Less vehicles! Am I imagining it ?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
stoobs

Less vehicles! Am I imagining it ?

Post by stoobs »

These last few days, has traffic got a bit lighter offpeak and in the evenings?

Is petrol finally expensive enough that people are cutting back on frivolous use? :D

I had a £65 refill :shock: myself a few weeks ago, and was going to call Northern Rock for a mortgage for it! I drive fewer miles than I cycle each year, normally, but that was a shocker.

People may still, short-term, be committed to the school and the work run, but given how many journeys are around the 3 mile mark, do you think this is at least a tipping point? Outside work and school, far fewer journeys are as important as you might be led to believe.

Please don't burst my idyll of roads retrurning to being quiet like they were in the 70s :wink:
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

i think you're right.

i've noticed my neighbour and her 8 year old walking the 1km to school and leaving the 7 seater at home.

and when i go with friends to the pub on our weekly visit, riding around in the evening is a real pleasure.

also, there's this:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6aaps5
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

On Radio 4 "Today" this morning they said petrol sales were down by 20%. I didn't catch the full context or the source of that assertion, though.

Tony S
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

I've not noticed any reduction on my journey into Nottingham.
Sares

Post by Sares »

I haven't really noticed a reduction in traffic, but I have noticed more cycles on the road in the past month or so, and they must be coming from somewhere!

Many of my colleagues are trying to cut back on driving or at least drive more efficiently. One in particular who is known for having a lead foot is now driving much more smoothly and slowly than before. A few others are comtemplating selling the car altogether. I think there is hope if prices stay high (as much as that hurts) of people making significant changes to their behaviour.
PW

Post by PW »

Very quiet this morning. My school bus run was a struggle for time - trying not to run early! Return bike ride was quiet too, even the main road section was almost deserted.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Yesterday I read somewhere (Can't remember where) that Halfords have reported a bit of a boom in bike sales. Looks as though they arent all intended for shed decoration!
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

I havent noticed much change in attitude of drivers here. It now cost me £65 to fill my Golf. I shall add, that not so very long ago (9 months ago), I used to fill my car weekly.

Its now every 3 weeks!

I avoid car driving as much as I possibly can. Although I havent noticed a lessoning of cars on the roads, I have noticed a lot of cyclists about. But as I didnt cycle this time last year, I cant really comment if this is the norm or not.

I for one can no longer afford to drive where I want anymore. Ferry prices too have gone up. Not a surprise that. Its costing me £404 return to Heysham with the car and 2 passengers for a 4 hour crossing for our cycle holiday along Hadrians Wall route.

Next week, I go to York as a foot passenger and train passenger. Price for one return ticket from IOM to York. Less than £60! Bargain.

Mary
GPL

Post by GPL »

noticed more cyclists but put it down to the run of good weather, ive noticed a drop in driver verbal abuse perhaps high cost of fuel occupying the lone brain cell.
Kirst

Post by Kirst »

I cycled to ASDA tonight to get proper old-fashioned limited edition Opal Fruits, and the traffic was hellacious. Hundreds of cars queuing at the ASDA petrol pumps, with the queue backing all the way out onto the main road.

So no, no change here.
I can handle bars and cycle paths but I can't handle cars and psychopaths

http://action.hopenothate.org.uk/page/s/notinmyname
meic

Post by meic »

I suspect the 20% drop in petrol sales is purely due to increasing popularity of diesels.
Yma o Hyd
noonoosdad

Post by noonoosdad »

:D I must admit that whilst cycling back from Night duty during the past week, I have passed 50% more cyclists on my route home. I remember the last feul strike and after about three or four days the traffic seemed to go down to a quarter of the norm and its amazing how quiet the town centre became. I'm hoping this may happen by Monday and I will have a more pleasurable and safer ride into work !
In the words of Jacques Cousteau," Il est tout mon cul et Betty Grable !"
james01

Post by james01 »

Things must be getting serious: a portly local at our regular cycle-stop pub, who always drives the 250 yards from his house for his evening pint arrived yesterday evening on foot, breathless & sweating. Claims he can't afford the petrol. Maybe he'll see the light & join us for an evening 20-miler one of these days...
Big T

Post by Big T »

aesmith wrote:On Radio 4 "Today" this morning they said petrol sales were down by 20%. I didn't catch the full context or the source of that assertion, though.

Tony S

My parents are both OAP's and have virtually stopped using their car. They used to go for long drives in the countryside at weekends but don't now, due to the cost of fuel. They've started using their bus passes more.
byegad

Post by byegad »

I feel there is a slight reduction in off peak traffic. Being retired I can't speak for peak times.