convert time trial bike to road

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
bikerider

convert time trial bike to road

Post by bikerider »

I have a Cervelo P2 time trial bike no longer in use I am considering swapping the handlebars and then use for road bike time trials. I can see no restrictions on frame type in the rules but I don't want to convert if its something that would be frowned upon by others.
What do you think.
cycleruk

Re: convert time trial bike to road

Post by cycleruk »

An article in CW talks about road bike time trials.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/road ... ed-machine

It mentions you can't use tri-bars or disc wheels. Obviously you will need to sort out gear changers & brakes.
You could of course just go fixed wheel. :)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

My P2 is less visually aero than many a newer road bike. Unless there are written rules regarding frame then do what you like.
The whole thing is a farce from CTT. Go to any club evening TT and there will be as many or more road bikes than TT bikes. And this is how people get in TTs. Mine is sometimes the only one there, ridden by a fat 60 year old who is usually last. The idea of keeping the price down is twaddle with 5 grand road bikes being ridden against my £350 P2.
At a higher level people will want a fast time so will buy a TT bike
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

There is a resurgence in road bike time trialling. In our evening 10’s it used to just the odd rider who would ride a road bike, but this year it’s half and half TT and road bikes. There’s one guy who TT’s on an old Dawes Galaxy, complete with Schwalbe Marathon tyres. Yes, you can spend £5k+ on an aero road bike, but you can just as easily turn up on a £300 secondhand Specialized Allez (which is what I have) and not be at a signifanct disadvantage. I think at least for club 10’s, people aren’t just hunting for a fast time, as often the Club TT course itself is not that fast - ours could be described as rolling/sporting/lumpy and certainly is not that fast, though the course record is a 19.09 (by a Commonwealth Games rider).
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com