Trailers!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
chrisoleary

Trailers!

Post by chrisoleary »

Looking at buying a large y-frame trailer but need to convince myself (and the wife) that I really need one.
I am hoping to do a couple of 4-5 day unsupported tours where it will obviously come in handy - but could i cope with panniers. Other jobs it could be used for include fishing, camping, shopping, recycling?????
Could anyone give me advice on what other jobs they use their trailers for and is the y-frame the best choice.
Si

Post by Si »

Mine has recently been used for carrying bags of compost from the garden centre to my plot and on Friday: taking broken old CRT monitor + printer+ scanner to dump. Couldn't manage either of these without the trailer.
Willpower

Post by Willpower »

Yes you need one. Have one and think it#s great. Been used on near 1000mile tour, but also for trips to the garden centre (70kgs compost? No problem....) shops, bike shop, picking stuff up from parcelfarce depot etc etc.

IF you're considering large or heavy loads, I think the yframe is near unbeatable.
MarySkater

Post by MarySkater »

I'm happy with my Burley Nomad, bought several years ago, but there are cheaper options around now. Heavy items to the dump. Also cats to the vet. (Bit of cushioning under the cat box, and a screen on the front to protect them from flicked-up pebbles.)
Mary
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Anybody got views on the Croozer cargo trailer?

Trying to convince Mrs.Wildduck to do the weekly shop by cycle...
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

mule trailer
saw one of these at Asda today looked good
essexman

Post by essexman »

For touring i'd suspect panniers are better. Less weight and bulk.

Another trailer use is moving bikes. Ever needed to get a bike somewhere on your bike? If you live near a station its a common requirement.
I hate snow.
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

But panniers have problems with the four plus four litre bottles of squash on special that Mrs.Wildduck insists on buying along with the rest of the weekly shop!
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Re: the mule trailer, did you see any reflective material on the back or mounting opportunities for led lights?
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Re: the mule trailer, did you see any reflective material on the back or mounting opportunities for led lights?

no sorry, but you must be able to bolt something on
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

essexman wrote:For touring i'd suspect panniers are better. Less weight and bulk.

Couldn't be more wrong!

I've used my CF YF for many thousands of miles. I wouldn't even consider using panniers again. Panniers load down a bike, a CF trailer with two wheels at the back, supports itself. All you need to do is tow it behind.

Your bike will still feel like a bike - not like a tank.

No prematurely worn tyres, no heavy bike, no worries about how much stuff you can take. I took my laptop!

I had a plastic suitcase strapped to mine. No doubt you've read my blogs
www.lejogandback.blogspot.com
www.my-grand-tour.blogspot.com

The suitcase has bitten the dust now. Zip packed in. I'm on the lookout for another or something more waterproof.

For shopping, I made a wooden box. Holds tons of stuff!
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3201
Mick F. Cornwall
Willpower

Post by Willpower »

Ah yes I forgot about the handling.
You won't notice a CF trailer is there handling-wise until you get to about 20-30 kgs load. Then all you'll notice is it nudges you when you're slowing down a bit and you'll feel when it goes over bumps (like speedbumps etc not little ones)
Although the trailer is 'limited' at something like 15mph according to the manufacturers, I've done 40 mph with mine loaded and it was steady as a rock. Not all trailers are like this. I suspect the mfrs limit is more to do with the tug-bike's brakeing ability if loaded to the max (90kgs - not many trailers will carry this much).
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

I use a Radical Cyclone trailer as well as panniers to carry lots of things ie: 3.5m closed ext ladder , mates bike, petrol strimmer, plastic compost heap (empty), kangol with transformer, garden waste, shopping and just about anything I can get on it. Oh and I took it on the train to York fully loaded. Take a look at the link below to see some pics.

I once came home from a workshop that was closing were I attended a woodturning club. I had my trailer and both sets of panniers full to the brim. I'm certain that I was overloaded, it sure was hard work getting it home. I think I had well over 50kg of wood for turning.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Great pics donald. Pity you are always behind the camera, the pics can almost look like your bike got there its self! :lol:

Liked the ladder pic you can indeed do a lot with a trailer!

I fancy doing the weekly shop with one. Chas is rather doubtful, then again he can get the kitty litter - cos that is mighty heavy. What are they like on hills?

Mary
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

Going down it gives you a push, going up if it's full it's hard work. but don't let that put you off just use a lower gear and keep chugging. When I used it behind my mtb years ago, if it was to heavy on hills I'd push it.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973