When will Eurostar recommence carrying bikes?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mattheus

Re: Paris to London - Eurostar - Has anyone used it with their bike?

Post by mattheus »

Sparky56 wrote: 13 Jul 2023, 8:36am how about Eurostar Lille Europe / Calais Frethun to London ? Can that take fully assembled bikes? perhaps quicker than going all the way to Brussels???? or is that not any easier than going to brussels?
Nice idea! ... but ...

Google says the Brussels trains do stop at Lille (although that doesn't mean FOR CERTAIN that the despatchers will take bikes, sadly ...)

Problem is that Lille is only a few km closer than Brussels. I haven't checked, but I'd guess the train services to Lille are slower too.

But as I said, a nice idea!
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

There is of course the tunnel cycle shuttle service which I think drops you off in Ashford (or used to).
The ter service from Paris to Calais is ok - takes a while of course.
Around 2015 I was able to book a bike space on a TGV to Lille.
Took the ter from Lille Flanders to Calais - that was a bit quicker than the ter Paris to Calais (which didn't seem to be available at the time)
All in all it's a long day getting from Paris to London.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

ANTONISH wrote: 13 Jul 2023, 9:18am
Assuming this is all about bike rides, I gather the route from Paris to Dieppe is a very nice day out! And of course it's easy to get from Dieppe to Londinium in well under a day - you can even be time efficient and sleep on the night crossing, meaning lovely empty roads when you get to the English South Coast :)

[I've ridden about the top 15 miles - very nice.]
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Assuming this is all about bike rides, I gather the route from Paris to Dieppe is a very nice day out! And of course it's easy to get from Dieppe to Londinium in well under a day - you can even be time efficient and sleep on the night crossing, meaning lovely empty roads when you get to the English South Coast :)

ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

mattheus wrote: 13 Jul 2023, 10:03am

Not sure riding that distance was what the OP wanted.
One can get a train from Paris to Dieppe - you may have to change in Rouen.
As for the "lovely empty roads" I doubt that the roads will be anywhere near empty by the time you get to Lewes.
Getting bikes on a train from Newhaven to London is a bit tricky - well it was the last time I considered it - it seemed to require quite a few changes.
it was a lot easier in 1959 when I first used that crossing.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

ANTONISH wrote: 13 Jul 2023, 11:26am As for the "lovely empty roads" I doubt that the roads will be anywhere near empty by the time you get to Lewes.
Getting bikes on a train from Newhaven to London is a bit tricky - well it was the last time I considered it - it seemed to require quite a few changes.
it was a lot easier in 1959 when I first used that crossing.
In June I rode over to Brighton*, I believe fast trains from there to London are good with bikes. (I think this improved massively when Crosslink arrived - different trains?) Very quiet roads. Lewes is similar distance to Brighton, n'est-ce-pas?

I haven't ridden from the South Coast all the way into London since about 1990, so probably shouldn't comment, but bear in mind you disembark at Newhaven 0500, so you could knock out a fair few miles before rush-hour.

*and thence to Shoreham to join the Downs Link up to Guildford, which was lovely!
scragend

Post by scragend »

ANTONISH wrote: 13 Jul 2023, 9:18am There is of course the tunnel cycle shuttle service which I think drops you off in Ashford (or used to).
It's the Holiday Inn Express in Folkestone now, and only once a day in each direction.

Slightly more convenient going from France to UK rather than the other way round. Pick up from Coquelles is at 12.30, whereas the pickup from Folkestone is at 08.00, which effectively means you have to have stayed at or near the Holiday Inn the night before (unless you live locally).

I do fancy trying it one day but it's impractical for me on the outward leg. Maybe coming back.
scragend

Re: When will Eurostar recommence carrying bikes?

Post by scragend »

This isn't new news in the context of this thread, but this article was in the Observer at the weekend (I saw it on FB just now). Maybe you've already seen it, but if not...

eurostar_observer.png
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

scragend wrote: 16 Aug 2023, 11:07am This isn't new news in the context of this thread, but this article was in the Observer at the weekend (I saw it on FB just now). Maybe you've already seen it, but if not...

eurostar_observer.png
As the columnist says, that is indeed farcical.

But excellent work finding the information that WAS available.[are all Eurostar tickets non-refundable?]

Thanks scragend, I shall proceed with caution now if planning a Brussels trip ... : -/
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattheus wrote: 16 Aug 2023, 11:41amare all Eurostar tickets non-refundable?
https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-route ... .htm#fares implies the expensive business class fares are refundable. Others can have their dates changed for a £40 fee.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

scragend wrote: 16 Aug 2023, 11:07am This isn't new news in the context of this thread, but this article was in the Observer at the weekend (I saw it on FB just now). Maybe you've already seen it, but if not...

eurostar_observer.png
Thanks.

I've told The Man in Seat 61.

Jonathan
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

Jdsk wrote: 16 Aug 2023, 12:03pm
Thanks.

I've told The Man in Seat 61.

Jonathan
Good!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Evolyn: a competitor service from 2025:
viewtopic.php?p=1801447#p1801447

Jonathan
Andrew-l

Post by Andrew-l »

I've been re-reading all the Eurostar info, and while a Box wouldn't work for me, I do have my CTC plastic bag. Now they're mentioning bags, I wonder if these would be accepted.

Anyone tried it with the clear plastic CTC bags?
Will

Post by Will »

The Amsterdam Eurostar was supposed to be getting suspended next year as a result of the infrastructure upgrades at Amsterdam Centraal. It is being reported that a possible solution has been found that could limit the disruption to the service:

https://www.dutchnews.nl/2023/10/soluti ... -services/

An announcement is expected at the end of the month. Lets just hope that the solution will allow them to carry bikes.

Will