Cycling Prog on TV this evening

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bassquake

Cycling Prog on TV this evening

Post by Bassquake »

Hello Fellow Cyclists
There is a programme on BBC1 this evening at ten thirty about a guy who cyled around the world. It looks like it could be very interesting for the Tourers amongst us. 18000 miles in 200 days.

enjoy

Bassquake
Cookster

Post by Cookster »

Thanks for the heads up on that, will definitely be recording that. It's part 1 of 4 :D

It's the guy that's in the Orange adverts on TV at the mo, Mark Beaumont.
cranky

Post by cranky »

"Story of Mark Beaumont's solo attempt to smash the record for cycling around the world."

He rode a Koga Myata with butterfly bars for this longest of tours, hmnnn, no drops :twisted:

Episode 1 of 4 tonight and the other episodes on Tue/Wed/Thu, catch it on iPlayer if you can't make their schedule.
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker
james_h

Post by james_h »

I was just about to post the same thing!

Highly recommended viewing - I managed to catch the last episode when it was shown online a few months back.
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Appears to have a shaky start having watched the first installment.

Did he road test the bike fully before the tour? I'm suspicious he didn't otherwise the problems with saddle height and spokes breaking on the rear should have shown up.

Bit of a drama queen pointing out the salt on his clothes. Yeah, so what. Get over it. As for drinking 8-10 litres of fluid per day, he'll find the human gut has big problems absorbing that much (anything above five litres is difficult).

What was all the fuss about 6000 calories about? Don't we all consume this amount when touring?

Perhaps I'm just a hard bitten tourist and not watching this from a Joe Public point of view but I feel he went into this a little naive...
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
juice

Post by juice »

I thought it was a good program, better than the "long way round" type of adventure where its obvious that they are travelling with massive back up.
I agree about the problems with the wheel, where some guy in poland has to sort it out, bad reflection on Koga but I guess the wheel had been modified. The mechanic in my LBS is polish, hmmm.

I did hear on the radio some time back of the world record for greatest distance cycled in a year, two guys did two hundred miles each day around Britain for a year in 1938, any one got more info on that?
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Wildduck wrote:What was all the fuss about 6000 calories about? Don't we all consume this amount when touring?.

i can drink that many :lol:
Tony

Post by Tony »

As said elsewhere, I met Mark in Norseman in WA last year during my ride out there and he came out with a great line when called by the BBC as we chatted:
"Can I call you back? I'm just about to cross the Nullarbor"

He came across as a relly nice guy, but obviously very focussed on his trip. If this programme is the same as was shown on BBC Scotland earlier this year (I have no TV, so couldn't watch it this time round; I used iPlayer last time) I believe all the hype about liquid and calories came from the TV people, "Gosh! Wow!" and I am reminded of inane comments during rock-climbing broadcasts: "Do you think you'll make it to the top of the mountain?" asked of someone doing an outcrop climb.
Hype for the non-cycling masses.
Cyclepath

Post by Cyclepath »

There is an interview in the current 'Cycle' with Mark Beaumont, a CTC member living in Fife.
Si

Post by Si »

I've seen the first two and really liked it. To me he comes across as a very humble guy who is just off doing what he "enjoys". Has he written a bok of his trip - I should be eager to have a read if he has.

But what is this 6000 calories = six Christmas dinners? He oughta come round our house at Christmas, a couple of sittings should see him right!
Tony

Post by Tony »

Indeed, Si. I said to him, when realising what he was doing, "You put a fat, unfit old man like me to shame!"
"You're obviously not unfit with with what you've just done"

I noticed he didn't negate the "fat", nor the "old". In hindsight, I've gone off him.
pigman

Post by pigman »

enjoyed it and he seems a nice, articulate guy. Agreed he seems naive with the technical bits. Turning the bike upside down to take a wheel out looks (to me) so inexperienced. In response to Juice, there's still some back up eg massage table. I'm not convinced all the camera work is his own. And bad editting where he RLJ'd in London.

but enjoying it immensely and far more than I could manage.

ps - what the hell is that saddle? Looks like a crashed concorde. No wonder he was getting blister.
cranky

Post by cranky »

pigman wrote:ps - what the hell is that saddle? Looks like a crashed concorde. No wonder he was getting blister.

It's a Selle Italia FLX
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker
zenzinnia

Post by zenzinnia »

Si wrote: Has he written a bok of his trip - I should be eager to have a read if he has.

I believe he is presently writting one - which I'm looking forward to. I hope he puts in lots of photos. I think some of the stills have been really interesting and one of my favorite bits of the TV prog was where he had no video and just an audio diary and a sequence of stills.
Si

Post by Si »

pigman wrote:enjoyed it and he seems a nice, articulate guy. Agreed he seems naive with the technical bits. Turning the bike upside down to take a wheel out looks (to me) so inexperienced.

I'd be inclined to ask a rolhoff user about this..some hub gears that I've had in the past have been a real pain to get off the bike compared to a derailer system. But never having had a rohloff I don't know if this is the case.