Take These (Supply) Chains from My Heart

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Paulatic

Re: Take These (Supply) Chains from My Heart

Post by Paulatic »

Paulatic wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 1:47pm I wonder what or who is really stirring those Welsh farmers up?
I’ve browsed the proposed Welsh Sustainable Farming Scheme and the intentions look laudable. I can’t see how any of it can be onerous and like the EU LFA scheme, which we all used to our benefit, there should be easy ways to fulfill the criteria.
I hate agreeing with this chap but I do this time.
IMG_0238.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

I’ve browsed the proposed Welsh Sustainable Farming Scheme

Hopefully no Chlorinated chicken or hormones allowed.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Paulatic wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 1:38pm
Paulatic wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 1:47pm I wonder what or who is really stirring those Welsh farmers up?
I’ve browsed the proposed Welsh Sustainable Farming Scheme and the intentions look laudable. I can’t see how any of it can be onerous and like the EU LFA scheme, which we all used to our benefit, there should be easy ways to fulfill the criteria.
I hate agreeing with this chap but I do this time.
IMG_0238.jpeg
I expect to see my neighbour next week, I will ask him about it and tell you what he says.
That is, where he believes the tree planting grants are at odds with his overall interests.

I will also say there has already been a great deal of money and effort wasted in various tree schemes in my time in Wales.
Almost exclusively through not properly excluding sheep, though fires (deliberate) have taken some toll.
A toll on trees that I helped to plant on various holdings( not my own).
The relevant authorities have proved ineffectual in doing anything about such abuses.
I have tried in the past to do something about such waste of money and effort to little avail.
EU money it would seem was manna from on high without responsibility!!
Perhaps the farmers now sense there will be stricter approach from the Welsh purse? Maybe?

I have achieved my own small personal successes in the tree cover and regeneration "department" without any subsidy.
Just lots of time and idealism.

I remain however against planting on the better grazings or hay fields if that be the case.
I will clarify what the men on the ground say when chance allows.
I am not trying to mislead in any way.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Ready meals

"Ready meal king Charlie Bigham: ‘I haven’t seen a single benefit from Brexit yet’":
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... brexit-yet

It's alway interesting to hear from people who've made something work.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 10:11pm [
Perhaps the farmers now sense there will be stricter approach from the Welsh purse? Maybe?
Isn’t the Welsh purse controlled by Westminster?
This whole campaign is to shift blame to the Welsh government the Tories hate devolved parliaments and will stop at nothing to bring them down. Gareth Jones looks pretty pally with Rishi to me.

You highlight what is wrong with all these incentives for change with grants. They all run out of steam and policing and the policing can depend on how pally you are with the policeman. Looking back I can’t see what was wrong with marketing boards and guaranteed payments or maybe New Zealand had the right idea.

I managed over 4500 acre of hill ground finding 450acre of it to plant would have been a pleasure. A lot of it got planting approval in the late seventies and 240 acres were planted with MMBS ( more miles bloody spruce) Whilst providing some tax relief along the years it was recently harvested and not without considerable expense and difficulty.

E2E info
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

It seems that Germany and Italy are objecting to EU legislation that would audit forced labour and environmental damage within supply chains

The legislation had already been agreed by the European Parliament, but a minority German political party has stopped it

Germany has been involved in blocking three lots of EU legislation on the environment: cars, lorries and now supply chains and it appears to be the minority Free Democratic Party (Freie Demokratische Partei, which is part of the ruling coalition in Germany) blocking business legislation
https://www.politico.eu/article/germany ... iolations/
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 11:54am Food

"'Not for EU' labels hurt investment and food exports, warns FDF boss":
https://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Artic ... =copyright
"Food trade bodies consider legal action over post-Brexit ‘not for EU’ labelling":
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -labelling

Jonathan
toontra

Post by toontra »

Just been quoted £100 postage for a tiny £6 part from a German retailer (I was actually surprised they delivered to the UK at all, which is why I went through to the checkout stage).
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Paulatic wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 1:25pm
PDQ Mobile wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 10:11pm [
Isn’t the Welsh purse controlled by Westminster?
This whole campaign is to shift blame to the Welsh government the Tories hate devolved parliaments and will stop at nothing to bring them down. Gareth Jones looks pretty pally with Rishi to me.

