Charging on tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jdsk

Re: Charging on tour

Post by Jdsk »

brianleach wrote: 22 Feb 2022, 8:56am [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZvkSPwUHmI[/youtube]
Inline YouTube videos are a neat feature of this forum.

The syntax is:

Screenshot 2022-02-22 at 09.12.33.png

... not the whole URL. Giving:

Jonathan
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Thanks Jonathan.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for the heads-up.

It's great to have a choice of solutions.

Jonathan
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Just an ongoing thanks to everyone contributing here. Looks like we may not bother wiring in the SONs but the option remains and all the extra info is really great :-)

Ta! Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

simonhill wrote: 22 Feb 2022, 8:52am I agree about the risk of leaving, but there are 2 of them. Even a cafe stop, one can always be watching.

I just did a little test on my phone with standard issue charger - not fast. It went from 62% to 81% in 20 mins. - pretty much a cafe stop.
Most modern smartphones have a smart charging capability but even without that, the quickest charge is from low battery. The bigger the differential between the power source and the battery, the faster the charge. If you have a phone at 10% battery, it'll be up at 40% in no time. If it's already at 80%, it may only get to 85% in the same amount of time.

Just needs a routine - get to cafe, plug everything in, THEN go and order! If you're in a cafe with wall sockets, use those in preference to draining the powerbank. I've got a 3-pin plug adapter which allows multiple USB outputs - something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerPor ... 142&sr=8-8

Running the phone on Airplane Mode will mean the battery will last a couple of days and you can still access offline maps
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

pjclinch wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 8:28pm Thanks for the above everyone, will dig further...in the meantime, any comments on the B&M e-Werk, which seems to be their offering at present?

Ta, Pete.
I'd look elsewhere, I'm certainly not impressed with mine. Maybe the B&M that has an integrated cache battery is ok.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

gregoryoftours wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 11:39pm
pjclinch wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 8:28pm Thanks for the above everyone, will dig further...in the meantime, any comments on the B&M e-Werk, which seems to be their offering at present?
I'd look elsewhere, I'm certainly not impressed with mine. Maybe the B&M that has an integrated cache battery is ok.
That's a shame, but good to know...
Ta, Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

One other point. How much will you be using your smartphones?

Do your phone contracts have roaming, or will you buy some for the trip. Alternatively a local SIM. ??

If none of these then you will be limited to WiFi when you can grab it. This may mean you don't actually use your phones very much.

Certainly something to throw into the calculation.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I've probably posted this elsewhere (possibly in one of the threads that Vorpal linked to). . .

I have a Shimano DH-3N72 hub and a Cycle2Charge USB charger fitted onto the top of the steerer. I carry two powerbanks and top them up from a mains supply wherever it is convenient - this gives me a good sized reservoir of power. Otherwise I will top one up with the Cycle2Charge (with the lights turned off). I charge devices from the powerbanks and not directly from the charger. This way I don't have to deal with any concerns about varying power outputs, pass-through charging and its associated punishment of powerbanks.

I have settled on using Osmand on my phone for navigation but not for typical sat-nav style but instead I upload my track and occasionally take the phone out of my pocket/handlebar bag for reference - I can see clearly where I am in relation to the track line (though once when forced to detour to another destination for a full day's cycling, I did let Osmand auto-plot the route). If I'm concerned about power reserves and phone battery levels, I can plug it into a powerbank whilst riding, I can also put the phone into airplane mode so that apps are not constantly trying to connect where there is no decent data signal - Osmand will still work. I also use a small USB music player/fm radio and AA Eneloops for other devices (torches and shaver) and have a USB charger for them.

I find that I usually have plenty of reserve power to not worry unduly and that the dynamo top-ups are more about peace of mind than necessity.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 5:30pma typical modern hub dynamo is around 6V
Not if you reduce the load below that of the lamp it's designed to work with it isn't.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Feb 2022, 9:14am The syntax is:
Screenshot 2022-02-22 at 09.12.33.png
... not the whole URL.
As an easier alternative to a screenshot, you can break the opening tag by inserting an open/close bold or italic tag pair into the opening "youtube" tag.
Put the cursor into the youtube tag, and click the "bold" button, and what you get is [you[b][/b]tube]XZvkSPwUHmI[/youtube], which displays when posted as [youtube]XZvkSPwUHmI[/youtube]
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Ta, Pete.
what's your problem with it?
Mine seems to charge a powerbank OK.
The cache battery thing is a separate issue - only really needed I think if you want to run sensitive electronics direct from dynamo power.
Sweep
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Most of this years Xiaomi phones will do two days heavy use between charges. They probably means four days light use I would utilise on tour. For me that's plenty.

I dont bother with any computer or GPS on tour and rely solely on good old fashioned paper maps. As for tablets etc... No thanks, I'm on my holidays :lol:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

andrew_s wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 10:02pm As an easier alternative to a screenshot, you can break the opening tag by inserting an open/close bold or italic tag pair into the opening "youtube" tag.
Put the cursor into the youtube tag, and click the "bold" button, and what you get is [you[b][/b]tube]XZvkSPwUHmI[/youtube], which displays when posted as [youtube]XZvkSPwUHmI[/youtube]
Thanks. I'll try that.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Which model is that, please?

Jonathan