Tour Plans for 2024

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
glucas

Re: Tour Plans for 2024

Post by glucas »

Jdsk wrote: 9 Jan 2024, 9:29pm
glucas wrote: 9 Jan 2024, 8:22pm
pal wrote: 9 Jan 2024, 8:14pm I cycled from Copenhagen to Oslo in (gulp) 2010 (my brain says it was just the other day, but my diary disagrees…). It was a really nice ride: not especially challenging, but very scenic, especially the stretch north of Gothenburg up to the border. From Copenhagen, I cycled up the Danish coast for a short way and took the ferry over to Helsinborg (rather than taking the train over to Malmo). And I also got a ferry up the last bit of the Oslofjord at the other end, to save having to cycle into Oslo (though I think Oslo’s got dramatically more cycle-friendly in recent years, so perhaps that wouldn’t be needed now). Anyway: v recommended!
Sounds just what I am after - nothing too arduous! Thanks for the feedback.
I recommend Dyrehaven and the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art on the way up.

Jonathan
Thanks for these tips Jonathan.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 9:23am
mattheus wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 9:03am
Is there a better site than Google Maps for seeing the layout of islands and ferry crossings?
EDIT: ideally for regions outside Scotland too!
For a modest fee you can access OS maps either through their own service or via cycle. travel, which gives all the ferry routes.

Screenshot_20240110_092215_Chrome.jpg

It used to be possible to get for free via bing maps but I think that's gone. There may be other options.
Bing maps has o/s maps on my tablet and pc. You have to zoom in to a suitable level of detail, but it's still there. I use samsung browser on my tablet, and chrome in my PC, so not particularly browser dependent.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Pendodave wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 10:38am
roubaixtuesday wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 9:23am
mattheus wrote: 10 Jan 2024, 9:03am
Is there a better site than Google Maps for seeing the layout of islands and ferry crossings?
EDIT: ideally for regions outside Scotland too!
For a modest fee you can access OS maps either through their own service or via cycle. travel, which gives all the ferry routes.

Screenshot_20240110_092215_Chrome.jpg

It used to be possible to get for free via bing maps but I think that's gone. There may be other options.
Bing maps has o/s maps on my tablet and pc. You have to zoom in to a suitable level of detail, but it's still there. I use samsung browser on my tablet, and chrome in my PC, so not particularly browser dependent.
Thanks, both;

the problem I find is not the LACK of ferry routes on the maps [because they are almost all shown by google, amongst others], but the NEED TO ZOOM IN. Makes it hard when you're looking at country-level view, planning the overall shape/strategy of a trip.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

CalMac interactive map:
https://calmac.co.uk/interactivemap

but based on Google Maps and doesn't seem to be working.

Jonathan
Paulc

Post by Paulc »

MrsHJ wrote: 8 Dec 2023, 6:39pm Lovely thread, nice to hear your hopes and plans for near or far.

I seem to have firmly decided my spring plans a few times only to move onto the next idea. I think I’m locked in now as some time constraints due to work have made me look for a shorter tour than my original plan (actually my second plan really) which was Saint malo to Nîmes with a few days to look around at the end and a leisurely train trip back.

My current plan is Zell am See (Austria) to Debrecen (Hungary) on EV14. I should be booking shortly. I have planned to train it but am currently leaning to flying.

I’m hoping for another tour in September and not sure what I’ll do for that one yet. I may dust off one of my many planned tours from the future ideas folder. https://cycle.travel/map/group/940 I tend to keep an eye out for interesting articles and ideas and then pop the outline route into the folder for future consideration.
I am eyeing up a similar route from your middish point, ending in the same area, but starting in Moselle area. The cycle.tour map groups are fun. Mildly curious about your reason for planning for a train at Langeac (is that a scenic one?) as we might be covering similar ground!?

Paul
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Paulc wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 1:48pm
Scenic

Hi Paul, it’s a combo of things. Firstly I allways fancied getting that train line again. I think I’ve done part of it 25 or more years ago and it was stunning. So I wanted to do it and it’s one of those lines that’s constantly under threat (it’s Called the cévenol). My original plan was to cycle down, stay 2/3 days then get the cévenol line back to Clermont.

Due to some work stuff I’m pretty time constrained but this is a route I’ve already got my brain around and won’t be stressful to plan whilst I’m taking on some more responsibilities at work. So that’s why I’m still doing it even though I don’t have time to stay as long or to get the cévenol train back. So as a compromise and following the advice of Angstrom in the comments in the via Allier I’m going to combine- saving some time, getting the best view of the route and missing out a big climb by taking the train from Langeac to Langogne. https://cycle.travel/route/via_allier . I still have a 95km day the next day with a decent chunk of climbing so I’m not taking it too easy! I’ve booked the ferry and some places to stay, waiting for the train bookings to be released.

This is the current version- i have done the Voie Bleue that is partly along the Moselle- is that your starting point?. https://cycle.travel/map/journey/536411
Paulc

Post by Paulc »

MrsHJ wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 8:15pm
Paulc wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 1:48pm
Scenic

Hi Paul, it’s a combo of things. Firstly I allways fancied getting that train line again. I think I’ve done part of it 25 or more years ago and it was stunning. So I wanted to do it and it’s one of those lines that’s constantly under threat (it’s Called the cévenol).

