European trains - sleeper service

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Will

Re: European trains - sleeper service

Post by Will »

pal wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 8:19pm Advert for the new ÖBB Nightjet rolling stock, with a blink-and-you’ll-miss it glimpse of the bike storage space: https://twitter.com/unsereoebb/status/1 ... ob3qE-8uBA

They start coming into service this December, says the man in seat 61.
From the ÖBB website:

Will
pal

Post by pal »

Ah: that's a better pic -- thanks! I'm not super-convinced by this set up, I have to say, though I know there are accessibility reasons for not sticking with the hanging hooks which they have on (some of) their current services. Hopefully there's a ramp (or at least a wheel channel), not a set of stairs, out of shot at the back... And of course any bike storage is better than none!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Night train extended to link Brussels and Amsterdam to Prague":
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... ith-prague

From 25 March 2024.

Jonathan

PS: "European Sleeper is also planning a winter night train between Amsterdam and the French Alps, as well as an EU-backed Amsterdam-Barcelona service launching in 2025. More sleeping cars should increase comfort and the travel experience, it said."
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

The timetable for ÖBB's nightjet service from Paris to Berlin (and vice versa, from 11 December, three times a week) is now up on the Nightjet website https://www.nightjet.com/. Unfortunately they're still failing to live up to the bicycle-friendliness of the old CNL routes they replace, and bikes can't be taken unless packed up on the Berlin-Paris route.

(For a list of routes they do take bikes on see here: https://www.nightjet.com/en/angebote/fahrradmitnahme - basically just between Austria, Germany and Switzerland, albeit not the route from Berlin to Vienna that goes via Poland - if that's even running still).

A real shame - I was looking forward to this route being reopened to sleeper trains, but since both Eurostar and Nightjet are both pernickity when it comes to bikes this new-old route isn't much use to me :(
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I have just read a piece by Paul Theroux on the Orient Express, the Stamboul train, the Pullman service to Istanbul.
Long dead, but so romantic. Naunton and Wayne in The Lady Vanishes.
Did it carry bikes I wonder. Greene never mentioned them.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

New nightjet from Vienna to Hamburg. Sharing a photo from the man at seat 61 as his website isn’t coping with user numbers at the moment. Have a look when it’s calmed down a bit! https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-route ... ration.htm

Looks very interesting sleeping wise. Might feel a bit coffin like? Or is that just cosy?
Attachments
IMG_1675.jpeg
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’m curious- has anyone figured out a route from Brussels Zuid ie the Eurostar station to Amsterdam in time to catch the nightjet sleeper to zurich? I don’t think I’d get to Brussels before 3pm and at the moment I can’t see any easy options to get the train to Amsterdam other than quite late in the evening (too late for the night train departure at 8:28). I already have different plan that works but I was checking for affordable alternatives and this is a possible, I think the easier option might be to stay in Brussels and get the Berlin sleeper.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

MrsHJ wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 10:15pm I’m curious- has anyone figured out a route from Brussels Zuid ie the Eurostar station to Amsterdam in time to catch the nightjet sleeper to zurich? I don’t think I’d get to Brussels before 3pm and at the moment I can’t see any easy options to get the train to Amsterdam other than quite late in the evening (too late for the night train departure at 8:28). I already have different plan that works but I was checking for affordable alternatives and this is a possible, I think the easier option might be to stay in Brussels and get the Berlin sleeper.
How are you getting to Brussels?
Will

Post by Will »

MrsHJ wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 10:15pm I’m curious- has anyone figured out a route from Brussels Zuid ie the Eurostar station to Amsterdam in time to catch the nightjet sleeper to zurich? I don’t think I’d get to Brussels before 3pm and at the moment I can’t see any easy options to get the train to Amsterdam other than quite late in the evening (too late for the night train departure at 8:28). I already have different plan that works but I was checking for affordable alternatives and this is a possible, I think the easier option might be to stay in Brussels and get the Berlin sleeper.
There is a hourly Inter City service between Brussels and Amsterdam, but it is not showing up in searches if you put in a date from this years timetable (which ends mid December). The 2024 timetable show a service leaving Brussels-Zuid at 15:45 (arriving A'dam at 18:32, and another at 16:45 (arriving A'dam at 19:32). When are you intending to travel?

Will
Will

Post by Will »

Will wrote: 27 Oct 2023, 9:00am
There is a hourly Inter City service between Brussels and Amsterdam, but it is not showing up in searches if you put in a date from this years timetable (which ends mid December). The 2024 timetable show a service leaving Brussels-Zuid at 15:45 (arriving A'dam at 18:32, and another at 16:45 (arriving A'dam at 19:32). When are you intending to travel?

Will
The Brussels Zuid-Amsterdam Centraal Inter City service is not showing up in searches on the DB Bahn website, but it is showing on the NS International Website: https://www.nsinternational.com/

Will
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

ANTONISH wrote: 27 Oct 2023, 8:51am
How are you getting to Brussels?
If I do the Brussels option it is with Eurostar and intact bike.

Will - thank you for your replies- that makes sense, I was surprised. I’m looking at next May/June but researching using the current schedule. I’d also have to get to grips with booking the night jet to Zurich and adding on my bike via the separate ?IC booking route.
Will

Post by Will »

MrsHJ wrote: 27 Oct 2023, 1:48pm If I do the Brussels option it is with Eurostar and intact bike.
As I mentioned on the "When will Eurostar recommence carrying bikes?" thread:
Will wrote: 15 Oct 2023, 10:26am The Amsterdam Eurostar was supposed to be getting suspended next year as a result of the infrastructure upgrades at Amsterdam Centraal. It is being reported that a possible solution has been found that could limit the disruption to the service:

https://www.dutchnews.nl/2023/10/soluti ... -services/

An announcement is expected at the end of the month. Lets just hope that the solution will allow them to carry bikes.
You may find that the "solution" will allow Eurostar to carry bikes on the Amsterdam service next year.

Will
Will

Post by Will »

Youtube video on travelling on the new NightJet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnB_vSVkX3k&t=1324s

Will
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Europe’s geography ‘kind of reshaped’ as Paris-Berlin night train returns":
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023 ... in-returns

Jonathan

Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 16.49.48.png
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

Jdsk wrote: 9 Dec 2023, 4:50pm Paris-Berlin night train returns
Sadly, at least according to the Deutsche Bahn website, this night train doesn't take assembled bikes. So you'll have to bag your best friend up if you want to sleep your way from Paris to Berlin or back again :(