You highlight what is wrong with all these incentives for change with grants. They all run out of steam and policing and the policing can depend on how pally you are with the policeman. Looking back I can’t see what was wrong with marketing boards and guaranteed payments or maybe New Zealand had the right idea.

I managed over 4500 acre of hill ground finding 450acre of it to plant would have been a pleasure. A lot of it got planting approval in the late seventies and 240 acres were planted with MMBS ( more miles bloody spruce) Whilst providing some tax relief along the years it was recently harvested and not without considerable expense and difficulty.
Paulatic,
((No idea about how much is controlled by Westminster, though Sunak has been saying he "has the back" of Welsh farmers in another context. (Which is about political point scoring and little else))

Anyway, I thought the below article relevant/ interesting and if you hadn't seen it that you might too.

The situation described sounds so similar to a great deal of Meirionnydd woodland, though some stands here are larger both in size of tree and area.

I wish Mr Shrubsole (what's in a name!) every success in his quest.
He has a name and publicity on his side, helpful.

There are many "unique and special" places here too.
One notes the spokesman for Natural England (!?) seems committed to carry on grazing.
I personally wonder about this.

There are woods here owned by the Woodland Trust (!) that continue to be quite heavily grazed, regeneration is almost nonexistent (both acorns and any saplings are eaten) and some are SSI,s.
There are rare bryophytes etc apparently.

I think a twenty year exclusion of sheep would be of more benefit, otherwise the woodland is eventually doomed.

Given the above though, it is my view that properly returning most of the existing and depleted woodland to ungrazed environments would be almost as good as new plantings, though I would dearly like to see some new stands of deciduous, especially on Bracken infested land, there's plenty of it!

Why do you think Natural England, the CCW (or whatever they now call it!), and the local National Parks Authorities have been so reluctant to police grazing by sheep, even where they themselves have funded fencing etc?
(Well actually some of it was them spending EU money :roll:)

(I have yet to question my neighbour on his stance about the 10%, though I have seen him. He is in the middle of TB testing and it's a worrying time.
But I will never fear.)

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ampaigners
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 1 Mar 2024, 2:07pm [. He is in the middle of TB testing and it's a worrying time.
B
TB appears to be rife in Wales getting worse year after year and nothing effective has been done in all these years.
Here in Scotland we achieved Bovine TB free status in 2009. Whether it’s still the case I’m not sure. It’ll be a miracle as there are so many farmers doing dodgy ( ear tags swapped) movements. We’ve also more badgers than I’ve ever witnessed in my life before. I was 22 before I saw my first badger now I could see one every 22hours not years!

I’m a stones throw away from Carrifran Wildwood https://bordersforesttrust.org/wild-heart you’ll love what they are doing. All sheep off and controversially the wild goats too. Galla and Gameshope are mentioned in that link. I’ve gathered those places around 40 years ago and know how bleak they were. I can see a huge change in them in just a few years.

E2E info
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

It's very interesting.
I can only see the Wikipedia page as my old device won't open your link.
More power to your mattock!

Even has a Welsh name!
A Raven here is "Cigfran" - roughly "Meat Crow"

TB not ever been a problem locally but it is getting closer.
The place is quite well populated with Badgers- always has been.
They have eaten my carrots on occasion. :evil:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sausages

"Where are my favourite sausages?":
https://www.scandikitchen.co.uk/sausages/

Emphasis again on the disproportionate problems for small businesses.

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

We dont need foreign sausages and they dont need ours...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

al_yrpal wrote: 4 Mar 2024, 3:16pm We dont need foreign sausages and they dont need ours...

Al
Poe's law applies

Poe's law is an adage of Internet culture which says that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, any parodic or sarcastic expression of extreme views can be mistaken by some readers for a sincere expression of those views.

I've genuinely no idea if your post is a joke or serious!
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

We dont need foreign sausages and they dont need ours...
Absolutely Al, German sausages are wurst

Poe's law??
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~