This is the current version- i have done the Voie Bleue that is partly along the Moselle- is that your starting point?. https://cycle.travel/map/journey/536411
We live in Scotland so the Newcastle ferry and then the train line down the Rhine is a good access route to a start point in France/Germany or Italy. We will likely jump off the train on route to Koblenz and then go through the Moselle area, Nancy ish, over the top of Dijon and south maybe towards the Tarn, maybe ending near Montpellier as we can get the train back to Strasburg and hence Amsterdam.

Might be a bit long as we also want to incorporate a 4/5 day stop to absorb local life a bit, so might take a train to jump some of the earlier area after Moselle/Nancy.

We like the wider Massif Central area and came north through it last year. Great day for landscape scenery cycling on the plateau from Mezihac NW then NE towards Chambon sur Lignon via "the Loire source".

The train sounds fun so will look into that. Will look into Voie Bleue. Thanks for those tips. We mainly enjoy the quiet french roads but the cycle paths are useful too.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Sounds fabulous- enjpy. I envy the sound of a bit more time.

I agree about French d roads- generally lovely and peaceful. So many cycle routes are now being plotted over the French countryside I find myself falling over them all the time- and they quite often use the d roads although they do go round the houses a bit and I tend to straighten then out- I can find that I’ve switched off and am just mindlessly following a route and have been taken around several unnecessary loops of countryside.

In planning on doing the Allier route my first 5 days have fallen into line with the veloscenic, then a day off any route down to the Loire and then a couple of days in the Loire route until the Allier. After I finish the Allier route I do have a couple of days freeform to get to Nîmes ( which of course is closeish to Montpellier).
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

DinoD wrote: 7 Jan 2024, 5:39pm I was planning to cycle to Friesland but with all the cost and travel to even get to Calais I've decided to stay in the country and starting off at Chester I'd cycle and camp the north and down the west coast of Wales. I've done Carmarthen back to Swindon a few years back so will choose an alternative.
+ 1. Staying in the country too, Chester may be a mid route town. Nothing definite yet, but thinking of a short 2-3 week early year ride, heading South on the Eastern side, heading West over towards Bristol, then North on the Western side. Wouldn't mind having all these small cities with notable features en route,purely by chance notable Cathedral, Abbey and University buildings en route, along with bit's of the Fen's, Downs, Lincolnshire Edge on the way. If the post industrial North West looks like it'll be too bleak, probably skip it via train up to Southern Cumbria.

Having had 28 yr's studying/working around the country, having experienced the superb landscape in so much of Southern Britain, a need to get out of the North is desperate :wink: .
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Back to Thailand for me. South of Bangkok.
Pretty and pretty flat, which suits my 70 year old knees. ( Or as I sometimes call them, 140 year old joints ).
Last May I cycled down to Trang and then some islands in the Andaman sea.
I returned to Bangkok via overnight train.
In October I think I'll train South to start the tour and have more time on the islands.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Dec 2023, 8:42pm We're still looking at the eastern Baltic. And very grateful to everyone who has shared experiences and expertise... getting there and back isn't easy.
But not this year. : - (

Now probably the Elbe.

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Mar 2024, 6:51pm
Now probably the Elbe.

Jonathan
We're sending Thoughts and Prayers, Jonathan

;-)
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

For the third year in a row I'm hoping to get abroad again. Hopefully third time lucky - didn't manage it the last couple of years... Maybe Belgium and The Netherlands, nothing too dramatic... As it's been 5 years since I've been abroad, and a few things have changed, I'm going to need to research travel insurance with an existing health condition, and any extra paperwork due to Brexit
Well, I really shouldn't have tempted fate... looks like I won't be going abroad this year due to family issues. Fortunately I have lots of tours I'd like to do in the UK! I have several half-planned on cycle.travel - not as organised as MrsHJ though... Currently trying to wangle a tour of Norfolk as my other great interest is wild plants and there are some great places to visit in the county. Plus, after 40-odd years of cycle touring, I've not actually done a tour in that beginner's touring county!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
thomacycle

Post by thomacycle »

I’m exploring Portugal in October by bike, but I’ll be renting a bike instead of bringing my own. With a pleasant climate and the sun shining throughout the year, Portugal offers ideal conditions for bike exploration. You can easily transition from hills to beaches, from city hustle to countryside tranquility within just a few kilometers. Cycling allows for convenient detours to reach places with truly breathtaking views :o

Some of the most popular regions in Portugal include Lisbon, The Algarve, Porto, and Madeira. After exploring these well-known regions, consider unwinding in lesser-crowded yet equally stunning destinations like Peniche, Monsanto, and Monsaraz. This article https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in ... guide-5600 has been incredibly helpful in planning, providing insights on popular destinations, festivals, food, seasons, and transportation.
Tezzerthebikerider

Post by Tezzerthebikerider »

I'm all set for my 2nd Tour , Glasgow on train then Arran ,Campbeltown, Oban , Mull ,Fort William .Final day Ben Nevis hopefully, means I'll carry Walking Boots all wk

Seeing the French stuff above makes me think my cycle to the Alpes should be next yr .
Ridden around Bourg DOisans a few times .

Terry