cyclists should get off road onto the provided cyclepaths

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mhara

cyclists should get off road onto the provided cyclepaths

Post by mhara »

This letter is now on the newspaper's website and open for comments.
Any chance some suitable replies could be posted on the newspaper's web?

Devon County Council has spent millions of pounds creating cycle lanes for the safety of cyclists, and to help the flow of traffic.

But a lot still ride on the road and have a complete disregard for the motorists who get frustrated sitting behind them.The county council should bring in a by-law that says if a cycle lane is there cyclists must use it or be fined.

Otherwise, rip up all the cycle lanes and widen the road.

The cyclists would be the first to moan if an accident happened and they got hurt when a perfectly good cycle lane was next to them.

And before anyone says I'm just a car driver having a moan, I'm not - I cycle to work every day and I am disgusted at the cyclists that ride in the road and the ones that ride through red lights.

Let's clamp down on these rogue cyclists and make them use the facilities provided for them.

http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=137329&command=displayContent&sourceNode=137080&contentPK=20934015&folderPk=79957&pNodeId=153652
Dean

Post by Dean »

My response:

Devon County Council has spent millions of pounds creating roads for the benefit of all, and to help the flow of traffic.

But a lot of motorists still have a complete disregard for other road uses, and as a cyclist I get frustrated with motorists who don't acknowledge my right to share the roadspace.

The county council would be better off ripping up all the cycle lanes and widening the road.

The motorists would be the first to moan if an accident happened where a cyclist attempted to cross via a cycle route and they got hurt when a perfectly good road was next to them.

And before anyone says I'm just a cyclist having a moan, I'm not - I do have a car and occasionally use it. But I am disgusted at the motorists who treat the road as their own personal fiefdom and the ones that drive through red lights.

Let's clamp down on these rogue motorists and make them remember that the roads are for transport, not merely for cars.
JQ666

Post by JQ666 »

fantastic response!
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Well there's my pennysworth of spleen venting added to the pot. Gnash Gnash.
Alan
essexman

Post by essexman »

Dean i nominate you for the new press officer of CTC!
I hate snow.
mhara

Post by mhara »

essexman wrote:Dean i nominate you for the new press officer of CTC!

I second that nomination.
Inspired twist on the orginal antagonistic letter.
:D
Dean

Post by Dean »

*takes a bow*
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Yes excellent response.
How does one add comments, beinging thick or what but cannot spot a means of doing so.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
workhard

Post by workhard »

eileithyia wrote:Yes excellent response.
How does one add comments, beinging thick or what but cannot spot a means of doing so.

not thick at all the link has gone. I suspect cock up rather than conspiracy.
mhara

Post by mhara »

Thanks to all those who swiftly wrote in.

Four of the letters have appeared in today's letters page - BUT - the paper is running a Vote on whether cyclists should be made to ride on cycle paths - and so far the vote is heavily against us :evil: .

Please visit http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/exeter.html and vote.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

mhara wrote: - the paper is running a Vote on whether cyclists should be made to ride on cycle paths - and so far the vote is heavily against us

Voted. Now 79% against.
Basil W Bloke

Post by Basil W Bloke »

Ditto.
80.4%
We are normal and we want our freedom
We are normal and we dig Bert Weedon
mhara

Post by mhara »

Wonderful turn-around.

Picture the reaction of any anti-cyclist driver who votes now :D
diapason

Post by diapason »

Now 80.6% :P

N
Advena ego sum in Terra
TwoPlusTen

Post by TwoPlusTen »

Also just voted. We're slipping, it's at Yes: 20.9% No: 79.1%.