Charging on tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Sweep

Re: Charging on tour

Post by Sweep »

Psamathe wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 1:14pm

If you are using the phone more as a small internet computer and don't want to receive calls (under even emergency circumstances) using "Airplane" mode can save a fair amount of power. If you want to make an occasional call, use airplane mode and enable GSM only when you want to make a call or use GSM data so it's airplane majority of each day.

Ian
or for emergency calls and texts in and out just carry as well an old fashioned dumb phone as well - can stay on all the time - small phones and the batteries last ages even when left on continuously day and night.
Sweep
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Psamathe wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 1:14pm
My understanding is that over your intended duration the size of the phone batteries is only relevant as a "buffer" but to keep working you need to have enough charge in to match the power used.
Yes, I only mentioned it in the context that we'll be able to go all day without needing frequent small-and-often top ups, if we don't follow the SON route.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Jdsk, to answer your question the voltage is regulated to the USB standard voltage 5v?
I use it to charge a battery pack and it works fine. Never tried charging my phone but it's only a basic old smartphone.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

I did install a hub dynamo on my last bike.

It's great for powering lights, which don't need much to smooth the voltage at any frequency and can handle drops in current.

But for modern electronics, it required a lot more capable filtering, capacitor smoothing and hardware to negotiate USB power transfer. The Light I had with built in USB output was not up to much.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 9:09pm
Greystoke wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 6:58pm Go to poundland and buy a car fag lighter usb charger, wire -ve (outer sprung parts) to dynamo frame connection and centre sprung pin to dynamo +
It'll then charge a usb battery pack.
Thats what i use
That's interesting. Have you ever measured the output voltage of the USB charger in real-world operation?
Greystoke wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 3:57pm Jdsk, to answer your question the voltage is regulated to the USB standard voltage 5v?
I use it to charge a battery pack and it works fine. Never tried charging my phone but it's only a basic old smartphone.
Thanks.

I was wondering whether how well the adapter can adhere to that with the varying input from a bike dynamo rather than what's provided by a car's electrical system.

Jonathan
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

A car puts out 12.8-13.7v and a bike dynamo can easily put out 12v....I run 2 haolgen lights in series at 12v.
That cheap USB converter puts out a regulated voltage which I think is 5v suitable for USB charging.
Best bit is the price, mine was a pound or thereabouts from poundland. I think there's a video on YouTube where hippy someone or other cycle tourist has done the same.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Greystoke wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 5:15pm A car puts out 12.8-13.7v and a bike dynamo can easily put out 12v....I run 2 haolgen lights in series at 12v.
That cheap USB converter puts out a regulated voltage which I think is 5v suitable for USB charging.
The car system is about that and it's DC. AIUI a typical modern hub dynamo is around 6V AC. That's why i'd like to see how the adaptor performs.

But it sounds as if it's charging OK.

Jonathan
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 5:30pm But it sounds as if it's charging OK.
It may be trickle charging, or charging sporadically, but without USB negotiation it won't ramp up the current.

That's why many put a battery pack in the way.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Has anyone here tried the Velocharger?
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m12b0s208p3 ... Hub-Dynamo
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’m impressed by this new generation of solar chargers- I wasn’t aware of developments. Filed away in case I have need of one in the future.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Given the usage of the OP, I think I would suggest keep it simple.

A couple of decent fast chargers that you can use (and probably already have) when having a cafe or lunch stop, or shopping or your morning wash and teeth clean, etc, etc, should be adequate. Even 20 mins gives quite a boost.

If you look you will start to see power points in lots of places, eg in the lobby of a supermarket. One shops, the other one charges and watches the bikes .

For extra cover you could buy a power pack for back up and charging overnight eg in toilet block.

I wouldn't bother with the hassle of trying to plug into the dynamo, not to mention possible expense. (Note, I said given your usage, etc.)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 9:23am
pjclinch wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 9:14am Our MO for the planned tour is cycle-camping on formal sites in Belgium and N France/Brittany, smartphones used as internet provision so planning, admin, cartography kind of stuff. We're not making movies or writing blogs or anything whizzy. Our phones have big batteries (5K MaH) and we'll generally only need one at a time. Sometime between two and three weeks. Also topping up Kindles for another not-huge requirement.

Mainly thinking of using the SONs as we've already got them and they'll be turning for a few hours most days, but don't anticipate needing lights much.
Our biggest consumption is by the Garmin satnav used in turn-by-turn mode and you're not doing that.

With two USB battery packs and staying at sites with mains electricity I suspect that you won't need to charge from either the dynamos or the sun.
simonhill wrote: 22 Feb 2022, 7:42am Given the usage of the OP, I think I would suggest keep it simple.

A couple of decent fast chargers that you can use (and probably already have) when having a cafe or lunch stop, or shopping or your morning wash and teeth clean, etc, etc, should be adequate. Even 20 mins gives quite a boost.

If you look you will start to see power points in lots of places, eg in the lobby of a supermarket. One shops, the other one charges and watches the bikes .

For extra cover you could buy a power pack for back up and charging overnight eg in toilet block.

I wouldn't bother with the hassle of trying to plug into the dynamo, not to mention possible expense. (Note, I said given your usage, etc.)
Without the USB battery pack that's even leaner than what I came up with. And lighter and has fewer points of failure.

I've never tried it because of the way that I use the satnav.

There are lots of sockets around the place. But I'd be concerned about the devices being nicked.

Other than proprietary charging standards the fastest charging will be from USB chargers rated at 2.1 A. Some with more than one output socket will only provide this on one of them.

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I agree about the risk of leaving, but there are 2 of them. Even a cafe stop, one can always be watching.

I just did a little test on my phone with standard issue charger - not fast. It went from 62% to 81% in 20 mins. - pretty much a cafe stop.

Edit: My only concern would be that they use their phones a lot more than anticipated.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZvkSPwUHmI[/youtube]

One of the Cycle Touring (Virtual) Festival talks over the weekend might be of interest. It is quite long and is really an ad for the pedalcell dynamo system but it does set out the pros and cons of the other ways of keeping things charged on tour. I was interested in the latest thinking on powerbanks and solar charging etc.all with a slant towards the pedalcell of course. I think it is in order for me to share this as it was free but with a suggested donation towards the costs of the festival