
Mick F. Cornwall
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Mick F wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 2:45pm Hi guys.

Still feeling rubbish. I went to bed yesterday at 18:30, got up at midnight for a cuppa and was back asleep by 01:30. Up and about at 05:45.

I've done a few things this morning, including a gentle dog walk ......... it was the walk that was gentle!
Bike rides are out of the question at the moment. Fingers crossed I could be ok and active enough for a bike ride on Friday or the weekend.

If I'm not, I'll be making an appointment to see the doc.
I think health first and cycling second is the order of the day. Too much too early can always backfire so get well soon.

Although I did come across this website the other day https://www.englishfords.co.uk/gallery_592777.html and I did think of you
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

CliveyT wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 4:17pm
I did come across this website the other day https://www.englishfords.co.uk/gallery_592777.html ...
Thanks for posting that, which I really enjoyed.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks for that from me too! :D
Sounds like another task.
Done a few of them locally over the years, and most were dry.

I've done almost every road in Cornwall, crossed over all the bridges over the A30 and A38, been to every CofE parish church too. 226 of them.
Been to the north-est, south-est, east-est and west-est points in Cornwall, and done all the coast roads too.
Visited every RM postbox in this parish (Calstock) and the three adjacent parishes too.

Yes, sounds like another task! :D :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good afternoon guys.
Feeling better today than I have for a couple of weeks.

Bike ride is not out of the question in the next couple of days ............ weather permitting. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Fine today, but happily tired now.
So is the dog!

I am well enough to have a good walkies with Sailor our Border Collie.
Mrs Mick F had stuff to do, and needed the car, so me and Sailor hitched a lift to the Tamar Trails Centre, and we had a 3.6mile walk and called in at the Rising Sun. He likes it there! :D

Attached is our route today.

I am considering a bike ride tomorrow but yet to work out where or how far. I fancy a nice ride ending up in Plymouth like last time, and getting the train home. No worries about steep hills and difficulties. No rush either.
Softly softly catchee monkee.

Today's Walk.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

thirdcrank wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 5:26pm
CliveyT wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 4:17pm
I did come across this website the other day https://www.englishfords.co.uk/gallery_592777.html ...
Thanks for posting that, which I really enjoyed.
You gotta get out more but maybe you can't afford to.
I am here. Where are you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

After my illness and then a rather tiring ride, I was feeling better so took the dog (as described above) on the three mile walk. The following day, I had relapsed and was too tired to do much.

Slowly, I improved and managed a twelve miler on Monday just gone. Stuff to do today, but I had sort of planned for a decent ride today, but it may have to wait a couple of days. Feeling back to normal now! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Had my first ride for a month on Monday and legs felt really pathetic when I started off on a short " introductory ride " to wake them up but on returning home I felt OK and didn't intend doing anything till my commute on Wednesday but Tuesday was so nice I did about 60 miles and surprisingly I felt good after and good on Wednesday too but gave Wednesday commute a by ball in case that wind was too dangerous -- this mornings commute was good if a little cold. Looking forward to the commute home as the weather is still nice.

Rest is as important as exercise which is fortunate cos I'm really good at resting.
I am here. Where are you?
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Today i had my first ride of the year (aside from a couple of 30 mins on the turbo when it was icy), and on the muddy roads I was ok for the first 30 miles (2 Hrs), and then I hit the headwind for the last 8 miles. Just as my legs went to jelly at 31 miles a rider on an upright emerged from a driveway a couple of hundred tards in front. I caught up with him and we had a chat for about a minute. I then said "I'd better press on as I need to get home before I run out of steam! Then an amusing thing happened.... About 600 yards further on as I hit an incline I glanced behind and couldn't see him..... as I went down the other side he emerged in front having chosen the flat residential road running parallel to my route. He had a wide grin and said 'I got you back' He then turned off still chuckling. All in good humour and we both had a laugh :lol: :lol: The rest of my ride confirmed how unfit I was and was the most undulating (of course) my legs there are mountains in Norfolk. The last 8 miles were between 10 an 12 MPH most of the time, and I stopped at the top of one hill to recover from cramp in both thighs. I must get fit!