Tour Plans for 2024

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cowsham

Re: Tour Plans for 2024

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 11 Dec 2023, 10:48am
CliveyT wrote: 11 Dec 2023, 10:39am ...
Also my in-laws go on a lot of cruises and they're always hinting that we could join them but it's not really our sort of thing, so we're thinking of one of the bike and barge holidays so we can get out and go cycling every day and they can get an (inland) cruise stopping at interesting places every day. Only issue I can think of is they're obviously not designed around cruise based sightseeing so I'm worried they'll only dock towards the evening when everything is closing so won't actually see anything at the stops. Anyone been on one of these that can advise?
We've taken bikes on barge holidays, but mostly children's for use on the towpath.

And we've walked from Fort William to Inverness with a barge to sleep and eat on. Just wonderful.

Bikes are so much faster than hired barges that I don't think that you'll have any problems with arranging to meet at places of interest or adding your own.

Jonathan
This summer barge holiday but only with one folder bike to get the shopping on.
Screenshot_20231211-141337_Gallery.jpg
I am here. Where are you?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Slowroad wrote: 3 Dec 2023, 8:40pm But, in the meantime, I'd love to hear what plans other tourers are hatching during the winter months!
My wife and I have done a couple of wee off-road camping tours this year, just overnighters, and having really enjoyed those are looking to do more. The Markus Stitz Bikepacking Scotland book is providing plenty of inspiration, and as we're in Scotland anyway that gives us a good head-start on getting there.

There's also a plan to win the lottery and get a nice Rohloff Shand for the job, but I suspect it'll be on my existing hardtail MTB.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
ymfb

Post by ymfb »

I’m planning on riding with friends on a couple of U.K. road adventures

Round the Isle of Wight, it’s 40 miles to Lymington, 65 around the IoW and 40 back.

Way of the Roses West to East

A bonus trip would be North from Bude, maybe 150 miles in the slowest Lejog.
Two wheels preferred.
scragend

Post by scragend »

My plan for 2024 is to take the Danube route from Vienna to Budapest, overnighting in Bratislava, Gyor and Esztergom, with a few days in Budapest to finish.

My time is limited so I'm currently mulling over the options for getting there and back (without flying) as quickly as possible and at a reasonable cost.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

scragend wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 7:03pm My plan for 2024 is to take the Danube route from Vienna to Budapest, overnighting in Bratislava, Gyor and Esztergom, with a few days in Budapest to finish.

My time is limited so I'm currently mulling over the options for getting there and back (without flying) as quickly as possible and at a reasonable cost.
When four of us cycled from Passau to Vienna we drove there, and would probably do the same again now. How many are you?

There are more and more sleeper trains:
viewtopic.php?t=153006
https://www.seat61.com/news.htm

Jonathan
scragend

Post by scragend »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 7:08pm
scragend wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 7:03pm My plan for 2024 is to take the Danube route from Vienna to Budapest, overnighting in Bratislava, Gyor and Esztergom, with a few days in Budapest to finish.

When four of us cycled from Passau to Vienna we drove there, and would probably do the same again now. How many are you?

There are more and more sleeper trains:
viewtopic.php?t=153006
https://www.seat61.com/news.htm

Jonathan
Thanks. It will be just me.

I've been following the new sleepers with interest. Definitely a welcome development, and hopefully I can find a way to make it work.
Ayseven

Post by Ayseven »

LEJOG July/August. 14 days riding, 8 - 9 hours/day. No camping, no room sharing. Riding partners wanted. PM if interested.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Ayseven wrote: 17 Dec 2023, 10:54pm LEJOG July/August. 14 days riding, 8 - 9 hours/day. No camping, no room sharing. Riding partners wanted. PM if interested.
I'd love to be doing that -- sounds like my kind of speed too but have a busy year ahead.
I am here. Where are you?
Geoff Morgan

Post by Geoff Morgan »

I'm planning the Coast & Castles route, south to north in April. Then back across to France in the summer, Dieppe to St Malo on La Velomaritime, ish!!! Le Pont Normandie is giving me the heebie jeebies already :shock:
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Opinions vary, but I thought the Pont de Normandie was a delightful ride. Bit noisy, but perfectly safe, segregated bike lane, and a cracking view at the top.
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

Ferry Poole to Caen mid July then 6 weeks pedalling.
scragend

Post by scragend »

Booked last week to go to the Netherlands in early June with a friend. Staying just outside Utrecht and will do day rides from there - he wants to go to Arnhem, which is fine with me (I've been a few times but he hasn't). Then my previously-mentioned Danube trip solo in July hopefully.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Normandy is an easy and popular area, so a quick warning.

It's the 80th Anniversary of the D Day landings in 2024. Probably hard to find accommodation if passing through the area for the days around 6th June.

Generally, it's a good idea to do a bit of research on holidays (national and local), events, etc particularly if staying in hotels. I got caught out by Le Mans 24 hr once, even though it was 50 Kms away.
wheelyhappy99

Post by wheelyhappy99 »

My plan for 2024 is to take the Danube route from Vienna to Budapest, overnighting in Bratislava, Gyor and Esztergom, with a few days in Budapest to finish.
If you have time I'd suggest a coffee break at least in Hainburg, an almost complete mediaeval walled city on the border with the Ottoman empire. Also Szentendre, a few km west of Budapest is good for a bit of R&R after the cycling. Less busy, very pleasant riverside town. And chance to visit Uncle Viktor"s Skanzen Village open air museum. About 15 'villages' created by moving vernacular buildings from the various regions of Hungary. The biggest of its kind I've found and very interesting. Includes one from Transylvania emphasising Orban's belief that Hungary was unfairly done down by the post WW1 carve up of European empires.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

wheelyhappy99 wrote: 31 Dec 2023, 4:18pm ...
Also Szentendre, a few km west of Budapest is good for a bit of R&R after the cycling.
I haver a happy memory of eating fish there after finishing work in Visegrad.

: - )

Jonathan