Access around Thirlmere reservoir

CathM

Re: Access around Thirlmere reservoir

Post by CathM »

Surely it's a pedestrian then? It's got twice as many legs as we have!
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

If horses can get through, what is to stop walkers and cyclists (apart from a sign)?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The sign alerts them to the existence of the TRO which will specify the penalties for contravening the TRO.
grufty

Post by grufty »

Will horses be required to wear hard hats and safety boots /hooves?
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I wonder if campaigners would be on stronger ground if they petioned for eg a properly enforced 20mph limit on the A591 during the period when vulnerable road users are prohibited from using the road where the works are planned.

(I don't bother with unexplained links to youtube etc)
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

thirdcrank wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 2:08pm
(I don't bother with unexplained links to youtube etc)
Inventor Dad Turns Bike Into A Horse
46,303 views May 14, 2018
Rodger Cleye uses his engineering skills to build unusual bicycles, like a horse bike and skeleton tandem bike. Building these mobile creations are a way for him to stay fit and have fun. He wants people to realize that there is a lot of joy and excitement in engineering.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm no expert on rights of way etc., but it seems to me that in what might be called the court of common sense, banning people from using a road where they are at danger from falling rocks is a "no brainer." The fact that the means the authorities have chosen - making a TRO - has the anomaly of not banning people riding horses doesn't change the underlying logic.

However, to divert people from one alleged danger to another ie using an A road without suitable safety provision seems impossible to justify. A suitable speed limit (with proper enforcement) seems appropriate and in that court of common sense, another "no brainer."

I fancy that if that course were to be adopted, pressure from road transport interests etc., would get things sorted much more quickly
grufty

Post by grufty »

thirdcrank wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 3:38pm I'm no expert on rights of way etc., but it seems to me that in what might be called the court of common sense, banning people from using a road where they are at danger from falling rocks is a "no brainer." The fact that the means the authorities have chosen - making a TRO - has the anomaly of not banning people riding horses doesn't change the underlying logic.

However, to divert people from one alleged danger to another ie using an A road without suitable safety provision seems impossible to justify. A suitable speed limit (with proper enforcement) seems appropriate and in that court of common sense, another "no brainer."

I fancy that if that course were to be adopted, pressure from road transport interests etc., would get things sorted much more quickly
In my objection to the local council, I did, perhaps a little tongue in cheek,suggest a 20mph limit for that stretch of road. After the road was closed as a consequence of storm Desmond, the speed limit was reduced from 50mph to 40mph.
Perhaps closing one carriageway for the use of vulnerable users , and operating a traffic light system on the other might be an option?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

grufty wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 3:58pm
In my objection to the local council, I did, perhaps a little tongue in cheek,suggest a 20mph limit for that stretch of road. After the road was closed as a consequence of storm Desmond, the speed limit was reduced from 50mph to 40mph.
Perhaps closing one carriageway for the use of vulnerable users , and operating a traffic light system on the other might be an option?
Perhaps the "tongue in cheek" bit was a fundamental error as it would allow the authorties to treat it as flippant, which is a pity because it saves them having to think about it.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

on Singletrack forum someone has posted about an alternative off-road option the runs to the east of the main road, more or less parallel to it, I have plotted it here on BRouter:
Thirlmere alt.jpg
CathM

Post by CathM »

Yes, I've ridden that track once, to avoid the main road. It's an enjoyable off-road track for recreational cycling if you're prepared, but hard work (for me, at least!) with a fully laden tourer. It's not a route you'd use for general travel.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

On a general campaigning point, IME mentioning any alternative routes will be shamelessly used by those sponsoring the closure as demonstrating that alternative provision is unnecessary
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

thirdcrank wrote: 22 Dec 2023, 3:18pm On a general campaigning point, IME mentioning any alternative routes will be shamelessly used by those sponsoring the closure as demonstrating that alternative provision is unnecessary
from what @CathM says above, it's not exactly a replacement to what has been lost, but simply a possibility avoiding the road that someone might find useful :wink: